Can we stop employees from having direct contact?

Options

Comments

• undercoverirish
    Options
    I’ve finally managed to speak to the HR person.

She has advised that as the issue was brought to me, regardless of if it happened outside of work or not, I am right to investigate it and decide only after the investigation if it’s something that requires disciplinary action. If it was excessive contact that was disrupting the working relationship then we can consider discipline, if it turns out it was a couple of messages over a 6+ month period, it’s not really a disciplinary matter. However we might want to offer some support to the 2 individuals to help them have a strong working relationship.

The situation we’re in is shaky and she’s advised that I call a grievance meeting with the female ASAP and discuss it with her in more detail what her grievance is. Then it would be appropriate to apologise and withdraw the written warning and start the disciplinary process again if required, starting with a hearing, and followed by a throrough investigation. She’s also said it really should be conducted by someone other than me because I’ve already been involved and have a tainted view so I can’t be impartial.

As it stands, there is the potential for a claim against us if she do wishes to go that route so really we need to manage this now very carefully and make her feel valued and included now in how we move forward.

We’re goig to focus on this task right now but also address the other issues (educating me, office banter etc).
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    edited 26 March 2018 at 1:31PM
    Options
    Are there any bosses above you?

you need to step back and get someone else in to deal with this and expect a disciplinary yourself.
    (or perhaps in your terms take one for the lads)

Can't believe you went straight to a written warning.

Even with persistent contact it would be initially guidance, perhaps a verbal if there were additional workplace issues(which there would be once the party found out there had been a complaint).
  • undercoverirish
    Options
    No it’s me and my brothers business So the buck stops with us.

I realise now that it was wrong and I shouldn’t have done it but we’ve done it before but not for this sort of thing and it’s never been raised before
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Because you never had a female employee before. You should not be running a business with no knowledge of the law. I hope to all the gods the lady in question reads this thread but I'm pretty sure she already has your number.

Is this a cultural thing? Are you Asian, perchance? Not that that is any excuse for being unaware of the law in England nor for thinking it does not apply to you.
  • undercoverirish
    Options
    No!! Some casual racism there?

Yea I know we should be doing better. And yea she was our first female employee apart from my wife
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was not racism at all. I was merely trying to grasp how anyone under the age of 80 can be so out of touch with reality unless they belong to a culture which sometimes displays an antiquated attitude towards women.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    you now have the issue that getting an outsider like the HR company to deal with this could be seen as very negative by the person involved.

Men make complaints you deal with them
    She makes a complaint you get your HR/legal involved.

Does your brother have a different role to you and not been involved so far so could be used as a go between.

I think the other issue is you still don't have a clue what's been going on.
  • undercoverirish
    Options
    I’ve only went to the hr company for advice on what to do, not to deal with it.

I’ll make sure and improve
  • undercoverirish
    Options
    He!!!8217;s very hands off so I deal with the day to day stuff. Im the people person and hes the techy finance one
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    He!!!8217;s very hands off so I deal with the day to day stuff. Im the people person and hes the techy finance one

Are you sure about that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport