Loopy's Bankruptcy Journey

Options

Comments

• jaycdam
    jaycdam Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Wow!
    Have just this thread for the first time and I must say, if this was a novel, it would be at the No 1 spot for months.
    Firstly, Lou..... you have got to be the most amazing person I have ever had the pleasure to read. You are an inspiration to hundreds if not thousands of frightened people who are at their wits end, do not know what to do and spend most if not all of their time crying over what must seem like an impossible situation. I know this sounds familiar to you. My OH has the court appointment on the 24th In Southampton and without your story, we would have been scared ****less. In the past 2 hours , I have laughed, cried cheered, cried again, booed the baddies and almost thrown rotton tomatoes at the baddies. You have taken us on a rollercoaster of a ride, the ups and downs have, at times been heartbreaking, and only now can I have some idea of what you were going through.
    No-one plans to become BR, but when all else fails...what can you do.
    My OH has contemplated suicide at times when the going got really tough.
    She took out loans and Cards to pay of her ex's debts because she had an excellent credit rating. Now she doesn't sleep, hardly eats and our relationship is suffering because she thinks that she has to shoulder the blame herself.
    I thank you for your Blog, I understand that it is not going to be easy but thanks to you, that pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel has got that slight bit bigger. We will be given a second chance to make up for our first mistake. And be strong enough not to fall into the same trap again.
    I wish you all the luck in the world with all of the following:
    a) Money/Finances
    b) Job prospects
    c) Diet
    d) Your life

A lot of people feel that they know you personally after sharing so much of your life with us, I thank you for allowing us into your life.
    And a great deal of credit goes to all the people who have given positive responses to your questions.
    As for the negative people, they are only jealous because they hate to see people acheive anything.
    I am so glad that you have sorted your life out and hope that your inspiration will help others, including us, sort theirs out.
    :j If playing is just for fun....why keep score?:confused:
  • loopy_lou1
    Options
    Oh my God - I can't see!!!! I am crying my eyes out!!!
    I came on this forum for advice when I know I'd been a stupid 20 year old who knew nothing about credit scoring or how deep into debt people can become by overspending by about £100 - £300 a month. If you do the calculations that's what I did over about 10-12 years.

I'd been told so many times to go bankrupt but I was scared and guilty and ashamed. In this global climate - I feel bad about doing what I did and in a way I feel I contributed. Then you look at MFI and Woolworths and all the BILLIONS of pounds international banks and companies owe in debts. Carphone Warehouse have been bankrupt THREE times and are now one of the BIGGEST mobile providers and are a thriving business.....people make bad decisions - they make mistakes - it's human nature.

I am sorry for getting into debt in the first place - I am NOT sorry for holding my hand up and saying I need help - I can't cope.

I have one week left of my bankruptcy - I will be here on 12/12/2008. It's been a strange year. Not too different to any other year - just the fact that in that 12 months I have not got a PENNY overdrawn or written a cheque or put something on a card. I intend to keep it that way!

To the above poster - you said all those lovely things about me - I just told the truth. I don't know any of you personally - these words are text on a screen - you don't know my family, where I went to school, what my inspirations and aspirations are, my marital status - nothing. All you know is that I am someone just like you - or I was. Frightened and alone. You are not alone - this forum helped me like it helps thousands every day - so I want to thank Martin - I received a personal message from him for which I was very grateful and Fermi - the rock who I don't know from Adam but knows more about me than my own father and to everyone who helped me and I hope I helped others.

The above post was lovely - now I need a tissue

Love L x
    BSC No 60
    Wednesday 12.12.2007
    :j:jDischarged 12.12.2008:j:j

• dalip
    dalip Posts: 7,045 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Loopy. Yes that year does go quick especially when you look back and reflect. I too have not written a cheque ect in twelve months and i don't miss it one bit.

Good luck in the furture girl and will look out for your post on the 12/12.Dx
    Free impartial debt advice available from: National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000 | The Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) - Tel: 0800 138 1111 | Find your local Citizens Advice Bureau
    Laugh at yourself and others laugh with you.Laugh at others and you laugh alone. BSC No 107:D
  • loopy_lou1
    Options
    33hours and 54 minutes to go!

I am going away this weekend, too. I booked time off ages ago to have 12.12.2008 off. Because it's chistmas I decided to have a couple more days so I was off today and don't go back til Monday. Last week a really good friend I haven't seen since July because she's just got married asked if I fancied a night out with the girls cos I haven't seen her for ages so what better way to say goodbye to my year of bankruptcy than that?
    I went Christmas shopping today and got a lovely present for my best friend's little boy. It's so nice to think that at the end of this festive period I will still have a bit of cash left and I've lived within a budget. What a difference a year makes??!!! x
    BSC No 60
    Wednesday 12.12.2007

• dalip
    Options
    Indeed loopy.

When i think back to just over a year ago,say last sept i can not believe i have come so far.

From those dark heavy debt clouds the sun has shone,ok not full on high summer sun but more like spring fresh sunshne with the promise of better to come. Does that make sense?:o DX
    Free impartial debt advice available from: National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000 | The Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) - Tel: 0800 138 1111 | Find your local Citizens Advice Bureau
    Laugh at yourself and others laugh with you.Laugh at others and you laugh alone. BSC No 107:D
  • loopy_lou1
    Options
    Yes, absolutely and you know what it's gone so quick. My mother and I passed the place I was stopped by the police! Remember the day before I had my court day and my head was all over the place and I'd just had a car crash and I was in hell? I am so looking forward to this weekend and this time last year I was drowning in a sea of paper and debt!!!
    BSC No 60
    Wednesday 12.12.2007

• dalip
    Options
    I actually think it does us good to look back once in a while and realise how far we can travel in 12 mths. Also acts as a very good reminder not to go there again :rolleyes: .

I find it quite scarey to think how bad things where back then.
  • jellygirl_2
    Options
    eagles74 wrote: »
    Hi loopy_lou1

It would be great to go through this with someone. It is scary thinking about going bankrupt, it seems such a big thing.
    The great thing is that there are so many supportive people on here and so much information on the website.
    I havent got any of the paperwork yet but im quite looking forward to getting it, it will be the start of sorting my mess out!

We might have been daft in the past but at least we are trying to sort our mistakes out. I dont know about you but I have learnt alot from this.

eagles74

Hi - Im also in a similar boat to you - have accepted that Br is probably the only way for me too - just starting to plan my way through it - it is scary, Im 40 and single - been in debt for years but it all has come to a head really - time to face it and sort it - I have asked some advice on this forum and everyone has been really helpful and supportive - youre not on your own.:o
    :j Goodbye debt - Hello sanity! :j
  • loopy_lou1
    Options
    This time last year I was drying my hair and putting my make-up on in a trance about to drive to court. I remember everything about it. I remember washing my hair three times because I forgot what I was doing. I wore a suit and an alice band in my hair and pearl earrings. I had my blue folder and my £485.00 ready to pay the fees. I wasn't scared at this time I was numb. The next two hours I remember really well, too. I drove to my county court and I sat staring at a shop for half an hour in the car and then I went to buy some chewing gum with my folder in hand. And I remember the walk to the courthouse as if every single car going past knew exactly what I was doing!! This morning I woke up with a massive smile on my face and I checked the Insolvency Register - "Discharged on the 12th December 2008" - I can't believe it's been a year. I sat here in absolute hysterics crying because I am so relieved it's over. I am discharged and no BRO or IPO.

I am off away tonight to stay with my friend who knows I went bankrupt and she's been brilliant so we can have a drink later on to a year gone and a chapter closed.
    In 20 minutes time I was walking to the car and my dad was coming back from taking my dog for a walk. She's no longer with us but this morning I went and made toast and smalltalk with my dad and he doesn't know what today means to me. I really didn't expect to feel this much. I just thought it would be an ordinary day and I would be happy. I am not happy I am ectstatic!!!! I feel so relieved that now I can look for a better job and really sort myself out. I swore I'd do that last year but restrictions on your finances due to the SOA stop you.
    Today feels really special to me. I am wittering now but this is great and I want to get rid of all that paperwork which is in a plastic bag and DESTROY it today!!
    BSC No 60
    Wednesday 12.12.2007

• So_Sad_Angel
    Options
    Ohhh Lou what a lovely post!!! I can really tell how emotional this is to you!!

Enjoy your shreading of all those old documents & thankyou for sharing your thoughts. It really helps those of us who are tettering on the edge.

Thanks, Angexx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure