Prepping for Brexit thread - Page 193

New Post Advanced Search

Prepping for Brexit thread

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.6K replies 485.7K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Cynical yes, who isn't these days but 'orrible? Never GQ!
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :D Just imagine the Whitehall Mandarins tearing their hair out in clumps as they struggle to turn the prime minister into an international statesman as oppposed to an international laughing stock. You could feel for them.

Well, almost!:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you've never read John Crace's political sketches in The Guardian you'll be surprised and appalled to know that various Tories are falling over themselves to brown nose Johnson for potential jobs in his new cabinet. Today's column is appallingly humorous and depressing at the same time.

If I were a backbencher I'd be staying well clear: how can you want to be associated with an immoral, philandering, incompetent and lazy liar?

Anyway, it appears that the allotment where I went to water my neighbour's plot may have vacancies (it certainly appeared that way!). It appears an increasingly good idea to have a source of fresh vegetables not contingent on a swift passage through Dover. Given the changing climate perhaps a lemon tree would be a good idea. ;-)
  • GreyQueenGreyQueen Forumite
    12.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    :) Good luck with getting an allotment, silverwhistle. I have one-and-a-half plots side by side (there are plenty going begging for others on the same site). It keeps me fed, exercised, topped up with Vit D and happy.

I can highly recommend chard as the 24/7/365 no maintenance multi-purpose veggie. I bought a pack in about 2009. One pack. I let it set seed and have had volunteer plants ever since.

You can eat the stems as a celery-substitute and eat the leaves as a salading or stir-fryed. It's highly nutritious, frost hardy, requires nil tending and yields leaves and stalks at any time of the year. If I'm not eating it immediately, I treat it as a cut flower and stick it in a water jug in the kitchen, keeps for 2-3 days.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you've never read John Crace's political sketches in The Guardian you'll be surprised and appalled to know that various Tories are falling over themselves to brown nose Johnson for potential jobs in his new cabinet. Today's column is appallingly humorous and depressing at the same time.
    I love John Crace!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • DryTheRainDryTheRain Forumite
    93 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Hello all, it is nice to be back after the tribulations of a tribunal, successful thank goodness.

Now the anxiety's subsided a bit, I'm about to start rebuilding the stash with a trip to Aldi later today, health permitting. They'll be sensible purchases of course, but more than anything I'm looking forward to buying 10 bars of dark chocolate at the till, that will be a great feeling :D

I guess it's been useful to have a bit of practice living largely off the store cupboard, it's helped clarify what's most useful, along with stuff I either avoided or couldn't stomach (sorry hotdogs!). Funnily enough I really enjoyed eating tinned fruit again, lovely straight from the fridge during the hot weather.

Meanwhile, The Sun is reporting that our dear leaders are about to drop a leaflet entitled Why The Government Believes You Shouldn't Panic :rotfl: Not 100% sure if this is a Sun windup but it's definitely reassuring having a beans and bog roll backstop in place!
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    If you're prepared for an uncertain future as much as is possible M'dear then there is no need for panic. I've reached the conclusion that what will be WILL be and no amount of worry or sleeplessness on my part change what it will be.

My preps will mostly be canned and jarred foods and packets with good long use by dates. Also as much wood as we can aquire for the stove and we've good sturdy footwear, outdoor and waterproof clothing, warm winter gear and house and garden equipment , all that we need already. We're as well prepped as we can be and we'll have to live day to day from now on watching and waiting to see what our futures actually turn out to be. I'm sure as sure there will be changes to what we currently have as 'normal' and perhaps our income won't in the future give us the ease and comfort we've become accustomed to (in a very mild way on a pension) BUT I'm also sure as sure that when the moaning is over, as people will inevitably moan, we'll get on and make as good a life for ourselves as a nation as it's possible to make with what we find post Brexit if it happens because despite all appearances to the contrary in modern times we are a tough and resilient people in this little island, no matter which bit of it we identify with and we don't like to be beaten by anything!
  • DryTheRainDryTheRain Forumite
    93 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Good morning MrsLW, I am glad to hear your preparations are continuing apace and always enjoy your positive thoughts :)

Also pleasing is how much more environmentally friendly prepping can be. My plastic consumption has noticeably dropped with all these nice recyclable cans and jars, as well as less packaging with bulk buys and supersizes. Who knows, maybe there'll be a green new deal to replace lost jobs and reduce energy bills.

I'm intrigued by The Sun running that story though, complete with a picture of the leaflet. The Sun's print circulation is massive as it's often shared in workplaces etc, so I wonder if it's being used to sound out grassroots reaction - will readers panic at the word panic?
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Probably not, most people will just read the piece and abandon the paper and get on with what they're doing, some folks will always put the most pessimistic spin on things and think the worst and be very negative and a little scared because it IS an unknown future just now but I think there many more people who have enough life experience and common sense to know that the world as we know it won't disappear instantly in a puff of smoke even if things change and we have life a little tougher than it currently is. Those of us who have experience of life here in the UK before we joined the common market know that life is perfectly liveable and comfortable here without the tie to Europe it will just be different and we'll have to adapt BUT humans are adaptable and although there will be disgruntlement and crossness life WILL go on and we'll make the nation good again and living in the UK, all 4 nations within it, will be as good as we can collectively make it!
  • maryjane87maryjane87 Forumite
    8 posts
    Sixth Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    DigforVictory ~ Thanks for the recommendations ~ I’d love to hear more about what you’re doing, growing preserving etc? We have recently turned the front garden into a mini allotment along with some raised beds in the back and a few hens. Always curious what the likeminded are up to! 😀