Shop Radio License? scammers?

Options

Comments

• Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    These people are a nuisance. I had a letter and then a few phone calls from them. I don't need a licence, as I work from home and have no customers or employees here.

Having examined what they have to say, it does seem that they are trying to exercise some kind of authority that they do not have. They cited the Copyright and Patents Act as their legal authority to operate (not sure on that). However, unless the Act specifically requires the public to give them information, then no one is bound to give them information.

I sent them on their way with no information and no money and they haven't come back to me. :)
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    zaax wrote: »
    Artists and musicians do not get anymoney from PRS. It all goes to PRS and the record companies, but none to the singers or writers.

BTW music writers and artist do not make any money from record sales. Their money come from live performances

Complete and Utter Tripe. http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties6.htm
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The way to deal with anyone soliciting information by making a cold call is to inform them that there is a £25 Admin charge for dealing with solicited information request.
    Once the Fee has been paid, they will be given a pre-arranged time to call for a 15 minute slot to request information.
    Ask if they would like to process payment via paypal so you can book them a slot for the call.
    Be happy...;)
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    zaax wrote: »
    Artists and musicians do not get anymoney from PRS. It all goes to PRS and the record companies, but none to the singers or writers.

BTW music writers and artist do not make any money from record sales. Their money come from live performances

Don't forget those record companies etc have lent money to the artists (an Advance), and this money helps the artist reduce the debt they owe the record company. So yes, the artists do get money, but they get it advanced, and it may well be long spent by the time the recoupment is coming in.
  • I like some of the work arounds, like adding an admin fee. I do the same when complaining to big companies. If they don't respond within the first 2 letters then a £10 admin fee is backdated and added to each subsequent letter...soon starts adding up and perfectly legal (they would do it back!!) that usually gets their attention.
    I agree these are a pest, like private parking companies who use ANPR cameras. They have no legal write to demand information and how would they know what was happening in a factory by the fact it's private property?? They would have seek permission from me "the legal landowner" to find out if I'm committing an alleged "civil" offence....I pity the shop owners...no getting away from that one
    When a jar contains rocks, pebbles and sand is it truly full? What about beer?
  • Grumpybloke_2
    Options
    I'm well confused. My daughter has just opened a beauty salon and has been approached by PPL and told she needs a licence. The cost quoted is £158. She is just starting out in business and that's a lot of money and now I see that PRS want about the same so that's £300+
    Does she actually need a licence from both or not ?
    Is this enforceable or do we just tell them to go away ??
  • Cornucopia
    edited 3 July 2013 at 10:29PM
    Options
    The licences are to be able to play music/radio/tv to employees and customers - if that is being done, then the licences are required.

There are various loopholes documented in this thread.

It is ultimately enforceable, but whether it ever gets that far is unknown (because the costs far outweigh the benefit).

What you don't have to do is help them. So you don't need to let them on the premises, and you don't need to answer any questions or provide information.
  • "So you don't need to let them on the premises"
    it's a nice idea but when you have a "shop" that the public can enter at will it's a bit tricky I would have thought. Factories, offices and other "non public" premises wouldn't have that issue? (private property?) It would be good to hear from someone who's a solicitor or expert in this kind of litigation. Like I say you have the option to not have a radio or similar device, but who wants to work in a place like that? I dare say it wouldn't stop the harassing calls from them still trying it on (my old lecturer used get the same treatment for not having a tv license, for which he didn't have a tv!) OR go to an invite only system so you can vet who comes onto the premises. At the end of the day they would have to prove a breach of "something" by means of perhaps a personal visit, recorded and logged and presumable they would have to make themselves known to you at the time so were aware of your "deed" and thus help towards "not" doing it again, or pay up? They can't just turn up demanding money....no court in the land would back them up if proper robust/ just procedures were not followed. The evidence to date suggests non of the above. Scammers, scandalous and ultimately non enforceable:mad: timewasters
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Yes, if you have a shop, you can't really prevent them entering as if they were a member of the public. However, if they had already hassled you via post and/or phone (as they do), you could ban them from your premises via common law (also called withdrawal of the implied right of access) and they would be obliged to obey (even with a shop).

Personally (as someone who has composed a few electronic music tunes in the past) I would have though the easy way around it is to search out copyright free music. It's also been suggested that local bands are promoted on your premises.

Some of the issues are very similar to those with TV Licensing. And like them, there's really no excuse to cow-tow to PRS/PLL, nor to put your business in the position of breaking the law.
  • yes nobody aims to break the law, but as with so many "civil" offences you cannot expect to know them all. And the way these companies go about demanding money from small businesses just for brightening up the day by having a radio on is outrageous. This is an antiquated out of date law (tax if you like) that has no place in modern business, most small businesses are not making money from having the god darn radio on. Big retailers will understand that by playing music to customers encourages people to stay longer and shop more,and they usually do this by not playing the radio, but as everyone has pointed out - Do you not pay a royalty when you buy a record???? - if it's intended for commercial use - just pay more upfront - job done.
    It was interesting to read back through the thread and find out how little these companies actually do pass on to the artists, composers, emu, stage hand, cuddly toys....etc. Can you tell I'm not a happy bunny:T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure