Sainsburys disability discrimination

Options

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    I think the point about OCD which is being missed slightly is that it's not rational and people can't be reasoned out of it by presenting them with sensible arguments. Most people with OCD are fully aware that what they are doing is over the top and extremely damaging to themselves but the need for the ritual and combatting the repetitive intrusive thoughts can't easily be resisted due to the extreme anxiety that causes.
    I stand by my original post about the supermarket not having to make the adjustments the OP would like, but I'm fairly sure the OPs daughter knows already that what is being said about packaging etc is correct. What she needs is proper help to learn some coping mechanisms.to get back to a semblance of a normal life.

Well it seems like Sainsbury's have done the girl a favour then, as she can now shop at Asda too, that can only be a good thing that she now has two places to shop.

It also confirms my suspicion that there has been more than a little enabling on the part of the OP.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • UN17ED
    UN17ED Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Going to Asda, it would seem. Even though this was an impossibility and she could only eat food bought from Sainsbury's just 10 days ago ;)

Who said it was 10 days ago? Because I certainly didn't so don't assume things, you think I'm lying that's your problem. I'd like to see how you would deal with the situation.

It has taken a lot of hard work, upset and stress to get her to shop at Asda and the staff there are great and don't stare or laugh or make comments and actually go out of their way to help my daughter.
  • UN17ED
    Options
    Well it seems like Sainsbury's have done the girl a favour then, as she can now shop at Asda too, that can only be a good thing that she now has two places to shop.

It also confirms my suspicion that there has been more than a little enabling on the part of the OP.

Two places to shop? Again it is still stressful shopping but she goes.
    Again tell me how you would deal with the situation?
  • UN17ED
    Options
    Yea, this is the point where you lost ALL sympathy from me.

If you find the NHS and mental health support "appalling" then GO AND PAY FOR PRIVATE TREATMENT.

Do you watch the news or read any newspapers? The nhs is in crisis, plenty of horror stories of people suffering because of it and if memory serves there was a small little march in London recently with just the 100,000 people their.
  • UN17ED
    edited 12 February 2018 at 1:51PM
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    You did not t specify members of staff.
    In a perfect world people would not t stare at ;odd!!!8221; behaviour but it i s a fact of life they do.
    Perhaps the staff have a mental health problem too.
    If you want a bespoke service you would need to shop at a small independent shop.

Odd behaviour? Says who? It's odd because "normal" people like yourself say it is and I'm sorry my daughter's illness was to only shop at Sainsburys that has discriminated against my daighters illness,

No she wants to go shopping and be treated with respect as every other customer does.
  • UN17ED
    Options
    batg wrote: »
    a shop doesn't need a reason to ban someone, they can have who they like on their private property.
    did I seen your daugther wipes her items of food she picks up?
    then if she changes mind and puts them back on shelves they could be seen as being contaminated couldn't they?
    Your daughter is not the only person who shops there, maybe they have to chuck the stuff she picks up, wipes and puts back, in the bin?

My daughter wipes the things she gets from Asda, it's just a coping mechanism for her and she doesn't put things back on the shelf as no one is around and we are left to do the shopping without any scrutiny by staff.

She would only out items back on shelves in Sainsburys, not sprayed with anything or wiped with any wipes.
  • UN17ED
    Options
    Most folk would use a bit of common sense and cover up groceries bought elsewhere with a bag.Again, the odd behaviour is going to make some people come to the wrong conclusion about you. That is a fact.

Define odd behaviour? What is "normal" behaviour?

Why should I cover items in my basket which in large letters had the name of Morrisons on it, that is what my basket is for.

It is a fact according to who? Where is this fact written down so I can read it? They have cctv and would be allowed to go through everything in my basket or my body just to prove them wrong.
  • UN17ED
    edited 12 February 2018 at 2:13PM
    Options
    Your lack of holding yourself and your daughter accountable at all seems to be a problem you haven!!!8217;t recognised.

This is something you need to get help with yourself. It!!!8217;s not helping her, quite the opposite.

What are we accountable for? My daughter has a severe, debilitating illness and cannot help that.

I have tried exhaustively with every avenue possible and have been let down by them all with the tiny exception of the GP who we have to wait a month for an appointment.

To you and the 26 who thanked you please tell me how you would deal with it realistically.
  • UN17ED
    Options
    NeilCr wrote: »
    Why does she have to go in every day? I do understand that this may be due to her OCD

It would be easier if she could do a weekly shop. Then you could arrange a time with the manager. It is going to be harder for Sainsburys to be accommodating every day.

If I am honest I can see both sides of this. I realise how difficult this is for you and your daughter. On the other hand I think you are being a bit unrealistic in your expectations of Sainsburys. I particularly agree with the comments about your daughter wiping the food and then putting it back on the shelves. That would put me off, as another customer, if I saw it.

Unrealistic expectations? Just to be able to go and shop without being gorked at or treated like someone with 3 heads?

My apologies but she didn't wipe or spray any items that were in her trolley whilst we shopped at Sainsburys.
  • UN17ED
    Options
    GwylimT wrote: »
    A few things

After being cleaned by your daughter the food products cannot be sold, so whether she wants it in the end or not, if she has cleaned it she needs to pay for it. As in reality by cleaning goods she has damaged them. The only time this wouldn't be the case is when the cleaning product complies with cossh and a member of staff watches to ensure she is only using that product.

Staff are paid to work, if an area needs cleaning it needs cleaning, if the staff wait everyone will be at work past 10pm catching up for zero pay. That isn't reasonable.

A cousin has OCD (he has improved slightly in the last few years), we never ever followed any requests as if we did we are confirming his fear and thus making that particular fear worse. He washes all of his food in dilute bleach unless it comes in a sealed bag e.g no air holes in the bag. He also cannot sit in his own living room as he would ruin the stripes he vacuums into the carpets. He was on obsessive compulsive cleaners a few years ago.

Again I apologise for making it sound like she wiped and sprayed items at sainsburys, she didn't,

Staff are paid to work I agree including cleaning the self service area, but they are not paid to stand and gork at us pointing and laughing nor spray cleaning stuff on my daughters shopping as she is putting through the self service till or to purposely touch them items especially knowing she had the illness. And it wasn't just us in the store at 10pm and if we were there that late it was due to the above treatment.

I'm glad he has become better but for everyone 1 like him there are 100's, no 1000's who suffer daily because not all ocd is the same and what works for one may not work for another.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure