PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Lodger wanting to cook

Options

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have you decided how much to charge the 2nd lodger?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    In all fairness to her, as soon as her benefits hit her bank account, she has transfered the rent across to me before spending a penny on herself - We have had a long talk about finances and what would happen if she tried to take advantage of my good nature. The partner brings a bit more money to the table which will help in the finances department. And having had the gf staying over a couple of times, I've had opportunity to "check her out".

Professionalism isn't really in your vocab is it?
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    Don't you have the word "No" in your vocabulary?

Just had a call from the ex-lodger asking if he could have a letter sent to my address. "No" was my first, second, and third response. Told him to get it addressed to his local post office and collect from there.

Didn't ask why he needed to use my address - Not my problem, and I'm three months or more past caring.

G_M wrote: »
    Have you decided how much to charge the 2nd lodger?

Was thinking about half the LHA rate - Having her here won't increase the bills by much. Brings the total rate up to a comparable couples price to other properties in the area.

Comms69 wrote: »
    Professionalism isn't really in your vocab is it?

They are both young, so a little bit of guidance doesn't go amiss. Got them a money tin each so that they can take part in the Sealed Pot Challenge - Just a gentle prod to save money.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • allypally26
    Options
    You are not their parents, counsellor etc.

You are a LL start acting like one.

It’s up to them if they save or not, the only involvement in their finances should be ensuring they can pay the rent period.
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    FreeBear wrote: »
    They are both young, so a little bit of guidance doesn't go amiss. Got them a money tin each so that they can take part in the Sealed Pot Challenge - Just a gentle prod to save money.
    This is a massive overreach on your part.

Collect their rent, respect their privacy, fulfil your obligations.

Live your own life, instead of inveigling your way into theirs.
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The general rule of thumb is: Singles should NEVER rent rooms to any type of couple.

They often find the couple "outnumber them" in their own home and start to "take over". They can then also have you "dragged into" their personal spats and moods about each other. Both make for very uncomfortable living.

Singles renting is a strange ballgame as everything's "your space" and having another "stranger" in that space, while you're alone to deal with issues/clash of expectations is much harder than when a couple rent out a room as they're not alone in their dealings and issues etc, so you've nobody to bounce ideas off, or moan to.

I couldn’t have a lodger, I’m too selfish about my space.
  • breaking_free
    Options
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    I couldn’t have a lodger, I’m too selfish about my space.

Depends on the lodger though. My current lodger leaves for work before me and goes to bed ridiculously early so I see him for maybe 3 hours maximum when we watch TV in the evenings.

The lodger prior to him was still training at their job so when she came home of an evening it was straight to her room to study.

Before her I had a young fella who was quite literally always out - probably never saw him for more than 5 minutes at a stretch!

The only lodger I had who was really chatty and sociable ended up being asked to leave by me! That's when I realized I wanted to have my cake and eat it too; selfish I know...
    "The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
  • FreeBear
    Options
    Collect their rent, respect their privacy, fulfil your obligations.

Live your own life, instead of inveigling your way into theirs.

They are paying for the privilege of living here, and have full use of much of the house & gardens. I will do my best to make them feel welcome, keep them warm, and fed (withing limits). As soon as they go upstairs, they are assured of privacy.

I have no intention of mothering them, and they are free to lead their lives as they see fit. But being youngsters (one has just left home for the first time), a little bit of guidance will be offered if they ask for it.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 25 February 2019 at 5:12AM
    Options
    Just make sure they can't find the hidden cams, link to the videos?

I want to think this is all a wind up.. But my dad was stabbed by one of his, Off her meds!

I would recommend having a good bolt on your bed door at night. Not tiny brass one.

• FreeBear
    edited 25 February 2019 at 1:20PM
    Options
    Hidden cameras would be a huge invasion of privacy - Will treat that "idea" with all the derision it deserves.

The original couple that were the subject of this thread have gone and will never return. The replacement lodgers are by comparison, a quiet, gentle, and kind pair (the partner has now moved in). Neither of them drink, and they get on and do the washing up once they have eaten.

They've taken over the bathroom with shampoo & "stuff", but I don't mind. At least I don't have to go hunting for makeup if/when I need some :p

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback