NST March: Marching to a different beat

Options

Comments

• mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    A NSD - did take a taxi to my appointment but that is medical. Set the alarm for 7.30 am and woke at 6.30 am. took pills and dozed then started to get ready. Only 3 hours sleep and legs a bit wobbley. Did do the walk back home.

Was supposed to tackle the paper mountain but made 3 butterflies (1 with feathers, one with sequins) then decided they weren't good enough. Spent a couple of happy hours sewing a green feather boa round a hat, then adding purple glittery flowers aroungd the brim (doesn't clash because they are so dark).

The green is meant to represent grass so dotted daises through it then made 3 bunnies (brown pompoms from an old scarf with cardboard faces - not sure about them, may replace with flat felt ones if I can get at the cupboard) surrounded by carrots. Bunnies and carrots are on the top.

There was a space at the back so found a 'happy Easter' greeting, placed it on a silver background (cut into a daisy shape) and used a lacy circle outline around it and added two lacy butterflies. I am counting it as working hours as I need more of this freeflowing creativity - get more new ideas to replace the limitations on my embroidery. Not given up yet but keeping it for really important things. I was going to sew some of my favourite quotes onto a shawl type blanket but will cut the letters in paper and use a pleasant background paper for them (want them to be soothing rather than strident).

Today I am grateful for a really good first session with my new therapist, for being creative and for a good book to read (there was a Hamish Macbeth in the large print books, that isn't in the regular ones).
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

Still a bit meh but cheered up a bit this afternoon as was able to get out into garden. Looks like I might have nearly enough gravel stuff for all the raised beds, just need another go at it & it will be done. Not sure of the weather though tomorrow. Must get ahead with the garden as if it 'gets away from me' - as it has other years - then we have a big problem...

· For the striders: 14/18 NSDs

· Set your budgets before the challenge starts - did a fair few spends, need to update spread sheet. Will use cc statement to add up spends.

· Be generous ; will do

· Note down Certainly need to do this, in order to get a handle on spending. Have noted down spends & will update. Have all receipts need to log .

· As ever, will do

· Pay towards your debt first! Do not have debt now but have been there before so am very wary. Do have a CC paid off in full every month. Will make a payment on cc today. tried to make payment but lots of error messages, double tomorrow. PAD of £23.88 to cc

· Plan. Will make list of places to go - need to have it in reserve for impromptu trips out. Still A WIP, but found another to add to the list. DH suggested another day out. list growing, another couple of ideas today. DH consulted - has ideas apparently..Want to make plans to go to Ireland, first need to sort out car but will get on with that tomorrow. Car not done yet but transferred some euros to bank a/c.

Check in every day. Almost!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Today was a NSD.
    Stressful time at work so looking forward to the weekend.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 773 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lavanderbee my parents don't make bad financial decisions, we just dont discuss finances, or certainly never ever did when we were younger/teenagers. Same as you- in my mid 20s I learned all about money matters. I actually bought all Martin Lewis' books & basically "studied" it all.
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 5 April 2018 at 8:24PM
    Options
    I have mostly been awake since 3am due to an hour and a half (AN HOUR AND A HALF????) of loud fox sex across the road. He finally strutted out of wherever the dirty beast had been having his wicked way with the ladies, rolled around a lot in the middle of the road, totally defeated a blue tarpaulin on top of a skip, pranced around a bit. Rubbed himself all over a car, and then trotted off down Byron Road. I shall call him Byron. Then, at 4.30 the birds started. Gits.

He had a shorter romp yesterday morning, but I did not get out of bed as he was a little less exuberant. This morning they were going for it.

Hayfever has arrived.

Last day of term -2 weeks Easter hols

Norn Ireland tomorrow

Then lots and lots of NSDs - still on 12.

No internet access though. Boo!

See you in April - count me in already! Unless I am being held on murder charges, that would make lots of NSDs
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 773 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This morning Im off to a baby group with my little ones, & then off for a picnic. I am just about to jump in the shower & then get packing! This afternoon is just catching up with house work.

Budgets still the same, need to ring EE at some point & cancel my contract, hopefully do that today. If I get caught up with all my jobs today Ill take my car for its free wash tomorrow!

Disney on Ice tomorrow but I remembered Id put some cash in my top drawer tp go with, only 20 quid but It will get the kids a little souvenir each hopefully.

not much else to report looking forward to a weekend chilling out & catching up
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 March 2018 at 10:22AM
    Options
    My parents are really good with money. But were also very strict. I had to keep a book about my pocket money: income, outgoings, what it was spend on. So once I was away from that control I went over the rails a bit, although it could've been worse if they hadn't taught me how to budget. But to this day I feel guilty spending money on myself, if it's for the family or DH I'm ok with it. But luckily I ended up with no student debt because of them. I was so tight as a student that I had all the money ready that I need to pay back (German system worked differently and I was able to save 25% by paying back a lump sum and another 20% for having a good grade), but obviously didn't have THE student life but made up for it in my 30s :o

No SFD today as we'll pick up and Asd@ order.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was taught nothing about money as a child, Dad dealt with all finances and gave mum housekeeping money, mum always claims 'we had nowt' which was total rubbish as it turns out. They saved all their money and then claimed they had nothing, they never spent an unnecessary penny on my sister or me, one holiday in my entire childhood, no bike, minimum clothes and toys etc, no birthday parties, the list goes on. Mum had part time jobs and is proud that she saved all of the money she earned rather than going on an occasional day trip or something, she has a lot of money in the bank now and still doesn't spend it. What is the point?

Same into our adulthood, dad never gave anyone a penny, never gave grandchildren a penny either, he died almost two years ago now with a fortune in the bank. I do not remember him fondly.

Me and DH don't have loads of money and we do save but we also do as much as we can with our kids, we want them to look back on a happy childhood and we want the memories too.

Last day of temping today, filling my time on here and watching youtube.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    Also taught nothing about money. The only teaching I had was when I began a paper round when I was 13 and my step father used to charge me £2 for half an hour of electric to play a computer game. It made me have funny associations with money. I was terrible. When I had the girls I managed to get better. In between Martin and Dave Ramsey I am 100% better now. However, I still struggle when it comes to compulsive purchases. On that subject: Today is a spend day. £1 direct debt minimum payment, £2.11 on food from Tesco and £10.60 for lunch at our local cafe for me and my friend.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    I think my parents must have been pretty good with money when I was young to manage on what they did. But after years of watching every penny, from where I sit, money now burns a hole in their pockets and I find some of their priorities bizarre. I do try and set a good example...

Anyway, not an NSD. Had to pay for hospital parking as there were no free spaces. £2 *sigh*, and another £2 needed next week for a different hospital. I may have to try and do a shop to cover until April to recover my NSDs which will be difficult with hubby home. I'm sure he thinks every trip is actually an episode of Supermarket Sweep
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure