My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 May 2019 at 2:18PM
    Options
    I hope you sleep well tonight (police helicopter allowing!). Why did you get so little sleep last night?

That's good news about your water bill :T our payment is £94 a month :eek:.

I don't know why I couldn't sleep the night before last,I went to bed and just lay there until 3.30am then I sat up and read my book for an hour, I do sometimes have trouble sleeping,I have been known to stay up for a whole night and still go to work the next day,I usually then end up spending nearly a whole day in bed after one of those episodes
    I did a meditation last night so was nice and relaxed and fell asleep fairly easily,but sadly I woke up at 4.30 am and my alarm was set for 5.15 so not enough time to go back to sleep :mad:

Today was a NSD
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Willowtree222
    Willowtree222 Posts: 7,705 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't look around in shops and just pick up what I can grab quickly, but if things are cheaper or the same price ish, then i would be happy to swap to get more eco friendly things. I do hate how much plastic is in everything.

I struggle to sleep sometimes so track it on my fitbit. I get a sense of how many hours or deep sleep I get as well.

Have a nice weekend. xx
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 7 May 2019 at 2:15PM
    Options
    Hello two days off,I had a nice lie in this morning and didn't get up until 10 am :eek:
    I got two loads of washing out on the line to dry and then went to meet my mum for lunch,it's a nice sunny day here today but quite windy so a bit chilly

I was going to cut the grass when I got back but I'm too tired so I'm hoping to be able to do it tomorrow,I've also got more compost now so can plant my tomatoes and peppers in their final pots,the lettuce has started sprouting too and I have spinach seeds to plant,they have forecast a frost though so I might wait a bit,I can put them in the shed over night if I need to I suppose

At the moment I'm so tired I just feel like having a nap:rotfl:

Today's spends were
    Costa= £5.20
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It sounds like you had a nice day today OBL :). Make sure you relax this evening as you're feeling tired.

My garden is a total mess at the moment, full of weeds and the hedge needs cutting, but I'd rather de-clutter at the moment. I envy you your lawn though, despite the fact that you have to cut it. I'd love a bigger garden.

Are you waiting for a longer holiday before you move your chickens?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sunshine_girl2
    Sunshine_girl2 Posts: 2,731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    OBL my sleep pattern is horrendous, but I have just accepted it for what it is . It does make me feel stresses out though sometimes . I hope you get a good sleep tonight and then you can do your lawn mowing tomorrow, weather permitting. Good news on the lower water bill , makes things a little easier in the budget.

I am very interested in your plastic free finds , I will look in Aldi tomorrow and see what is available not in plastic. Years ago we used to have a shop where everything was zero waste. I wish it would come back. Enjoy your days off.
    Debt free April 26th 2021

• Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What a thought provoking post about buying fruit and veg without plastic wrapping. I will definitely look carefully next time I go to Mr T's.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 7 May 2019 at 2:17PM
    Options
    Had a busy day on Sunday as the weather was good, I got out in the garden and mowed the front lawn so that looks tidy again,it wasn't too long because I only did it a short while ago but im determined to keep on top of it this year because it was a bit neglected last year

I then went to the back garden and worked on the chicken run base,I moved all the slabs into the space where I need them to be,I just need to level a few out now,there is a tree root where one of the slabs needs to go and it's really thick and hard,I have cut some of it off but it's still in the way,I was starting to ache though so called it a day,it's really important that the base of the run lies flat on the slabs because if there are any gaps the rats will get in which is why I moved it in the first place
    It's looking good though and I think one more day of work will get that finished and I can then move the run,I will need a whole day to do this plus DD has to be at home to help me carry the sections up the garden,she is busy with uni work and is stressed out so I don't know when she will have free time,I ideally I want to move it before my birthday at the beginning of June because I want to be able to use the patio properly by then
    I could do it on my own but that means taking the run panel apart which makes it take longer,if DD helps I only have to take the ends off and carry the sides up the garden

Yesterday I was at work all day so that was the bank holiday gone,I'm off today and don't have DGS because they have gone away for the week,This is lucky because I went to bed feeling ill last night,I was shivery and felt like I was getting a cold,today I feel a bit shivery and achey but no cold symptoms apart from a slightly bruised feeling throat

I've got to go out and get some chicken food today so will do that as soon as I can muster up the energy

Sunday and Monday were NSDs:j
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    It sounds like you had a nice day today OBL :). Make sure you relax this evening as you're feeling tired.

My garden is a total mess at the moment, full of weeds and the hedge needs cutting, but I'd rather de-clutter at the moment. I envy you your lawn though, despite the fact that you have to cut it. I'd love a bigger garden.

Are you waiting for a longer holiday before you move your chickens?

Don't envy my lawn Hairy....I use the term lawn a bit tongue in cheek....it's the shape of a lawn but it's made up of grass,moss,primroses and an unidentifiable plant that I'm not sure if it's a weed or something else plus there are four holes that have recently been dug by our local badger:eek: it does look passable so long as I keep it really short:rotfl:

My back garden is like a barren wasteland since I started keeping chickens, I saw a photo of it pre chickens a couple of months ago and it looked so lovely and green,now there are areas of green where the trees are and my hedge which gets pink flowers but the rest is just mud in winter and dust in summer where they have dug holes to bath in and eaten everything,I do have a rockery which hides all the destruction and my patio ( once I've moved my ladies) is normally lovely its on the bottom level in front of the house and looks like a courtyard partially covered in ivy,I try to pretend that the rest of the garden looks like the patio :rotfl:

I haven't made up my mind about when to move the chickens,I'm hoping to do it before June,it depends on how I decide to do it (details in today's post so I won't go into it again)
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    OBL my sleep pattern is horrendous, but I have just accepted it for what it is . It does make me feel stresses out though sometimes . I hope you get a good sleep tonight and then you can do your lawn mowing tomorrow, weather permitting. Good news on the lower water bill , makes things a little easier in the budget.

I am very interested in your plastic free finds , I will look in Aldi tomorrow and see what is available not in plastic. Years ago we used to have a shop where everything was zero waste. I wish it would come back. Enjoy your days off.

We have found that our local Aldi is the worst for wrapping everything in plastic sadly.
    I was thinking about the things that came wrapped in paper when I was a child,toilet roll for one thing came wrapped in paper
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,172 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Poundstretcher do compostable rubbish bags at a reasonable price.

The loose mushrooms in the paper bags are always cheaper, and usually much fresher than the plastic wrapped ones in our MrM at least. My mum used to buy huge cardboard punnets of mushrooms from the greengrocers, not seen those for years.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback