My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I hope everything is okay with you OBL.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I hope you've been able to get some rest?
    Here's to a good week :) x
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons, dress 7 coupons = 12/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,391 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone,sorry I've been awol,I've just been busy with work and life stuff
    Mind you even though I've been busy I don't seem to have achieved much,running fast just to stand still comes to mind

I'm just sitting here waiting for a washing machine repair man to arrive because my washing machine packed up on Sunday, luckily I had just finished a wash,I hope he can fix it,the electrics are shorting out and I'm petrified it's going to catch fire.......surely that can't happen to me twice :eek:

I'm hoping this isn't a case of the threes because the tumble dryer broke already and things tend to go in threes,I'm consoling myself with the fact that I have my emergency fund to pay for it:j

I'm trying to think if anything else has happened of note but I can't think of anything off the top of my head

Last week I was struggling badly with menopause related symptoms but seem to have perked up a bit over the last couple of days,I found a really nice support group on FB so have been reading and posting there for the last few days,they are very helpful and kind
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Whaaaa,just had to pay out £60 just to be told my washing machine is fine and it's actually the plug socket that is buzzing and crackling,I've now got to get a new socket put in

Never mind we live and learn,I just wish I'd checked the flaming socket in the first place,I've had a busy morning too because there were old tiles under the machine that made it really hard to get it back in the hole,so I got my hammer and chisel out and pulled them up, it's still hard to get it back but not impossible,I sat on the floor and pushed it in with my feet 😀

I've also hoovered and polished the communal areas of the house so everywhere is looking slick and span again

It's a lovely hot day here today but I'm not really enjoying being out in it like I used to so I'm sitting in my living room with all the doors and windows opened, there is a lovely breeze blowing right through the house😊

Tonight I'm going to be watching the new series of Stranger Things on Netflix,I can't wait :j
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,184 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Same here, OBL.... I like being out in the sun, but in small doses (which is much better for my skin!). We got home from our little trip into Derbyshire today & threw all the windows open to get as many lovely cross breezes as possible. Love it when the house feels really aired.
    Sorry you've been having menopause symptoms. I think I must be getting off lightly. I did have horrible periods in my late 30s & 40s, so maybe I got all my suffering in then. Hope you soon start to feel brighter.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,491 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Someone I work with runs a FB menopause support group, I'm sure there are loads of them though so unlikely to be the same one.

I was very fortunate in that I inherited from my mum a relatively symptom free although early menopause. Like foxgloves I had horrible periods so paid for it then.

Boo to paying out for the washer when it was the electrics :(
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    Same here, OBL.... I like being out in the sun, but in small doses (which is much better for my skin!). We got home from our little trip into Derbyshire today & threw all the windows open to get as many lovely cross breezes as possible. Love it when the house feels really aired.
    Sorry you've been having menopause symptoms. I think I must be getting off lightly. I did have horrible periods in my late 30s & 40s, so maybe I got all my suffering in then. Hope you soon start to feel brighter.
    F x

I never thought the day would come when I would like to sit in the shade :rotfl: I used to be a real sun worshipper but nowadays I can't be bothered,I've just taken the dog out and its really hot today

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Derbyshire,I come from Derby originally and used to love going on day trips out into Derbyshire, I like Buxton the best

I had horrible periods from when they started until they stopped, they got worse after I was sterilised, I haven't had one since January and I'm hoping that was the last one,if I hadn't had that one I would have been period free in March just gone for a year, my body decided to surprise me with a last go before they stopped
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    It's called the Uk ladies menopause support group SA

I remember my mum being pretty miserable during the meneopause,but then she was also putting up with my dad so that won't have helped

I have been feeling slightly better this week apart from today where I just feel sooooo tired

I being philosophical about the washing machine because if it had been the thing he thought it was it would have cost £130,the machine only cost £199 so I'm not sure it would have been worth paying for
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    :(And there's the third thing.....my dog has got something wrong with her so we are off to the vet this afternoon, I think she has hurt her back or her neck,she is walking very slowly with her head down and is really struggling to get up and down the stairs,her tail is all droopy too:(

I'm also supposed to be moving the chicken run today,I plannned it for this weekend because I've got tomorrow off as well to recover,I'm hoping to get it done still but I've also woken up feeling really tired so it's going to be a challenge to drag myself out there to do it, I'm just having a coffee to try and wake myself up

Yesterday at work was quite stressful and I got badly scratched and kicked in the chest while trying to do bloods on a young lad who has special needs, his parents really wanted it done yesterday so they didn't have to come back again but it was just too dangerous for the poor lad and us,he was so upset and I hate doing bloods on children when they are that distressed
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    As I suspected my dog had hurt her back,the vet has given her painkillers and diazepam so she is currently in her bed looking very relaxed, I hate it when she is ill,she is normally quite a perky little dog and today she just looks really sad, hopefully the meds will help and she will recover soon,the bill was £85 so more money has come out the emergency fund today

In other news I did manage to drag myself off the settee and move the chicken coop, I was expecting it to be a pain to do but it actually wasn't that bad,DD2 had to help me with a couple of bits but apart from that I managed to so it on my own, the chickens look a bit confused though, they have both been in and had a look round to make sure it's up to scratch, the area of garden it's in now is actually better for them because it's in the shade so will hopefully be a bit cooler for them
    I just need to clean up the patio now so we can use it,I'm hoping to get on with some of that tomorrow,I also need to paint the table and chairs as well ,the patio looks quite big now there's no chicken coop
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback