What have I done ......

Options

Comments

• Dimps_123
    Dimps_123 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Wow that sounds amazing. Do you do it on your own or have a fab travelling companion? I haven't really had Europe on my list. I'm liking the sound of India/ Africa/ Caribbean/ New Zealand/ Australia. Right now an island with white sand and turquoise sea sounds bliss. I'm really not one to just sit on the beach and do nothing - much rather be exploring what the locals get up to. But I think I could do with a rest lol

xx
    DIMPS
    Working towards being debt free :rotfl:June 2022
  • Plain_Jane
    Plain_Jane Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Dimps

I've just read your diary through and I can resonate with some if not all. I am not a single mother but my twins are 19 and one is at Uni and the other still lives at home. Both at home at the moment due to the summer. I thought my life would end when they both initially went and cried and cried. In reality I saw more of DT1 than I thought I would and DT2 came home after 7 weeks. They always need you no matter how old they are because you are their mummy. My husband didn't feel as upset as I did and that made me feel lonely but we got used to it and it's a pleasure and more quality time when we do see each other. Even though they are home they are off with their boyfriends and I'm the worst for whining 'when am I going to see you ...' but have realised that it's best to go with the flo and cherish the times we do have together.

I was getting very stressed with work a few years ago and joined a local choir, it's amazing for getting to know people and I am no Adele but go for the fun and enjoy learning the songs. I also do yoga with my hubby, as someone else has mentioned, and that helps when you get home from work with that feeling of dread of doing anything - you feel refreshed, calm and glad that you went. I'm absolutely rubbish as I need to lose a lot of weight but have got past the point of caring what other people think - I just want to be as bendy as them :):)

We are also in debt and here for the long haul which can be frustrating and just as I think things are going well something comes and messes it up i.e. we had a freak hailstorm last month which meant a £450 excess fee for my poor car that got battered. Emergency funds are the best for this so try and build one in.

I have subscribed and look forward to joining you on your journey - good luck!!
    Just one figure from now on - Total Debt as at 27.8.18 - £44,061.26.

Target to be under £40k by 31.12.18.
  • Dimps_123
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah Plain Jane thank you! I've definitely been a bad one for saying "when am I going to see you" and then I think back to when I was 21 and realised I just did my own thing. (well actually I fell pregnant and realised life wasn't so easy lol).

I love the idea of joining a choir or am dram group. I've definitely lost my confidence recently. It all sounds like a good idea at the time I book/ plan my initial meeting but back out every single time. I think I need to make a pact with myself and make sure I go next time - I've lost count of the number of dates I've arranged and chickened out since I tried internet dating. I love the idea but fear takes over the closer I get and I just think its safer at home, buy a bar of chocolate and stick on a film.

I think I need to set myself some mini targets or say yes to everything?
    xx
    DIMPS
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do you do it on your own or have a fab travelling companion?
    I go with my partner. A lovely man I've known for a long time now (but he's a bit less confident than me). Obviously it makes you easier if you have someone to travel with but my point is I never, ever thought I'd have the confidence to do this. But her I am. The first time I was sitting in a train in Amsterdam heading for Vienna I just could not get my head round what I was doing. It was just a felling of having achieved something that I never thought I could. Lots of people do it every day in life and don't turn a hair but for me it was a really big thing. Love doing it and I'm going to continue as long as my health allows.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    I think I need to set myself some mini targets or say yes to everything?
    Mini targets and then the world's your oyster,
  • Dimps_123
    First Anniversary
    Options
    That really is inspirational Toni'sfriend!! Well done you. There is so much to see and do on this lovely lovely planet and I'd be very sad to think I might not get to see some of it simply because I stopped wanting to get out there. I certainly feel a lot happier/ better now that I have put some of my feelings down here. Baby steps .........

Thank you all
    xx
    DIMPS
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    Good for you. Dimps. I have very confidence that you will get to where you want to be.
  • Dimps_123
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning :-)

I'm feeling positive today! Happy its Friday, plus of course the sun is shining which makes everything a little nicer. I've written my shopping list - shorter as I still have a few meals in the freezer that I will use up.

My problem today is that I have so many jobs I need to do at home plus loads of things I want to get on with - my two courses, tackle the garden, just kick back and relax ....... I don't really know which bit to start first, especially as I know I won't get it all done in one day. I'm busy on Sunday so no chores. I tend to get into a never ending circle of writing a long long list of things that need to be done, get overwhelmed by the sheer amount to be done and end up doing nothing.

Anyway, shopping on my way home and I need to make myself do a couple of things on my list tonight!

Hope you all have a fab weekend
    xx
    DIMPS
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I know how you feel, Dimps! I do the exact same.
    I've found breaking it down into achievable goals really helps me.
    Instead of making a list of everything that needs doing, I'll pick 2-3 things that I'll commit to doing that day. Everything else is postponed until another day. Then, if I do end up doing any more, it's a nice bonus. Pressuring ourselves to get everything done we can possibly think of just sets us up for disappointment - even if we get a lot done that day, it'll still feel like a defeat because we didn't get EVERYTHING done.
    If you decide to do 2-3 things, however, you'll feel proud of yourself for achieving what you set out to do. :)
  • Dimps_123
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning Moguline! I am trying to do that, still falling into the trap of just writing a long list lol.

I have put everything into a spreadsheet and ticking it off - I'm liking the greens that are starting to appear. But today - oh I don't know - I can't decide which ones I want to do. Especially as the normal housework needs doing too. Oh and the beach is calling me:rotfl:
    DIMPS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family