NST April 2018: April Fool's Challenge

Options
1495051525355»

Comments

• laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 772 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lavender bee. My hub is back this week too. Thank goodness!!
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Miss Tara for this month's challenge :)
    I don't post as often as I should, but read every post and stick to the rules as far as I can.

Overview of April is as follows:

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. - I personally don't count an NSD unless I don't spend anything at all, apart from Direct Debit bills or business expenses which I obviously account for elsewhere. I managed 12/15 using these criteria. I am reasonably happy with that :)
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. - no debts nowadays, but our savings have taken a hit over the last few months, so it would be good to start to put some of that back :)Sadly, new tyres x 4 and a car repair bill put paid to this, but at least being frugal in other areas meant that I could pay for these without resorting to credit :)
    Report in every day - I am a bit rubbish at this, but will try :)Well, I am here now :o :)
    Interests - I can't wait till the weather gets better and I can do more in the garden! Got a lot done, but my, hasn't the weather got cold again :(
    Love yourself, do something to make yourself feel fab - I will think about this. I have an operation scheduled for the middle of the month so will be especially kind to myself after that :eek: I am not a 'pampering' type but do enjoy a bubble bath, perfume, moisturiser and lipsalve. That is about as far as it goes :rotfl:My surgery got cancelled, so I have a new date towards the end of May :( We will see!

Find time to get outside - I have had a painful hip problem which is slowly improving, so I want to get back to going for walks, and doing the garden. The lighter evenings should help with this, and it would be great if it would ever stop raining! My hip is much better now, so I can be more active :j:j Pity about the weather though!
    Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings - Car expenses prevented this unfortunately
    Organise your month. Check your cupboards, make a meal plan and stick to your food budget. Plan any social events and budget for them, ideally come up with free alternatives. - Done quite well on this, grocery bill well down on usual spend :)
    Lose one bad habit - Eating too much - need to get the weight down! :o:o:o:o:o
    Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. :)

And the figures for the budgets included in this challenge are:
    Charity - £15.85 / £5
    Groceries - £177.02 / £250.00 :T
    Pet food - £12.07 / £18.00 (I am not starving him, honest! I bought a big bag of food for him, but he is tiny, so a big bag for him still isn't very big. And I bought treats as well :D
    Diesel - £155.14 /£80 :eek:
    Presents - £32.95 / £60 (family birthdays) Kept costs down by using vouchers from survey sites which I had been saving up :D
    Toiletries and cleaning supplies - £45.93 / £30 - I had no idea I was so houseproud :o I think it was probably needing both washing capsules and dishwasher tablets in the same month :rotfl:

Grateful for:
    My hip being better :)
    Spring flowers and the beautiful blossom on my fruit trees :)
    Having enough of everything :)

'See' you all in May :)
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks misstara for this month's thread.
    A - 19/15 NSD achieved today.
    R - Done.
    I - Did mindfulness colouring, wordsearch and read my book.
    L - Put on coconut oil, also perfume. Had a relaxing bath. Lavender oil in burner this evening.
    F - Did not walk outside.
    O - Done.
    O - Still ongoing.
    L - Ok with social media today.
    S - Grateful for:
    Getting through the day at work.
    Overtime in work.
    Weather not bad as the forecast predicted.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for a good and helpful talk with my head, for the pupils I teach, for lovely work colleaues, for my own planning-ahead meaning less stress when a deadline is brought forwards, for a good brolly in the rain, for dd doing her online maths hwk, for a good book, for dh making a yummy shepherd's pie, for a new start tomorrow.

Thank you misstara!
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Aim for at least 15 NSDs. 15/15 achieved today.

Pay to your debt or savings first Debt is going down and savings are starting to go up but I've committed to paying $455 per month over 16 months to retrain and I've handed in my notice from my paying work to go self employed from the end of August so this will really focus my mind on earning, paying down debt and saving.

Report in every day. hello again. Will do better in May.

Interests - Loads of interests. It feels as though there is so much I want to do and so little time.

Love yourself This has worked. I've tidied up and made certain routines inevitable rather than optional. Still a lot of work to do here though

Find time to get outside. Have done a lot more of this.

Overpay Still working on this.

Organise your month The spreadsheet is polished up ready to go for May.

Lose one bad habit. Trying!

Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes.
    Grateful that the weather will change, for my family, for a job, health, options and resources, for debt free wannabe challenges.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Got lost this month but have read every post.
    Spending was very good this month, under budget on every category other than pets where I've stocked up on their wet food whilst it was on offer.
    NSDs achieved 18/15 so another positive.
    Off to sign up for next month.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    NSDs - 18/15 :D
    Report - 30/30 :D
    Interests - no walk today
    Love - skincare regime, perfume
    Outside - watered the plants in the garden which meant I was outside for all of about 2 minutes :rotfl:
    Organise - May's challenge, lunch prepped for tomorrow
    Overpay - nothing today
    Bad habit - no crisps
    Gratitudes - a productive day at work, beans on toast for tea :)

Thanks to everyone for taking part in the challenge, see you over in May's challenge.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
  • swimminginaseaofdebt
    swimminginaseaofdebt Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 April 2018 at 10:14PM
    Options
    Evening everyone,

Ended the month with a NSD bringing my total to 12.

Got paid, shuffled my money about and I have now hit the £500 target for my holiday savings. Also added £6.32 to the full and final fund.

Thanks for running the thread misstara and no doubt I'll 'see' many of you in Mays challenge :)
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Late posting as I was out with work colleagues last night and then went straight to bed when I got home

Aim for at least 15 NSDs. Still 8/15
    Pay to your debt or savings first and live off the rest. - ok (done)
    Report in every day. ok
    Interests -- -running total -3 walks, 1 gardening session, 6 books.
    Love yourself - using up face creams etc (micellar water, serums) on a daily basis - hoping my skin will benefit :)-
    Find time to get outside. - Nope, other than hanging out/ getting in washing
    Overpay - aim to pay 20% extra to your debt or savings. - Definitely done! - paid off OH's car early (end was Oct/ Nov this year) Also paid off OH's 0% CC debt :T -Organise your month. - DS1's 18th birthday mid month. Have also ordered presents for DS3's birthday (late mid May) and bought some May cards
    Lose one bad habit. - a certain game which I've spent waaay too much time on in March.... - ok
    Sign off your daily post with a list of gratitudes. - yes :)
    Today I am grateful for:
    *lovely colleagues
    * windy day - line dried washing (was cold, but very windy)
    * small fleabay sale

Budgets:
    Food 423.13/450
    Travel 69.00/ £75
    Gifts (inc cards etc) 84.03/£150
    Toiletries 8.29/£10
    Cleaning 11.89/ £10
    Social 134.71/£150 - spent £10 whilst out last night
    Clothing 132.60/ £75:o (OH 2 x boots, 1 x coat, DS1 Y13 Leavers Hoody)

Thanks, misstara :)
    See you all on the next thread :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport