Sainsburys disability discrimination

Options

Comments

• UN17ED
    UN17ED Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I thought this thread had died a death. I re read the OP and have read the last page or two. How the story seems to change.....

Again I could have written the OP better but as I and my family are under a lot of pressure and upset and stress it can be difficult to articulate myself better.

I can provide medical evidence of how bad my daughter is and what is going on, but that would only stand against me for changing the story, and the only thing that could die is either my daughter or another member of my family due to the lack of help from the local mental team.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    UN17ED wrote: »
    What are we accountable for? My daughter has a severe, debilitating illness and cannot help that.

I have tried exhaustively with every avenue possible and have been let down by them all with the tiny exception of the GP who we have to wait a month for an appointment.

To you and the 26 who thanked you please tell me how you would deal with it realistically.

As you are asking how other people would deal with it; If i had a daughter who had a very serious condition (not being able to eat for 7 days to me is an extremely serious condition regardless of it if is caused by mental or physical problems) then i would make sure she got treatment as soon as possible. If the NHS were unable/unwilling to provide this (as in your case) then i would be sorting out private treatment as soon as possible to get it sorted.

Even if i didn't have the money then i would take out a loan. When it comes to a family members health borrowing money is justifiable (as long as you budget for it as well).
    Again I apologise for making it sound like she wiped and sprayed items at sainsburys, she didn't,

Staff are paid to work I agree including cleaning the self service area, but they are not paid to stand and gork at us pointing and laughing nor spray cleaning stuff on my daughters shopping as she is putting through the self service till or to purposely touch them items especially knowing she had the illness. And it wasn't just us in the store at 10pm and if we were there that late it was due to the above treatment.

I really can't imagine that staff would be pointing and laughing at customers or spraying cleaning products directly onto customers shopping as they are scanning them. This majority of people would find this behavior unacceptable and a complaint about this would almost certainly result in someone being fired.

But i don't think it's unreasonable that staff need to touch items in the Self-Checkout area. What happens when a random check happens and they have to scan 5 items?.
  • UN17ED
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Well because your opening post suggested (to many other people as well as me)

that your daughter felt the need to wipe every item she handled whether she chose to buy it or not - hence if it goes back on the shelf it could impact the next customer to handle it (what if they have issues as well?) or would not be saleable.
    So she only wipes them when she gets home? Or only in Asda? I get that it's not rational behaviour on her part and it's a huge strain on you - but what you are telling us is inconsistent.

If staff know her and her problems and are doing this deliberately as a wind-up then you have a massive reason to complain. But if they are just wiping down the next unoccupied till or the one she wants to use next without knowing that's going to trigger her - that's normal shop operations.

As for watching her while she takes longer to study every item - if they don't know about the ocd (and you can't assume every staff member knows this even if someone has been told in the past) then it could look like suspicious behaviour or a deliberate distraction while someone else is shoplifting.

This is the bit that's not really being discussed - sidetracked by the "not eating anything for 7 days" bit.
    Why do you have a Morrison's basket in Sainsbury? Do you mean you have a Morrison's branded bag in which you carry items previously bought in Morrison's and think this magically means no-one could ever put a Sainsbury's item in it?

Clearly your daughter is not getting as much help as she needs - but it seems like the stress is also affecting you and if you are coming across as confrontational to shop staff on top of erm.. shall we say non-typical shopping behaviour it adds to the problem.

I have said I could have explained the OP better it wasn't my intention to mislead anyone.

Items were only put back on the shelves in Sainsburys if someone came too close to her trolley, the wiping items and/or spraying is done in Asda and is some form of comfort and a coping mechanism for her and as we go to Asda at their quiet time and with the help of the store manager and staff they make it better for her to shop but it's still stressful for her as I made the manager aware of her illness and he assured us staff would be made aware. It's a shame that the same could not be said for Sainsburys and the incidents with the touching and spraying was deliberate but sadly some people are mean and my complaint has been brushed aside and conveniently they say they cannot discuss it further.

After wrongly being accused of shoplifting I was a bit upset and angry as it was embarrassing and handled wrong, the card theft was because I dropped my bank card on the floor and the member of staff buzzed for assistance and then 3 other members of staff came and said they couldn't accept the card and asked questions as to where I got it from, they did this in front of a lot of other customers and as well as upsetting my daughter, it was again embarrassing because they didn't believe it was mine and that I'd forgotten to sign the back strip.

I have a mobility scooter and it has a little basket on the front which I had put items purchased from morrisons with the receipt in the basket, the items had Morrisons in large print so not hard to read.

The 7days of not eating was no sidetracking of anything, it was real and not something I would want any parents to go through.

They only needed to look at cctv to see nothing was being stolen as the store was full of them.

I wasn't confrontational except for when I said, I would be sat on my scooter whilst my daughter was scanning her items dreading something would happen sometimes in tears because it was so stressful and upsetting seeing my daughter going through this.
    And again if it bothers other customers because my daughter doesn't just pick the first item then how sad are they?
  • UN17ED
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    Well because your opening post suggested (to many other people as well as me)

that your daughter felt the need to wipe every item she handled whether she chose to buy it or not - hence if it goes back on the shelf it could impact the next customer to handle it (what if they have issues as well?) or would not be saleable.
    So she only wipes them when she gets home? Or only in Asda? I get that it's not rational behaviour on her part and it's a huge strain on you - but what you are telling us is inconsistent.

If staff know her and her problems and are doing this deliberately as a wind-up then you have a massive reason to complain. But if they are just wiping down the next unoccupied till or the one she wants to use next without knowing that's going to trigger her - that's normal shop operations.

As for watching her while she takes longer to study every item - if they don't know about the ocd (and you can't assume every staff member knows this even if someone has been told in the past) then it could look like suspicious behaviour or a deliberate distraction while someone else is shoplifting.

This is the bit that's not really being discussed - sidetracked by the "not eating anything for 7 days" bit.
    Why do you have a Morrison's basket in Sainsbury? Do you mean you have a Morrison's branded bag in which you carry items previously bought in Morrison's and think this magically means no-one could ever put a Sainsbury's item in it?

Clearly your daughter is not getting as much help as she needs - but it seems like the stress is also affecting you and if you are coming across as confrontational to shop staff on top of erm.. shall we say non-typical shopping behaviour it adds to the problem.
    takman wrote: »
    As you are asking how other people would deal with it; If i had a daughter who had a very serious condition (not being able to eat for 7 days to me is an extremely serious condition regardless of it if is caused by mental or physical problems) then i would make sure she got treatment as soon as possible. If the NHS were unable/unwilling to provide this (as in your case) then i would be sorting out private treatment as soon as possible to get it sorted.

Even if i didn't have the money then i would take out a loan. When it comes to a family members health borrowing money is justifiable (as long as you budget for it as well).

I really can't imagine that staff would be pointing and laughing at customers or spraying cleaning products directly onto customers shopping as they are scanning them. This majority of people would find this behavior unacceptable and a complaint about this would almost certainly result in someone being fired.

But i don't think it's unreasonable that staff need to touch items in the Self-Checkout area. What happens when a random check happens and they have to scan 5 items?.

Going private and getting a loan by budgeting for it? Unfortunately life on benefits is getting tougher and tougher and is nothing like the sensationalised tv shows, it's damn difficult to survive day to day and millions of us can't afford the luxury of getting a loan or going private.

Whether you choose to believe that what happened in Sainsburys is true is up to you, Me and my daughter know it did and so to do the members of staff who did it and things get covered up and brushed over.

What reason would they have to touch an item that had been scanned? Are you truly telling me you wouldn't find it strange a member of staff coming and touching an item for no reason?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    OP - if I were you, I'd move on and unsubscribe to this thread because I can't see how it is doing you any good at all.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Going private and getting a loan by budgeting for it? Unfortunately life on benefits is getting tougher and tougher and is nothing like the sensationalised tv shows, it's damn difficult to survive day to day and millions of us can't afford the luxury of getting a loan or going private.

Maybe you should post your SOA (basically how much income and outgoings you have each month) in the Debt-Free Wannabee forum and get them to see if you can cut down/save money on some spending.
    I have no idea of your personal circumstances but there are many ways to generate a good amount of extra income on this forum.

If i was in your situation and was as stressed about it as you then i would find a way. Even if that meant starting a campaign and involving your MP or some other way.
    Whether you choose to believe that what happened in Sainsburys is true is up to you, Me and my daughter know it did and so to do the members of staff who did it and things get covered up and brushed over.

Then you should keep making complaints higher up until someone takes it seriously. But make sure you stick to the facts only and just describe what happened.
    What reason would they have to touch an item that had been scanned? Are you truly telling me you wouldn't find it strange a member of staff coming and touching an item for no reason?

I was thinking of Scan as you Shop but I've just realised Sainsburys doesn't have this!.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    OP - if I were you, I'd move on and unsubscribe to this thread because I can't see how it is doing you any good at all.

Totally agree.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    spray cleaning stuff on my daughters shopping as she is putting through the self service till or to purposely touch them items.

Im sorry you are having a hard time OP .
    I must admit though, Im really struggling to imagine any scenario where this would actually happen

I dont have OCD - and if any staff member started spraying stuff anywhere near me I would be making the biggest fuss ever - again, i just cant imagine this actually happening ..

How would they justify it ?

What did they say when you said firmly "Erm excuse me - that has just gone all over my stuff !!" :huh:
  • UN17ED
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »

I came on here to vent and maybe get some good advice and help.
    I think I will keep sticking up for my daughter and wait for good advice on how to stop enabling her without her losing her life.
  • UN17ED
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    Maybe you should post your SOA (basically how much income and outgoings you have each month) in the Debt-Free Wannabee forum and get them to see if you can cut down/save money on some spending.
    I have no idea of your personal circumstances but there are many ways to generate a good amount of extra income on this forum.

If i was in your situation and was as stressed about it as you then i would find a way. Even if that meant starting a campaign and involving your MP or some other way.

Then you should keep making complaints higher up until someone takes it seriously. But make sure you stick to the facts only and just describe what happened.

I was thinking of Scan as you Shop but I've just realised Sainsburys doesn't have this!.

Thanks for your reply we were going to go to the local paper but my daughter is emabarrassed because of her illness and we have sent an email to our local mp outlining what happened with Sainsburys plus trying to get her sectioned because the girl I go shopping with isn't my daughter, she has been taken over and consumed by this illness and it breaks our hearts seeing her like this everyday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure