20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)

Options

Comments

• doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The funeral has come and gone. I am starting to feel more balanced.

I used my sat nav to get to the funeral and it diverted me past toll roads saving me money. :money:

I have reverted to a weekly shop. But I find the last few days I am struggling to create meals. I won't shop again until Saturday even if it means tinned soup and scrambled eggs, but I need to start meal planning again. This will be especially important when I stop getting an income.

I don't yet have a plan to deal with redundancy except being very careful with spends right now. I am also using the special offers at weekends at Lid1 to buy a few of to keep for another day.

I need to stay away from MnS as even at YS prices I inevitably overspend in there.

This afternoon I am going to see a film (just £3) to relax a bit. I also need to find something to wear for Tai Chi as this is a class I would like to do next week.

I am back in the office tomorrow. I am going to try to enjoy it as it is coming to an end.

Have a positive day everyone.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good to see you back dia. I have also been taking a break, but it's not been as mse as yours. I will be back on the diary this weekend I think!
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Good to see you back dia. I have also been taking a break, but it's not been as mse as yours. I will be back on the diary this weekend I think!
    Thanks for stopping by. Good luck with your return :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Yesterday was my first day back in the office. It cost me about £13 in fares and coffee. I must remember to take a flask when I am next in to get this into single figures.

I am WFH today. I am thankful not to have to pay fares or waste time travelling

Another disappointment came this morning in the form of a letter confirming no PPI from hoped for bank. I hope the disappointments are all over now. :(

I found out I will be working until August. I prefer that to going sooner as it gives me time to squirrel away money. So I am setting myself a goal of saving £4,000 by August

Making life better
    Veggie and lentil soup made
    Red Thai curry sauce made (use as a base for veggie or fish curries)
    Plant has been repotted

There is a money off voucher for Lidl in the Times so my plan is to use it for my weekly shop this week

I hope you are all enjoying your Saturday

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Homegrown0
    Homegrown0 Posts: 1,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm glad you are able to buy yourself some time to save but also time to think about what's next. That's a fantastic target- I have every faith in you! You have some very clever ways with food so you'll do great.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,511 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Good news on work til August.
    Enjoy your weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    August is enough time for you to do some thinking and enough time to take some action after. And you know what Ella Fitzgerald had to say about Summertime (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XivELBdxVRM)
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    £4,000 is a good target to save. How many months of living expenses would that cover? Maybe you can find a new job or income stream before the end of August.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Homegrown0 wrote: »
    I'm glad you are able to buy yourself some time to save but also time to think about what's next. That's a fantastic target- I have every faith in you! You have some very clever ways with food so you'll do great.
    Thanks Homegrown. The extra time is good for planning and saving up too.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Good news on work til August.
    It is Beanie :)
    mark88man wrote: »
    August is enough time for you to do some thinking and enough time to take some action after. And you know what Ella Fitzgerald had to say about Summertime (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XivELBdxVRM)
    A plan is taking shape thanks :)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    £4,000 is a good target to save. How many months of living expenses would that cover? Maybe you can find a new job or income stream before the end of August.
    I'm just going to save everything I can then look at the best thing to do with the money saved. I don't think an employer will wait until the end of August and I am not sure I want a new employer at all right now ;)

Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills