20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Options

Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope you've had a better day today, and the creative juices are flowing.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »
    Its OK to get bored with it all. Maybe give yourself a break from spending money on improvement projects and just live and work for a few months. You have done a lot in a year so this is not lazy it's just building resilience and replenishing reserves.

Just don't do what I would do and start overspending on day to day stuff.

I agree with this DIA. Hope you get your oomph back soon :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Mrs_Boo_Boo
    Mrs_Boo_Boo Posts: 567 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just dropping in to say Hi DIA. Have logged in for a change.
    Hope things are going well with you.
    Weather has been terrible for a while. Roll on brighter days to come.
    Drove to nearby town to pick up probiotics and Wild Yam (hoping it's going to dampen down the hot flushes at night)
    Body balance done.
    Made poached eggs on toast for hubbie and I had lunch I prepared yesterday,but did not have time to eat it.
    Time to make a start on housework and then paper shredding,clear out and declutter.
    Love it when I have a clear window to crack on.
    Have a good day
    xxx
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Was just thinking yesterday I hadn't seen you around DIA so thanks to Mrs Boo Boo for bumping your thread.

Hope you are ok?
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hope you feel brighter soon DIA, much sympathy from me.
    Thanks Redo
    I think sometimes having our light bulbs come on means we are never quite carefree about such things again. Hope you feel better soon.
    Thanks Rosa. I agree with your carefree statement :(
    beanielou wrote: »
    I feel your pain.
    It is horrid when we are thinking of money all the time :(
    Thanks for empathising Beanie :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    mark88man wrote: »
    Its OK to get bored with it all. Maybe give yourself a break from spending money on improvement projects and just live and work for a few months. You have done a lot in a year so this is not lazy it's just building resilience and replenishing reserves.

Just don't do what I would do and start overspending on day to day stuff.
    I didn't overspend at all and I benefitted from the break thanks Mark88 :)
    MuffinTops wrote: »
    There must be something in the air as I know lots of people feeling the way you are. I hope that feeling passes soon, or that you're able to distract yourself with your creativity.
    I've been looking around at how much needs doing in my house, as well as all the other places I need to spend and it is wearing.
    Take lots of care of yourself.
    MTx
    Thanks MT, the break did me good. I hope the things in your house are getting done?
    Hope you've had a better day today, and the creative juices are flowing.
    Thank you. The creative juices did flow and lots of good stuff produced in the end :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I agree with this DIA. Hope you get your oomph back soon :).
    Thanks for checking in HairyHand :)
    Just dropping in to say Hi DIA. Have logged in for a change.
    Hope things are going well with you.
    Weather has been terrible for a while. Roll on brighter days to come.
    Drove to nearby town to pick up probiotics and Wild Yam (hoping it's going to dampen down the hot flushes at night)
    Body balance done.
    Made poached eggs on toast for hubbie and I had lunch I prepared yesterday,but did not have time to eat it.
    Time to make a start on housework and then paper shredding,clear out and declutter.
    Love it when I have a clear window to crack on.
    Have a good day
    xxx

Thanks for posting Mrs Boo Boo. Sounds like you are doing great with the self care. I should take a leaf out of your book. Hope you are having a good day :)
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    Was just thinking yesterday I hadn't seen you around DIA so thanks to Mrs Boo Boo for bumping your thread.
    Hope you are ok?
    Yes Homegrown, thanks. I have pulled myself together and I am back in the game :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    I needed a break but now things are worse financially. I did not have any joy on any of the PPI claims. Tried.

I had a good result on a complaint letter and I am £50 better-off :T

My time in the Scottish Highlands was truly wondrous and creative. I am truly thankful for the time and people and in love with the beauty of the places I visited and the people I met. Ullapool anyone? I loved it there!

However, the relative I have been visiting for the last year died and now I have a funeral to face up to.

I am due back at work next week and I was wishing I wasn’t. Be careful what you wish for as I found out today the firm is moving to another part of the country. Therefore I and many of my colleagues are effectively redundant.

On the plus side
    I will receive a small redundancy payment.
    I will be able to access a small pot of money in the autumn.
    Thanks to MSE and the people on this forum I am debt and mortgage free and able to survive on much less.

On the not plus side
    It is sudden
    Less security
    Much less money again :(

Before I had a break from the forum I felt overwhelmed by the lists and constant thinking of money. All I can do to help is automate all payments and keep to the pots without dipping into them, so my constant adding up numbers is minimised.

I am back and ready to tackle this new challenge.

I am catching up with diaries slowly (so much happens in a few weeks) hoping everyone is doing okay :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,514 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your relations death & impending funeral.

Sorry to read about the redundancy.
    As you say you will get a redundancy payment & have no debt & no mortgage which is good.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about your relations death & impending funeral.

Sorry to read about the redundancy.
    As you say you will get a redundancy payment & have no debt & no mortgage which is good.
    Thank you Beanie. It could definitely be worse, but the redundancy is a very small amount so I will need to be very careful not to get back into debt. There is no other salary apart from mine so I do feel a bit vulnerable right now.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills