Options

Comments

• thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 22 March 2018 at 12:36PM
    Options
    dolly84 wrote: »
    Thrifty - it's actually 32.5 hours as lunch is 1/2 hour, it's definitely not part time, most jobs seem to be 37.5 hours full time in office based work some more of course but that seems the most common so if I was going to do 32.5 I may as well do 5 more and earn £30k doing what I used to.

I agree and it should be called reduced hours or sth. I had to look it up and apparently anything under 35 hours is part time :shocked::

Definition of part-time working (from UNISON)

There is no official definition of a part-time worker, other than that a part-time worker works fewer hours than a full-time worker.

A full-time worker usually works at least 35 hours a week in the UK. The rights of part-time workers are legally protected by the Part-time Workers (Prevention of Less Favourable Treatment) Regulations 2000.

Agree there should be a distinction especially when advertising the job if it is just reduced hours or actually lets say three days and less hours etc.

Hope you get through the day of temping today and find sth suitable soon

Just did and ASD@ order again for tomorrow. There should be plenty of food in for DH and the kids while I'm away but I see him getting pizzas etc to feed the kids because he can't be bothered and wants to "treat" them :mad:
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    NSD 12/18 - Nothing exciting to report here! I had written off tomorrow as an NSD due to spending on hospital parking but I may be able to park in the 'free' bit, which is a bit further away, but I can use my sexy new crutches to get me there anyway :)
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    my FIL has given my one of those pots that you cannot open without breaking. I have started giving my LO pound coins to save in it. By my reckoning he is on about 10 pounds to far, I don't go on to him about saving money because he is only 2 ha but he does enjoy putting his coins in it & I am hoping that it sort of grows the idea that we out a little of our money to one side. I am hoping we can save enough in the next 12 months to do something with the kids and it is slight educational!
  • indigowarrior
    Options
    NSD! I am really enjoying this no spend challenge!
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Went in to town today to change some Czech currency back into sterling.
    C found an old, forgotten M & S gift card with £20.00 left on it so we bought a Dine in for Two plus free wine (actually the chicken does three of us plus lots of left over for sandwiches, etc and we freeze the other things until we need them). Found a YS joint of beef (half price) which will make several meals, Got a big bag of chicken fillets in Iceland for £10.00 (didn't have any so really needed some as we use a lot of chicken). Not an NSD but good value and will all be used.
    Lauren - That is such a good idea. Even if children were encouraged from that age to just put 10p a week into their bank it would teach them to save. Who remembers buying Prince Charles and Princess Anne saving stamps at school or am I showing my age? Seriously though I think we need to get back to teaching them the value of money and what it buys and perhaps they might not get into the pickle some of us have found ourselves in. I'm lecturing now, sorry!
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 March 2018 at 8:27PM
    Options
    NSD achieved - 15/18.
    Grateful for:
    Free school meal today.
    Half an hour overtime.
    Getting home earlier than Tuesday and Wednesday.
    Managing to read my book.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I am grateful for a good day at work, for my head granting me some leave of absence for some training, for getting some niggly jobs done, for the sunshine, for the hyacinths, for an NSD, for getting a workout done, for dd having a good day, for a comfy bed.
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tonis Friend I completely agree. I grew up in a home that never discusses money.I took my first credit card out with no idea how it worked, how I paid it back or APR. I am keen my kids u understand how to manage their money
  • LavenderBee
    LavenderBee Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    Me too laurenh - I was in my mid-20s before I really started to understand any of that. Sadly I can now see my parents making unwise financial decisions and I just can't talk to them about it, any time I've even begun to open my mouth I don't think they believe me, and it's awkward when it's always been taboo.

My child isn't born yet but I'm already eyeing up a play till with a working giant calculator in it from Ikea as a fun way to learn some financial lessons!
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,880 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent £6.99 on a top and cardigan from a charity shop today plus £7.38 in the supermarket.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10552.61/£15000 (70.4% saved). Emergency fund - £1437.01/£1500 (95.8% saved).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure