🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Slimming Towards Summer - Slimming World Support Thread 2018

Options

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,013 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Chrisv wrote: »
    Morning, please shout up if you spot anything wrong with the chart

Thanks for the chart Chris - not a problem yet, but we don't seem to have a column for week 4 ?
    Stoke wrote: »
    Great effort Dia Pita. Well done.

And from me. And well done to curl girl on SOTW
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Thanks for the chart Chris - not a problem yet, but we don't seem to have a column for week 4 ?

And from me. And well done to curl girl on SOTW

I never even spotted that before!
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £40,750.02
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I am brand new to SW. Have never tried it before, but I am not doing so well on the 5:2 and so I thought I would give it a change as a few of my friends rave about it.

I've always resisted as my Mum cooks my dinner 4 nights out of the week (a bit indulgent as I'm 37, but she is my childminder, haha), but she is on board.

My big downfall is alcohol. I'm not a big eater, but I ruin everything by drinking and then snacking.

I don't have a lot to lose, but will be checking on here and asking questions as just trying to get my head around it all.

I plan on cooking a lot more and getting my children to help me make low syn snacks at the weekend.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Chrisv
    Chrisv Posts: 5,122 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

Oh dear :o where did that column disappear to :rotfl:
    Well spotted p00hsticks, thank you :)
    If that were a test, you've passed with flying colours :T
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I am brand new to SW. Have never tried it before, but I am not doing so well on the 5:2 and so I thought I would give it a change as a few of my friends rave about it.

I've always resisted as my Mum cooks my dinner 4 nights out of the week (a bit indulgent as I'm 37, but she is my childminder, haha), but she is on board.

My big downfall is alcohol. I'm not a big eater, but I ruin everything by drinking and then snacking.

I don't have a lot to lose, but will be checking on here and asking questions as just trying to get my head around it all.

I plan on cooking a lot more and getting my children to help me make low syn snacks at the weekend.
    I did 5:2 and would definitely recommend SW instead. As I've said on many occasions, most diets (5:2 included) kind of require you to work round them, whereas Slimming World has enough flexibility to work around you, it's part of the beauty imo. My mum also cooked my tea at the time I was doing 5:2 and it simply couldn't/didn't work.

Although I cannot speak for everyone, I reckon quite a lot of SW members biggest downfall is alcohol. Mine is (ignoring my earlier post). I work 5 days a week, and then like most people my age, meet up with friends at the weekend and give my liver the kicking of a lifetime. I still maintain that SW works though because you can actually be flexible with your syns. If you neglect to use your syn count on one day, you can have more syns the next day..... hence I rarely consume syns in the week and have a huge blowout come Saturday. It's just how I have come to approach SW and I've been able to maintain a steady weight loss despite this. If you can cut down the snacking, that would help though because some of those snacks (depending on what they are) can be quite 'synful'.

Good luck, there's plenty of people in here who will be able to help you :)
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks.

I'm not actually planning on going to a class as I don't have much to lose, and can't justify £60 in one hit. I'd much rather pay for a month to see if I can get on with the diet.

So my friends are helping me. One has said I should have only 5 syns as her books say 5-15 and I don't have much to lose. The other says I will struggle on 5 and to stay at 15.

And they both said I couldn't roll syns over. If I could, that would be great as I generally am good during the week and naughty at the weekend.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    edited 21 May 2018 at 4:37PM
    Options
    Thanks.

I'm not actually planning on going to a class as I don't have much to lose, and can't justify £60 in one hit. I'd much rather pay for a month to see if I can get on with the diet.

So my friends are helping me. One has said I should have only 5 syns as her books say 5-15 and I don't have much to lose. The other says I will struggle on 5 and to stay at 15.

And they both said I couldn't roll syns over. If I could, that would be great as I generally am good during the week and naughty at the weekend.
    My consultant has maintained throughout this process that syns can roll over daily, but not weekly. As in, you can't store your entire months syns and then have the biggest blowout ever on pay day, but you can roll them over within that specific week and that is what I do. I rarely consume more than 1 or 2 syns daily in the week. However, it's not unfeasible that I might consume more than 80-100 on a Saturday. As a male, I am supposedly allowed up to 25 syns per day (down from my original 30 when I was bigger), so 5*25=125. The maths does work out in your favour, but it's cutting all the syn-foods out in the week and whether you can achieve it.

Obviously I won't ask what your desired loss is, but if your target weight is quite a short distance away, then perhaps cutting the syns per day to 5 could speed it up. It all depends how dependent you are on syns though. Some people must have a bar of chocolate and cuppa before bed for example. I would say that while syn-food is an important part of the SW plan, if you can find joy or pleasure in free foods, then you will feel less guilty about eating more of them and you will crave less syns and lose weight. That then also allows you to build up some syn allowance for the weekend.

Also incorporating SP meals will help you reach target a little quicker. All depends how far your target is though. If it's less than a stone, then possibly just a few mild dietary changes will help you reach it. Would you continue to incorporate fasting days with SW? I know people who have and I don't see a problem in doing so.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,013 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks.

Welcome.

There are a few of us here (including me) who are going it alone rather than in an offical SW group. I got the starter pack off e-bay but I think your idea of going to a group for a week or three is a good one - you'll get the pack, get the plan explained to oyu fully and have a chance to ask questions while you familiarising yourself with the plan.

Quite a few here work their syns out on the basis of (7 x 15=) 105 a week, rather than 15 a day, which allows a bit more flexibility for having the occasional meal out or drink at weekends etc.

It's really a case of finding out what works for you so that you lose but don't feel deprived. I think the three main points for me are

1. meal planning - I plan main meals for the week ahead and post what I'm having each day here.

2. Eat lots of speed - I make sure I always have things like red peppers or satsumas around for snacking on (also ham and cooked chicken) and no biscuits / cakes / chocolate in the house !

3. Drink lots of water (and be prepared to be going to the toilet more than you ever have before!)
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Afternoon all :D
    Well done to the losers:T:T:T
    Curly , well done on SOTW:j:j:j
    Chris thanks for the chart x
    Cat , hope you soon feel better x
    Kathryn, please pop in and let us know you are ok xx
    Pollyanna, welcome :D , i have most of my syns on a sat, about 80 to be precise , its well known on here as i have picky tea with pizza:rotfl: have done this from the start and am at target now, so you can do it but what works for one dose not work for others, i cant eat bread, as soon as i do i have a gain:(
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome.

There are a few of us here (including me) who are going it alone rather than in an offical SW group. I got the starter pack off e-bay but I think your idea of going to a group for a week or three is a good one - you'll get the pack, get the plan explained to oyu fully and have a chance to ask questions while you familiarising yourself with the plan.

Quite a few here work their syns out on the basis of (7 x 15=) 105 a week, rather than 15 a day, which allows a bit more flexibility for having the occasional meal out or drink at weekends etc.

It's really a case of finding out what works for you so that you lose but don't feel deprived. I think the three main points for me are

1. meal planning - I plan main meals for the week ahead and post what I'm having each day here.

2. Eat lots of speed - I make sure I always have things like red peppers or satsumas around for snacking on (also ham and cooked chicken) and no biscuits / cakes / chocolate in the house !

3. Drink lots of water (and be prepared to be going to the toilet more than you ever have before!)

And having wind:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport