Slimming Towards Summer - Slimming World Support Thread 2018

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,634 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Absolutely this. If SW is a lifestyle choice, and not a diet (as it is sold by consultants), then we shouldn't be feeling at all remorseful for living our life once in a while.

There aren't many things that I disagree with my group consultant on, but she tries quite hard to convince members when they're going on holiday etc to "put a plan in place" so not to sabotage their weight loss. No doubt she will do the sam tonight when I bring up the stag do next week. She will say things like "have you planned your swaps for meals", "how are you going to make sure your holiday doesn't affect your weight loss" and "if you're going all inclusive, see what the salad bar has before looking at the other foods" etc. It all sounds great, but ultimately, I'm not going on a stag do to lose weight. I don't go on holiday to lose weight. I lose weight..... to feel better on holiday. If I went on a stag do, drank nothing but diet coke and had nothing but chicken and salad for meals, I would come back feeling unfulfilled and feeling like I had missed out. The aim of going on holiday is to come back feeling refreshed and upbeat, not feeling stressed that you're unsure whether that strawberry daiquiri took you over your wednesday syn count.

Yes I agree.
    All about getting a balance.
    Enjoy :D
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Absolutely this. If SW is a lifestyle choice, and not a diet (as it is sold by consultants), then we shouldn't be feeling at all remorseful for living our life once in a while.

There aren't many things that I disagree with my group consultant on, but she tries quite hard to convince members when they're going on holiday etc to "put a plan in place" so not to sabotage their weight loss. No doubt she will do the sam tonight when I bring up the stag do next week. She will say things like "have you planned your swaps for meals", "how are you going to make sure your holiday doesn't affect your weight loss" and "if you're going all inclusive, see what the salad bar and free foods are before looking at the other foods" etc. It all sounds great, but ultimately, I'm not going on a stag do to lose weight. I don't go on holiday to lose weight. I lose weight..... to feel better on holiday. If I went on a stag do, drank nothing but diet coke and had nothing but chicken and salad for meals, I would come back feeling unfulfilled and feeling like I had missed out. The aim of going on holiday is to come back feeling refreshed and upbeat, not feeling stressed that you're unsure whether that strawberry daiquiri took you over your wednesday syn count.

And they wonder why people get eating disorders...a particular bug bear of mine is when people say they've been bad - no you haven't you've just over indulged in food or drink that should be moderated.

My consultant has her faults (don't we all though?) but even she says that she's going on holiday and she will enjoy herself and deal with the repercussions afterwards.

Personally I've always had what I wanted but made sure that I wanted it and not just ate / drank it out of boredom
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    edited 22 May 2018 at 1:40PM
    Options
    And they wonder why people get eating disorders...a particular bug bear of mine is when people say they've been bad - no you haven't you've just over indulged in food or drink that should be moderated.

My consultant has her faults (don't we all though?) but even she says that she's going on holiday and she will enjoy herself and deal with the repercussions afterwards.

Personally I've always had what I wanted but made sure that I wanted it and not just ate / drank it out of boredom

Over indulged is a perfect way to describe it. Over indulging as a phrase for one, leaves room for the notion that 'all is not lost'. You over indulged a little, so you take it easy for the next week or two and undo 'damage' (not really the best word to use, but I can't think of any other). Simples.

It's phrases like "a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips" that really frustrate me, because diets/lifestyles like SW prove that is completely false and it makes you feel bad enjoying yourself once in a while and there's no reason not to enjoy yourself.
    I'm glad that your consultant is reading from the same hymn sheet as the majority of ordinary SW'ers. Most people in group totally ignore my consultant when she talks about trying to diet on holiday, because it's just another stress-factor that needs to be eliminated when you're abroad therefore it goes straight over heads. Anyone who is able to factor SW into their holiday plans and actually follow it, credit where it's due: brilliant dedication, but I just don't have the discipline (despite nearly losing 5st so far) and when she brings it up tonight I will be 100% honest with her about that.

Your last statement is very important, because that is very much how I approach weekdays. I do like food, and I enjoy food, but I have become quite mechanical about how I approach food in the week, so as not to fall off plan. Yes food is to be enjoyed, but most importantly, it must follow plan, at least in the week. There is no need to over indulge when I'm at work, and that is how I approach every day. It's very easy to rock out when you're bored at work (did it for many years) and grab a big filthy sandwich from Tesco or Waitrose which is busting at the seems with syns. Take a step back, and break food down to a more simple means of pleasure and you can begin to enjoy free foods even when you're bored. There's no need to necessarily have a meal plan written up a week before either. I've just been discovering what pleasant free foods are available in the supermarket, rather than piling straight for the 'Meal Deal' option. Too often I've been tempted by Meal Deals in the past = guaranteed to fall off plan.

Today for example:
    Simple Salad
    Lean Sliced Chicken
    Diet Coke
    Quark + Cordial as dessert

All from Sainsbury's off the shelf. Cost about £4.50 or so.

Very filling and surprisingly nice. Sounds boring, but don't knock it until you've tried it.

Edit: SP too ;)
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,929 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Over indulged is a perfect way to describe it. Over indulging as a phrase for one, leaves room for the notion that 'all is not lost'. You over indulged a little, so you take it easy for the next week or two and undo 'damage' (not really the best word to use, but I can't think of any other). Simples.

It's phrases like "a moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips" that really frustrate me, because diets/lifestyles like SW prove that is completely false and it makes you feel bad enjoying yourself once in a while and there's no reason not to enjoy yourself.
    I'm glad that your consultant is reading from the same hymn sheet as the majority of ordinary SW'ers. Most people in group totally ignore my consultant when she talks about trying to diet on holiday, because it's just another stress-factor that needs to be eliminated when you're abroad therefore it goes straight over heads. Anyone who is able to factor SW into their holiday plans and actually follow it, credit where it's due: brilliant dedication, but I just don't have the discipline (despite nearly losing 5st so far) and when she brings it up tonight I will be 100% honest with her about that.

Your last statement is very important, because that is very much how I approach weekdays. I do like food, and I enjoy food, but I have become quite mechanical about how I approach food in the week, so as not to fall off plan. Yes food is to be enjoyed, but most importantly, it must follow plan, at least in the week. There is no need to over indulge when I'm at work, and that is how I approach every day. It's very easy to rock out when you're bored at work (did it for many years) and grab a big filthy sandwich from Tesco or Waitrose which is busting at the seems with syns. Take a step back, and break food down to a more simple means of pleasure and you can begin to enjoy free foods even when you're bored. There's no need to necessarily have a meal plan written up a week before either. I've just been discovering what pleasant free foods are available in the supermarket, rather than piling straight for the 'Meal Deal' option. Too often I've been tempted by Meal Deals in the past = guaranteed to fall off plan.

Today for example:
    Simple Salad
    Lean Sliced Chicken
    Diet Coke
    Quark + Cordial as dessert

All from Sainsbury's off the shelf. Cost about £4.50 or so.

Very filling and surprisingly nice. Sounds boring, but don't knock it until you've tried it.

Edit: SP too ;)

What did you have for breakfast? The reason I am asking is because I have tried SP and find it really hard, as I like my yoghurts so much.

I like Quark, as long as there is something to sweeten it up. What sort of cordial did you use please?
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,671.53
  • Stoke
    Options
    What did you have for breakfast? The reason I am asking is because I have tried SP and find it really hard, as I like my yoghurts so much.

I like Quark, as long as there is something to sweeten it up. What sort of cordial did you use please?

Breakfast for me usually involves eggs. Admittedly, it's probably the one meal a day, where I am genuinely a bit too boring, but I like eggs. I can eat eggs for every meal to be honest, I just don't. This morning, I had scrambled eggs (no butter, no milk, just a bit of black pepper) and spinach, which sounds horrific but is surprisingly filling. A good strong espresso to go with it (milk in coffee for the rest of the day). Pre-packaged yogurts are a weird one for me.... I like them, but I won't actively buy them. However, they're currently thrown in with 3 of the ready meals from Iceland for free, so I've got a surplus, which are about to go out of date unless I gorge on them. :lipsrseal

I make Quark 'yogurts' (use the term loosely), because, well, they're kind of guilt-free and allowed on SP. I use all kinds Cordial though, sugar-free of course. Today, I just used ordinary Robinsons Barley Summer Fruits. Very pleasant. In the past, I've used Apple, Vimto Free, Orange, Lemon and Lime, amongst others. I'm yet to have one that I didn't actually like and Quark is an excellent source of healthy protein and calcium. I would try a 'Quark yogurt' as your breakfast alternative. See what you make of it.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting conversation. I think one of the hardest things I find about SW is that some people are happy to follow it mindlessly and never question anything. It's not a magic potion, it's not a diet, it's a healthy eating plan. The syns and measured HEXs are just a simple way of ensuring that treats are kept to just that and not to be everyday staple foods.

I have found that I do make wise choices as time goes on. It could be that I have more time to cook these days but we have a wide and varied menu. I mostly cook normal recipes with just a few tweaks to make them SW friendly. Generally it's as simple as swapping oil for Frylight.

I have eggs or beans for breakfast most days abbafan so it's easy to fit into SP. I'm not a huge yogurt fan but if you enjoy it then you'll still be low carb for the rest of the day which is better than EE for weightloss. I think then I'd just go without the extra HEB.

I had a delicious lunch. It's difficult to estimate the syns but I think I'm OK. Scallops on mushy peas as a starter followed by a beautiful piece of beef with veg and new potatoes. I didn't have a pudding as I don't have a sweet tooth so had a cup of tea instead. Today I didn't have wine syns either as I'm driving this evening. So syns would have been in some oil, pepper sauce and a couple of slices of baguette I had with the scallops. I think it was worth every syn!
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,963 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon all :D
    I plan on being "careful" on holiday but booger me i am having some treats :D:D
    I dont want to come back wth a stone gain which i know i could easily do if i eat bread etc, i dont eat bread now as i gain as soon as i do:o
    Stoke make some ice cream :D if you can afford an ice cream maker, ours was only £16 off groupon, all you do is freeze the inner overnight, put it together TURN IT ON BEFORE you pour muller in and you get delicious syn free ice cream:D:D:D you honesty would not know its not ice cream
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,660 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been meaning to ask if anyone else has had trouble logging on to the site. I generally have password saved and access through favourites. At first I blamed DH as I thought he'd been doing something and lost passwords. I reset it but just won't save to desktop. I have to put password in every time. Fine on my phone though. Is it just me?
  • Stoke
    Options
    bubbs wrote: »
    Afternoon all :D
    I plan on being "careful" on holiday but booger me i am having some treats :D:D
    I dont want to come back wth a stone gain which i know i could easily do if i eat bread etc, i dont eat bread now as i gain as soon as i do:o
    Stoke make some ice cream :D if you can afford an ice cream maker, ours was only £16 off groupon, all you do is freeze the inner overnight, put it together TURN IT ON BEFORE you pour muller in and you get delicious syn free ice cream:D:D:D you honesty would not know its not ice cream

That actually sounds fantastic seeing as I dropped a tub of Aldi's fake Ben and Jerry's at the weekend (humans eh? :o ).

I'll give it a go tonight.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,596 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I think Stoke is absolutely right that SW needs to work around our lives not the other way round. As most of you know I eat/drink most of my syns at the weekend and then work out how many syns I have left for Monday to Wednesday as damage limitation! It certainly works for me.

This week I had a total of 24 syns left so about 8 a day but only used 1.5 yesterday. Only 5 today but think I may have a drink this evening with my dinner!

Today's plan:

B - boiled eggs; soldiers - 2 syns for spread
    L - 2 pea soup, only Speed in it was onions & garlic
    D - corned beef hash 3 syns for lean corned beef

HEA - milk
    HEB - bread
    Syns - 5 as above; glass of wine 6

snack - carrot sticks; HM hummus 1 syn

Denise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories