Shop Radio License? scammers?

Options

Comments

• DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    petition closes tomorrow, so last chance to sign.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/Clarify-PRS/

Thanks to everyone who took time out to take part.
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • matbe
    matbe Posts: 568 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My husband came home from work today and his workplace have now banned all radios, mp3s and Cd players because they are not prepared to pay for this ridiculous licence.
    70 people work there, and the PRS want to charge the company £1400.00 per year.
    How many thousands of people listen to the radio at work, which by the way is a public broadcast which artists use to sell their records in the first place!
    People hear a song on the radio which they like then go out and buy it!
    This country really is going down the pan rapidly, will we be charged for the air we breathe next???
    We already pay enough taxes without adding something so pathetic as this.
    Ive just brought the latest Madonna album for £12.99, ive paid for it so why shouldnt i be able to listen to it at work on my headphones to break the day up.
    Why is it now illeagal to listen to a public broadcast such as the radio ( which helps artists make loads of money anyway by advertising their records ).
    Also will i now be breaking the law by listening to my music that i have already paid for, whilst driving to work?
    All I can say is what a load of crap this licence is!!!
    I thought it was a free country ........ how wrong was I

They aren't going to tax you for the air you breathe in but the air you breathe out (carbon tax)
  • I run an Out of School Club, if we have a radio or cd on, and have a TV and Playstation I'm being told I have to pay various licences, and per child...when we have over 100 children on the books I just can't warrant the cost...quite happy to scrap TV and Playstation idea but would be such a shame not to play games like musical bumps because we can't play music :(
  • Grolch
    Options
    The PRS sent me one of their standard letters. In it stated something along the lines of you do not necessarily need a licence if you have a TV. On getting a call from them I told the girl that, because of the nature of the business, we do have a TV and a TV licence but only watch news or sport channels, no music at all. So I can't see the need for one of their licences. She said because Sky sometimes has music in the background I still need a licence as we were listening to that. The conversation went downhill very quickly after that. And she said she was going to log me as having put the phone down after I said I had to go.
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Grolch wrote: »
    The PRS sent me one of their standard letters. In it stated something along the lines of you do not necessarily need a licence if you have a TV. On getting a call from them I told the girl that, because of the nature of the business, we do have a TV and a TV licence but only watch news or sport channels, no music at all. So I can't see the need for one of their licences. She said because Sky sometimes has music in the background I still need a licence as we were listening to that. The conversation went downhill very quickly after that. And she said she was going to log me as having put the phone down after I said I had to go.

If they ring again ask the lady "What is black, about inches long and goes dead in your hand" Then hang up, it really confuses them, they normally tell their colleagues about the weird thing you said and their friends will laugh their heads off at them until they realise
  • d_hodge
    Options
    i too have been paying for a prs licence for 2 years for my shop but yesterday recieved a phone call from someone about a PPl licence that i also need now . so now not one licence is needed but 2 How much money do these musicians want from us ? now we know how they sustain their drug fuelled lives and fancy cars and houses GREEDY !!!!!!!s is wot i call them.
  • roadrashdan
    Options
    Hi people.

I have created a facebook group against the PPL licence fee, please join it if you can.
    You never know it may work. It did for rage against the machine at christmas.

w ww.facebook.com/group.php?gid=285927889633
  • Brammer7
    Options
    I had been informed that to keep my company legal I had to paid for a license to play our one and only radio within our industrial workshop which is solely for our employees. This I did to PRS however within a few weeks another letter arrived stating I now owe a further fee to PPL which is several hundred pounds and at this point after discussion with PPL the company decided the radio was to be removed as we strongly felt that this was a complete rip off. When you consider this situation and this is purely my view on this matter, I was always lead to believe that perfoming artists were desperate to get their material played on the radio so it could be broadcast to the public in order to generate sales and if I'm not mistaken this is still the case, so surely these so called license athourities have this round the wrong way, they should be charging the artists on my behalf for advertising their goods to my employees. These ridiculous ill thought out charges will certain further damage the poor record industry and its certainly one I and many other employees are no longer willing to put up with. Hopefully someone from the record industry will take note and realise that they are slowly but with growing momemtum losing a huge free advertising section for their products.:mad:
  • DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Government response to the Petition.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page22500
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure