New Post Advanced Search

chicken nuggets

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
63 replies 7.2K views
kabiekabie Forumite
537 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
hi
I want to make these for my kids for tea. I've done it before and have always fried them. Can I cook them in the oven though? I'm not really keen on frying so I'd rather not if I can avoid it.
I make them by dipping the chicken in flour, then egg then dried breadcrumbs :)
Thanks

Replies

• Lucie_2Lucie_2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Yes, I've baked them in the oven before & they still come out well. Give them a tiny drizzle of oil before you put them in. Works best if you put them on the grill pan or some sort of rack so you don't get soggy bottoms ;)
  • PookyPooky Forumite
    7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    So all these years I should have been sitting on a wire rack to save the soggy bottom syndrome....wish someone would've said!!! :rolleyes:
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • kabiekabie Forumite
    537 posts
    thanks lucie. The last thing I want is a soggy bottom!
  • ravenlooneyravenlooney Forumite
    135 posts
    I just turn my nuggets over halfway through cooking in the oven to save them going soggy. BTW, my veggie daughter loves quorn pieces done as chicken nuggets too.
  • SarahsaverSarahsaver Forumite
    8.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frying is fine as long as you have the oil hot enough - then it seals the food instantly. Its only when the oil isnt hot enough that you get too much fat in the food, as it will get a chance to soak in.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Debt_Free_ChickDebt_Free_Chick Forumite
    13.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kabie wrote:
    thanks lucie. The last thing I want is a soggy bottom!

Not as bad as a saggy bottom though ;)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • kabiekabie Forumite
    537 posts
    I forgot to drizzle some oil over them so they were a little dry but the kids loved them anyhow. Think I've already got the saggy bottom!
  • Can anyone tell me how you make chciken nuggets out of some left over chicken I have? I have looked in the index and I'm sure it must be there but I can't find it.

Thanks
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • That was just the thing I was looking for thanks.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • troll35troll35 Forumite
    712 posts
    ✭✭
    My recipe for nuggets is -
    1. Take some fresh chicken breast wash it and pat it dry with kitchen towel. Cut it into appropriately sized chunks - nuggets, goujons (how posh do you want to be?).
    2. Beat an egg in a dish.
    3. Put a handful of cornflakes in a bag and bash them with a rolling pin until they are fine crumbs (anger management?) and put them in another bowl. At this point you can add some breadcrumbs if you wish (fresh or shop bought)
    4. Dip the chicken pieces in egg and then roll in the cornflake/breadcrumbs.
    5. Place on a lightly greased baking tray and cook at approx 180C for 20 to 25 minutes turning them over after 10 mins. Ensure they are cooked through by sticking in a knife to see if the juices run clear.

I can see no reason why you couldn't use cooked chicken and adjusting the cooking time down. I also make 'NAKED NUGGETS' which the kids think are fab (cos I say naked he he he!!) which are chunks of chicken breast cooked in my steamer along with the veg.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land :hello: