PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 26th February 2018

Options

Comments

• LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oohh and I have declared a spending embargo for March - anyone want to join? Unless I have to I am not spending money. Will report my daily spends here to keep myself accountable x
    Ooh, I love a good scrimp! ;)Obviously I'll have to buy necessary groceries, but yeah, I'm in for "no unnecessary spends". :T I've just put this month's PIP in my savings account, thus bringing it back to the level it was before I bought my new hearing aids; and we have a holiday in May to fund, so a month's purse-welding will be a good thing.
    Valli wrote: »
    Need to get to the shed for the cat litter and tray as Poppy has made it perfectly clear she is not going out.
    What a very sensible cat she is! We had to pop into town to get the meds they didn't have in stock on Tuesday and get some cash for the monthly Farmers Market trip (this is staple food, not "unnecessary spend" btw) so did that early; other than that I've ventured to the shed to put yet another tonne of recycling out there, and restocked the birds' feeding station.

Mr LW is currently sheep-onna-sticking the tops of the walls and light fitments.

I need yet another cup of tea - it doubles as something to warm my poor frozen paws on. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • atypicalblonde
    atypicalblonde Posts: 3,057 Forumite
    Options
    DD has been nagging for fresh strawberries all day (she adores berries, and frozen ones just don't cut it for her!) so DH went to the shop and picked up said berries, grapes, some milk and a packet of pasta. Spend of £5.50 - I can live with that. Freezer fodder is now fully defrosted for a dinner of sausage, yorkies, mash and veg - yummy.

DD bathed and in PJs. DS refusing a bath, I thought he would love one after sledging but it seems not!

Also burned a load of old paperwork, put the recycling out and emptied the DW. No WM done as our WM pipes run outside, DH never insulated them so they are frozen :cool:

I would give my right arm for this snow to have disappeared by tomorrow!
    MFW :)
    [STRIKE]Mortgage 8.2.15 - [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£171,064.64[/STRIKE] Mortgage 1.5.2018 - £99,980.45
    Aiming to be MF 1.10.2020
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I would give my right arm for this snow to have disappeared by tomorrow!
    Me too; I'm worried that Saturday's meet'n'greet visit may be affected (I particularly want to take this dog for a trial walk).

I have dug out my fingerless gloves (so I can still type, do cross stitch etc with them on) and Mr LW has just chucked the wheatie bags in the micro to warm up, as I am literally feeling sick with cold.

At Mr LW's request, dins will be HM tommie soup with HM bread. There's some lemming cake to finish up for dessert which is proving to be delicious with hot custard.

ETA Mr LW asked if I want another drink - reply: "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot". Guess who used to watch Star Trek.....:rotfl:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Narc0lepsy
    Narc0lepsy Posts: 2,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Having spent the morning checking web sites, emails and texts, I set off for uni. The roads weren't bad but no sun today so looked pretty grim. Walked into office, expressed surprise to admin that the assessee hadn't cancelled and he said "but she has - I sent you a text". Huh. It arrived while I was driving. A pain as I won't get paid, quite apart from the time and effort. Caught up with a colleague for coffee then drove home again, reached the dizzy heights of -2 rather than the -3 it was on the way there.

filled bird feeders and water (twice as it keeps freezing)
    put away various bits of gibble in bedroom
    rang my mum. Snow on the coast in Southbourne.
    Mr N vacuumed downstairs rooms.
    About to contact a potential client, write up yesterday's assessment and do a bit more of the extremely boring data protection course I'm on.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
  • Fayolle
    Fayolle Posts: 2,910 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe link HB, they look good. And as I have all the ingredients in, I might even manage to join in the scrimping this month. Having spent the afternoon messing around with paperwork and finance stuff, I certainly need to.

I'm getting sick of looking out of the window and seeing a blizzard going past. But we haven't got it anywhere near as bad as lots of you, so I'll stop moaning. DD made it back from her wasted morning at school, DH is at home, so we are all in and accounted for, which is worth a lot.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Sink degrotted and drained with lots of hot water, as I think it had started to freeze from not being left clean. :mad:

Every glass washed - some rewashed.
    Every mug scrubbed and left to soak with a drop of bleach in each because THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU USE DIRTY WATER TO 'WASH UP'. Rinsed, rescrubbed and rinsed again.
    Door opened for the Idiot Cat. He says Nope and jumps back on the table.
    Every plate in the house washed up.
    Pans, baking tins and trays washed up.
    Cutlery rewashed and put away. Dirty cutlery and utensils washed.
    Jugs, Jars, Sieve and grater washed.

Hob scrubbed of food and grease.
    Chopping boards washed. Butcher's block lifted up to reveal the Evilest Looking Slime in the World. Washed, dried.
    Countertop bleached to death.
    Bits of food binned.
    Toaster decrumbed.
    Shock Development. Door opened for the Idiot Cat's Fluffy, Grumpy sister.. She says Nope and wanders off. He comes to see what's happening and jumps back on the table.
    Bottom of celery pack trimmed and shoved in a jar with a little water in it to see whether it grows.
    Plant pots and candleholders left on table get put back where they belong.
    Duster gets knocked off hook on steel rack. Idiot Cat proceeds to exact a painful and lasting revenge upon it under the table.
    I refuse to even look under the table to see what is happening, but the scuffling noises don't sound too promising for the duster or for the relative tidiness of the floor.
    Milk put back in fridge where it was left this morning.
    Carrots put in fridge instead of on side.
    3 tins left on table put in cupboard.
    Peanut butter and jam put in the cupboard.
    Salt put in the cupboard.
    Pepper put in the cupboard.
    Gravy Granules put in the cupboard.
    Biscuits put - well, you know where this is going by now, don't you?
    Various bits of packaging taken off single remaining items and added to recycling.
    Three bags of leftover crusts (why do you abandon crusts? They're the best bit of a sliced loaf) gathered together and taken off the ventilation slots of the microwave. Is this a subtle request for Bread Pudding? If it is, making the s*dding kitchen usable would be a better start.

Other surfaces wiped over.
    Drawer tops cleaned.
    I swear profusely at The B*stard Idiot Cat. He takes one final hopeful look at the door, looks back at me, says NOPE and disappears off upstairs where he can scowl out the bedroom window at the inconveniently white outside world.

1970s teapot saved from skip filled with hot water to warm.
    Check thermostat. Four hours on 30 degrees and the house has finally got to about 16 and a bit.
    I decide to sit down. Rearrange blankets and cushions to do so, removing vast amounts of gibble from the folds. Put in the bin.
    Sit down. Find sticky rollers for dealing with cat fluff underneath my behind. Ceremoniously hurl them at the front door in the vain hope that GuitarTwat suddenly happens to be walking through it at the time. No luck.
    Sit down again.
    Fluffy Grumpy Cat decides to huddle up to me.
    Realise that I forgot to make the tea and there's another dirty cup that's been left on his side of the radiator.
    SWEAR SWEAR SWEAR SWEAR.

And....relax.

It's been a fairly productive afternoon.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,309 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I hope YorkshireLass is ok - I know it’s really bad on her coast and she is very rural xx

Hi hun, thanks for thinking about me - been such an odd week. Roads horrendous, boss insisting I get in ( anyone who complains about snow is pathetic according to him), college and work cancelled for the boys. Trying to do anything is so flippin difficult in this weather. But I am safe and warm x

So with DH off all week not earning anything and the heating going full blast our already grim finances are going to be even more dire. I missed the original post but I need to be a scrimpy scrimper! Have just parted with £65 for text books for DS2. Oh and did I mention the two fillings I had to have done on Tuesday for £56!

The only slight bonus is that DH is doing all the housework which is making life so much easier.

Crossing my fingers for no more snow tonight, the road is actually black outside our house which is a novelty this week and I want it to stay that way!
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening all. Temperature raised to a truly balmy -3° at midday, only to plummet down again once the feeble sunlight faded.

We have an enormous streak of ice flowing down the side of the house from our hot water tank overflow pipe, which in itself isn't a massive problem. More annoying is the fact that the external wall is the back of the chimney breast which is being kept nicely hot, thus drawing melted water through into the inglenook...grrr...solid stone walls...grrr...inglenook

Waiting for DH to arrive home safely. He's been to Warwick today for work, but is only about ten minutes from home now.

Steak and Ale pie for dinner, which smells delicious as it's cooking...rumbling tummy, please quieten down :o
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,862 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Scrimpers £35.68 petrolwork done
    Snow all over the placePizza for dinner
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    WTAF?

GutarTwat has just got in and said that his XW has apparently told the Lad that we are going to pay his school fees and has put him through an Entrance Exam to that effect. Like most private schools, as long as you're vaguely literate, not obviously a future serial killer and able to make eye contact, they'll take anybody whose parents can pony up the cash - so he's been offered a place.

The cash concerned in this case is approximately two thousand pounds more a year than my annual salary.

What on Earth is this stupid bint thinking?

Anyhow, I have put the teatowels, cloths and bathroom mat on a boil wash, inhaled the chippy tea he brought back and he's now gone for a little lie down because he's tired from his day NOT WORKING.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family