PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

June 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Evening all :)

Another NSD here, once again I have simply been too busy to spend any money.

Tomorrow is another matter though, as it's my Son's birthday... still have a couple of bits to get for that, so I already know I'm spending ;)

Have a nice night everyone
    Fox
    x
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 June 2018 at 12:21AM
    Options
    I have an absolute ton of food. Been trying to live out of freezer/stores, but I end up with so much more, when I batch cook. Anyhow, spent £4.33 in Lidl on 3 different houmous, carrots, sundried tomatoes & a multipack of crisps and 11p on 2 x ys leeks, plus £5 at the market - got loads of really sweet tomatoes, 9 advocados, 2 trays of fine beans, lots of mushrooms & 6 bunches of corriander (yuk bleedin yuk). I picked up the wrong bunches, meant to get parsley. Might have to turn it into carrot & corriander soup - never made it before & I can Google, but ANY RECIPES APPRECIATED. Was gonna use bouillon, carrots, corriander & red lentils, season - anything else?? Have an amazing w/e everyone. Have updated sig. EDIT: Iceland have started introducing bottle return vending machines in2 their stores. Get you Iceland - soon they will be selling Artisan Bread (nah, maybe not !!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnz4-OwzRso
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,583 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thursday I spent £0.80p in Heron foods on Cashew Dream. I was so chuffed to actually find some of this at 40p ( as no Heron near me); but the taste is dissapointing, so won't be rushing out to buy it again even at that price.

Yesterday I nipped into Tesco and got three for £4.00 on meat free bits and pulled Oumph which was £2.00. I haven't tried this one yet.

Off to add £6.80 to total.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £106.38 May £?
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • FoxFace
    edited 16 June 2018 at 5:52PM
    Options
    Okay, I'm done spending for the day :D

Total of £17.02p, all on food for my son's birthday... It sounds like a lot, but I was just thinking how overboard I would have gone if I didn't have my cash budget... I put a lot of items back that I really didn't need, so that's a win in my book :)

Also picked up my budget for next week, still £13.02p under budget so far for the month :)

Have a lovely evening everyone
    Fox
    x
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Veggie curry was delicious. Made double so we have leftovers in the fridge but that's going to be a regular feature on the MrsSS meal planner it was yummy. Did some yoghurt mix with mint sauce to go with it. I used to make home made peshwari naans, wonder if I could make the dough and freeze it?.

Another veggie meal tonight, OH not best pleased, but its two against one :D

I can't really work out how I seem to be spending so much this month, but I suspect its just that I'm counting properly now. We are eating really healthily - lots of veg - so I'm not unhappy just really puzzled. I think we might be up to £500 this month!:eek:
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    FoxFace wrote: »
    Okay, I'm done spending for the day :D

Total of £17.02p, all on food for my son's birthday... It sounds like a lot, but I was just thinking how overboard I would have gone if I didn't have my cash budget... I put a lot of items back that I really didn't need, so that's a win in my book :)

Also picked up my budget for next week, still £13.02p under budget so far for the month :)

Have a lovely evening everyone
    Fox
    x

Shows how useful this page and mindset is, it's so easy to throw a fortune at food for a birthday, but I looked at £17 as a lot too, but how easy to spend twice that without thinking! :)
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 June 2018 at 10:27AM
    Options
    Happy Sunday morning everyone. It’s cloudy where I am and I’m also sick so today will be a staying in day. I almost went out to get some bits to make ramen because that’s such a huge comfort food for me. However, I cobbled together a dang fine substitute with what we have in the house including two chicken thighs I pulled from the freezer yesterday. I have some left for lunch later this afternoon after taking a nap. All the pollen lately has finally given me a sinus infection. Oh well. Thankfully it doesn’t seem too bad this time around. Plus, I’d much rather be sick now than on Wednesday when we’re leaving for our holiday. :) Here are my spends for the past few days...

€27.88 at Delhaize: various fruit, veg, yoghurt, some YS steak, some salmon, and dips.

€37.66 at Lidl: This was more than anticipated because I forgot it was Italian week until I arrived. I bought a couple packets of sun dried tomatoes for OH to take on holiday as snacks, some cheese for me to snack on, along with a huge chunk of Pecorino. We’re out of Parmesan so I bought Pecorino as a cheaper alternative. They also had a sale on pork belly, finally had the Spanish tortilla again that OH likes, and I bought toilet paper and a piece of salmon.

€3.05 at the market yesterday for ginger, cilantro, and peas.

€4.63 at the Asian supermarket for a giant bottle of sriracha.

I’m kind of annoyed with myself because I could’ve waited on some things at Lidl that pushed me over my self imposed limit. I need to remember that it’ll be there again soon.

TOTAL SO FAR:
    €205.45 / €300.00
    8 / 10 NSD

I feel weirdly uncomfortable with my total being so high so soon into the month. I think there’s been a lot of emotional spending this month on my part. At least I can possibly look forward to still having about €90 of spending money to bring home treats from holiday. Day to day shopping while away will be counted from my travel budget. Between now and Wednesday morning when we leave, I think there may be just about €10 of spending. Fingers crossed! Have a lovely Sunday, everyone! :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I add a chopped onion to my carrot and coriander soup - fry it for a few minutes to soften, then add a teaspoon of ground coriander and cook for a further minute before adding the stock and other ingredients :)
    Thank you for that, I made it and added onion, turned out lovely.

Made some carrot & coriander soup, was seriously lovely, but looked more green than orange, though not bothered about that. This is definately a keeper. It really was lovely as was, thought I would put up recipe.

2 tablespoons of Bouillon Powder
    5-6 Medium Carrots
    1 Large White Onion
    1 Large Handful of Red Lentils
    1 Large Bunch Coriander
    1 very generous tablespoon of garlic puree

Just bunged all the ingredients (minus the coriander & garlic), peeled, cut somewhat, into water (I don't do exact measurements). Boiled 'till soft. Added the coriander about 15 mins from the end and added the garlic puree kinda towards the end. It's not like fresh garlic, gives a more rounded taste. Then blitzed with a hand blender.

Gonna try and quickly do a spinach & potato curry before I go out, otherwise the spinach will need to be flung. Off to a street festival - should be fun. Have a lovely Sunday everyone.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Your soup sounds lovely, SD. Would you mind posting your recipe for the potato and spinach curry, when you make it, please :)
    I made it. I was intending to make a ‘simple’ curry, but it ‘morphed’, with me adding ingredients that needed using up from the fridge. You can keep it as simple as you like though and use what you have in.

3 medium/small red onions
    Boiled Potatoes with skin on (I used baby ones), sliced
    2 tsps Curry Powder, 2 tsps cumin
    2 tbsp tomato puree
    1 can chickpeas
    Mushrooms
    Spinach (I used fresh, but frozen is great)
    2 tomatoes, cut small like salsa
    Handful of fine beans
    Garlic (I used puree from a tube, but any is good)
    Coconut milk

I did it moreorless, to the list above. Fried the onions, added the potatoes, curry powder, cumin, tomato puree and chickpeas, then added some water. Let that cook a bit. Add the mushrooms, spinach and the tomatoes. I added pre-cooked fine beans, as I don’t like ‘al dente’. I finished it off with a couple of tablespoons of garlic puree & some coconut milk. If you are using fresh garlic, I would add much less and add sooner to cook it off, but puree is much milder. It does taste really lovely, but like I say, you can really add what you want.
  • FoxFace
    Options
    Big shop done... starting to notice it is a bit more of a challenge now my original stock has depleted considerably!

£41.92p spent, so that's £18.08p less than the £60 weekly budget and £31.10p still in the rolling kitty :)

Have a lovely Sunday everyone!
    Fox
    x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts