Self help thread. I am a widow coping getting on with it

Options

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    I buried my DH with his ring on as he never took it off and l felt he wouldn't be complete without it. I had another ring he .wore altered and my DD now wears this. I also didn't bury him in a suit he went in his football shirt jeans and slippers he would have liked that. At his funeral we all wore something blue and wore football scarfs. Even the priest showed us his teams scarf. I actually buried him on my 50th Birthday there was nothing more certain that he would have wanted to be with me. It will be 4 years in October and it's not the same without him. Life is just different but not in a bad way just different. Some one mentioned white feathers l keep a small box with all the ones lve found in. Plus when l'm having a tough time deciding what to do about something or need to know l'm doing the right thing up pops a Robin
    My husband's ring had never been off his finger either. He never wore a suit so wore a favourite top and trousers with his football scarf. I have his other football scarf.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    ahhh, nice things pop out of sad things. Since my husband died I have never lost anything, I misplace things all the time but I just say `** where is it?` and lo and behold I always go straight to it and whenever I have a tough time or a happy time with grandchildren, then I see a white feather

Torry, the sorting is the beginning of the essential healing process, the letting go. My biggest letting go was when I scattered rose petals around the tree below where his ashes lay, it was several months after he died and I told him he could go, that I was setting him free. That time was absolutely cathartic for me and enabled me to move on. Some things were obviously more difficult to clear but then I tackled one thing at a time. The MK thread was brilliant at helping me through this time
    I don't yet know what to do with his ashes.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,194 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Torry, my husband died in April, his ashes sat under the sideboard til December, when it just seemed right to put them where we'd planned. We did it on New Years Day, the sun shone and I felt completely content. There's no rush, take your time and wait til it feels right.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Misslayed
    Options
    And if you want to put them somewhere 'public', don't ask permission, just do it, then ask forgiveness later if necessary. (Advice from my funeral director)
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    Misslayed wrote: »
    Torry, my husband died in April, his ashes sat under the sideboard til December, when it just seemed right to put them where we'd planned. We did it on New Years Day, the sun shone and I felt completely content. There's no rush, take your time and wait til it feels right.

My problem is we never talked about it so I have to decide what to do with them. It's a big thing to decide for him.

• itsanne
    itsanne Posts: 4,992 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well done you. I have no children but my brother will help as well as a close friend but I haven't even thought of sorting out his things yet. It feels wrong to me.

Sometimes people make quick decisions and then wish they'd done something else. There's no hurry for any of it. You'll know when you're ready/able to sort his things: it doesn't matter whether that's quickly or not for ages. Don't worry about it, just do it when it's right for you.

The same applies to his ashes. Some choose to have them interred, others to scatter them and others keep them for a long time (if not permanently). You don't need to rush to a decision.

Apart from there being no need to decide anything right away, I would advise waiting until the shock has at least eased slightly - you're not currently in the best position to make major decisions.
    . . .I did not speak out

Then they came for me
    And there was no one left
    To speak out for me..

Martin Niemoller
  • Misslayed
    Options
    Wise words itsanne
  • Torry_Quine
    Options
    Thanks for all the kindness. I'm crying again.

• Misslayed
    Options
    It's cathartic Torry, just let it happen. Sending you a virtual hug.
  • joansgirl
    joansgirl Posts: 17,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

Just hang on to them for now. One day it will suddenly occur to you what you want to do with them. Don't make any hasty decisions.

I still have my husbands ashes after 8 years :o
    I'll probably keep them now and when I go my sister in law will scatter us together somewhere.
    floraison.gif
    Some people only exist as examples of what to avoid...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback