PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Lodger wanting to cook

Options

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Oh dear... The saga continues - Had a visit last night from the police. They are trying to find and make contact with 'him' after some concerns had been raised. Asked me if I had any information about his whereabouts, friends, etc.

Not had any contact from either of them since they left last November, and half expect to see a report in the local papers that a body had been fished out of the river.

Meanwhile, the replacements have turned out to be wonderful, kind, and caring young ladies. Never a cross word with me, (nearly) always doing the washing up promptly, and sober. Have cooked a few meals for them, usually towards the end of the month when money is getting tight. In return, they have promised to do my hair next month, slap on a bit of makeup, and then we party :j
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Oh dear... The saga continues - Had a visit last night from the police. They are trying to find and make contact with 'him' after some concerns had been raised. Asked me if I had any information about his whereabouts, friends, etc.

Not had any contact from either of them since they left last November, and half expect to see a report in the local papers that a body had been fished out of the river.

Meanwhile, the replacements have turned out to be wonderful, kind, and caring young ladies. Never a cross word with me, (nearly) always doing the washing up promptly, and sober. Have cooked a few meals for them, usually towards the end of the month when money is getting tight. In return, they have promised to do my hair next month, slap on a bit of makeup, and then we party :j

How is that a saga. Police will attend dozens of addresses if they have a concern for welfare.
  • need_an_answer
    need_an_answer Posts: 2,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the update freebear...I know you suffered a lot at the time but it was an entertaining thread.

It just goes to show like all things you can have a bad experience but then find something far better...long may your current lodgers and you co habit well!
    in S 38 T 2 F 50
    out S 36 T 9 F 24 FF 4

2017-32 2018 -33 2019 -21 2020 -5 2021 -4 2022
  • Angelschild
    Angelschild Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Thoroughly entertaining way to spend my lunch break, reading this thread!
  • FreeBear
    Options
    Latest fun & games with the current two lodgers. After a few glasses of wine to wash down the BBQ, they pinned me down and dyed my hair a rather vibrant shade of blue. Looks like I'm going to be dragged along to a Pride event tomorrow. Never a dull moment with lodgers in the house ;)

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can recommend some nail varnish to match the blue hair. :D

Like a lot of others I have read this thread with interest and some entertainment. I did start to panic for you when I read the “pinned me down”, 2 thoughts sprang into my mind but it turned out to be a bit of fun.

I think you must be one of the best LLs around, you go out of your way to be good to your lodgers.

Hopefully this couple will work out long term. I’m sure a lot of us look forward to more posts on “the saga of Freebears lodger(s)” :T
  • FreeBear
    Options
    I'll pass on the nail varnish thank you all the same..

The LGBQT lot are a noisy bunch, what with the singing, shouting, and whistles. It certainly woke up a few of the locals. A friendly bunch too. Plenty of free hugs to go round with no strings attached. :grouphug:

• FreeBear
    Options
    Young Miss A asked very politely if a friend of hers could come over and stay for a couple of nights, crashing on the lounge floor. Of course, I said yes as long as it was only for a couple of nights, and she was responsible for feeding him.

Turns out he is homeless, on benefits, and sleeping rough. First thing to do was to get him showered and cleaned up, then lay down the ground rules. He has offered to do a bit of gardening in exchange for somewhere to sleep, so I've had him digging out tree stumps and bamboo today. Poor lad is exhausted now....

Unfortunately, I do not have the space to keep him, and to have a third lodger would put me in HMO territory as well as taking me over the £7,500 Rent a Room allowance. So I'm not in a position to offer him a room for more than a few days.

Does anyone want a new lodger ?
    A bit shy and withdrawn, doesn't drink or do drugs. Eager to help and more than willing to do a bit of gardening or any other manual labour. A quiet semi-rural area would suit him best.

• abraham5
    Options
    Why are you unsure of taking a decision?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    Young Miss A asked very politely if a friend of hers could come over and stay for a couple of nights, crashing on the lounge floor. Of course, I said yes as long as it was only for a couple of nights, and she was responsible for feeding him.

Turns out he is homeless, on benefits, and sleeping rough. First thing to do was to get him showered and cleaned up, then lay down the ground rules. He has offered to do a bit of gardening in exchange for somewhere to sleep, so I've had him digging out tree stumps and bamboo today. Poor lad is exhausted now....

Unfortunately, I do not have the space to keep him, and to have a third lodger would put me in HMO territory as well as taking me over the £7,500 Rent a Room allowance. So I'm not in a position to offer him a room for more than a few days. - You realise you're already in HMO territory - 3 or more people forming two or more households...

Does anyone want a new lodger ?
    A bit shy and withdrawn, doesn't drink or do drugs. Eager to help and more than willing to do a bit of gardening or any other manual labour. A quiet semi-rural area would suit him best.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to help him find a room in a shared house? That way he would have tenants rights...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure