Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it

Options

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Kittie....yes I know I am in trouble with my knee, well both actually. I have arthritis and at some point will require surgery.

My right knee is the worst and is the one that is currently giving me trouble. That is the one that I hurt last year when I damaged the meniscus. The meniscus cannot be repaired because of the arthritis and the damaged meniscus means the arthritis will get worse. Catch 22.

The surgeon doesn not want to operate just yet because on a damage scale of 1 to 10, we are looking at around 5. So In the meantime I manage with the occasional steroid injection just to the right knee. I had one 3 months ago. I would like to try and hang on for at least a month or so before I have another. Obviously if it gets too bad then I will get it done sooner.

Ideally I would prefer to avoid having replacement knees or at least hang fire for another year or two yet. My plan now is sell this house, rent an apartment with a lift and then have my knee or knees done then.

Although this house has a very steep staircase I have got used to it and can manage very well. I doubt that I could cope with it in the aftermath of knee surgery, hence renting somewhere all on one level, with a shower etc.

There are always plenty of nice city apartments for rent plus of course renting gives me a dummy run to see whether I would like to buy one or whether I should buy a house or bungalow in a more rural or surburban location.

It is all in the lap of the gods.....:rotfl:
  • White_musk
    White_musk Posts: 179 Forumite
    edited 6 April 2018 at 5:10PM
    Options
    Kittie....yes I know I am in trouble with my knee, well both actually. I have arthritis and at some point will require surgery.

My right knee is the worst and is the one that is currently giving me trouble. That is the one that I hurt last year when I damaged the meniscus. The meniscus cannot be repaired because of the arthritis and the damaged meniscus means the arthritis will get worse. Catch 22.

The surgeon doesn not want to operate just yet because on a damage scale of 1 to 10, we are looking at around 5. So In the meantime I manage with the occasional steroid injection just to the right knee. I had one 3 months ago. I would like to try and hang on for at least a month or so before I have another. Obviously if it gets too bad then I will get it done sooner.

Ideally I would prefer to avoid having replacement knees or at least hang fire for another year or two yet. My plan now is sell this house, rent an apartment with a lift and then have my knee or knees done then.

Although this house has a very steep staircase I have got used to it and can manage very well. I doubt that I could cope with it in the aftermath of knee surgery, hence renting somewhere all on one level, with a shower etc.

There are always plenty of nice city apartments for rent plus of course renting gives me a dummy run to see whether I would like to buy one or whether I should buy a house or bungalow in a more rural or surburban location.

It is all in the lap of the gods.....:rotfl:

Oh gosh I hear you. My consultant wants to replace both hips and knees. I've resisted so far and will continue as long as possible. My hips are now clicking quite badly whenever I move. I really don't want to have them done though. we will just have to hobble together LL.

Edit to add: I knew there was something i wanted to add to this thread and kept forgetting. Due to downsizing (twice) I have virtually no clutter. I have no storage here so had to be ruthless. I just want to say, the load from my shoulders is unbelievable. I now only have the things I really, really want to keep or use on a regular basis. Keeping clean and tidy is SOOOO much easier. I know it's difficult to do, having to decide to keep or not but it really is worth it.

Hugs.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    White musk I've kondoed my house and agree, the feeling of lightness letting go of Clutter Is amazing, I've always thrown things away but kondo was great because rather than concentrating on what to throw it's about what to keep.
    I shop less ,don't have the urge to buy the same, and it was immensely helpful when I sorted hubby's things I knew I didn't need to hoard everything of his as I just had his wedding ring and photos , and all our memories, I didn't need all his clothes and stuff.
    I don't want to leave loads of stuff for my daughters to sort and think they have to keep when I go so anything that isn't joyful goes.

Kittie I hope something comes your way soon, and like you I think fate often plays a part, we missed out on a house on this estate when they were being built as we were told they didn't need the deposit till later in the week. When we went back the house had been sold to someone else, we bought on the same estate but had to wait 6 months for it to be built, but it's in a better position with open fields at the back and a larger garden, so I believe it was meant to be.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am keeping this one very low key, am staying cool calm and collected and this time my heart is not pounding. It is a new build by a small builder local in the area. It is near a small town that was recommended to me as having lots to do for people like me,. It is in a village with facilities and buses and it is 15 minutes to my dd and 13 minutes to this small town. It sounds right, feedback is good, tomorrow I will arrange a viewing for next week, the site anyway, it isn`t finished yet. Am I low key enough? I do like a new build tbh, the guarantee and wider doorways and the often lighter interiors
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    wort wrote: »
    kondo was great because rather than concentrating on what to throw it's about what to keep.
    I shop less ,don't have the urge to buy the same, .

Yes that is it in a nutshell and I need to go back to first principles ie what to keep. Bearing in mind that maybe, just maybe, if I put that deposit down, then I might plan a conservatory as the house is smaller
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kittie

That is the plate I have just bought and eventually decided to go for it when it was £80 cheaper in a sale.

Older dd just phoned and youngest dd is staying with her and sil tonight. They are coming over around one tomorrow to take me for a walk and I offered to cook a cottage pie so mince is now defrosting. Not sure if it is only youngest staying tomorrow night but think she is going out for the evening with friends.

Decided to just go and get a loaf etc tomorrow morning, cook the cottage pie and do a quick tidy and take it easy and have an early night tonight. Not sure if I am cooking for four or six tomorrow so will make sure it is a huge cottage pie.

I read somewhere that pineapple is supposed to be good for arthritis so will get some for next week and keep trying to eat more sensibly.

Hugs to all
  • White_musk
    Options
    wort wrote: »
    White musk I've kondoed my house and agree, the feeling of lightness letting go of Clutter Is amazing, I've always thrown things away but kondo was great because rather than concentrating on what to throw it's about what to keep.
    I shop less ,don't have the urge to buy the same, and it was immensely helpful when I sorted hubby's things I knew I didn't need to hoard everything of his as I just had his wedding ring and photos , and all our memories, I didn't need all his clothes and stuff.
    I don't want to leave loads of stuff for my daughters to sort and think they have to keep when I go so anything that isn't joyful goes.

I didn't kondo, I have a rough idea what it is but not the intricacies of the concept. I just had to go room to room, storage box/bag/cupboard and really be heartless, especially this move. Now, I can walk into any room open all cupboards and drawers and see only what I really want/use. It's so liberating. I wish I'd done it years ago.

Hugs
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, wisdom to know the difference.
  • White_musk
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I am keeping this one very low key, am staying cool calm and collected and this time my heart is not pounding. It is a new build by a small builder local in the area. It is near a small town that was recommended to me as having lots to do for people like me,. It is in a village with facilities and buses and it is 15 minutes to my dd and 13 minutes to this small town. It sounds right, feedback is good, tomorrow I will arrange a viewing for next week, the site anyway, it isn`t finished yet. Am I low key enough? I do like a new build tbh, the guarantee and wider doorways and the often lighter interiors

Fingers as tightly crossed as I can cross them.
    Feb 2019 GC £151.53/£300
  • Elona_2
    Elona_2 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kittie

I am crossing my toes as well for you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I am still on the laptop, can not find anything at all bad about the area and street map shows lots of trees and a great, not squashed mix of houses. This area looks really nice, so if the house and access are not to my taste, then I will do a rightmove alert for the area anyway. There is a farm shop and rated cafe about 200 yards away and my dd friends mum lives there and loves it, says it is a great community. It will be lovely to be so handy to dd and the grandchildren

So yes please everything crossed, first tomorrow I will arrange the viewing, then I know I won`t be able to sit still here, I will have to go and explore the area. My friend will give me some advice about how to offer on a new build. I am happy I found it and am trying very hard to keep my head clear of exciting thoughts. It is one hour away from here.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback