Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Options

Comments

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Applying for the Scottish BS RS is a PITA if you aren't already a customer. They want certified proof of ID, alongside the application form on paper. By the time I have paid for that and posted the application, most of the extra interest the account would give me over and above what I get in Lloyds/BoS current accounts is basically wiped out.

I thought I was going to be clever and get their instant access account as that one is "open 24/7" and makes me an existing customer. Sailed through the online application, just to be told they'll get back to me "in the next few days" to let me know whether they need extra proof of ID........

Nice account, difficult to get if you are not an existing customer.

so a scan of your passport and a credit card bill with your name and address wont do? That was all I was going to send alongside a cheque which also has my name on.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • liamcov
    liamcov Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HSBC Regular Saver only showing as apply in branch - is there any reason for this or am I on the wrong webpage?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    liamcov wrote: »
    HSBC Regular Saver only showing as apply in branch - is there any reason for this or am I on the wrong webpage?
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/savings/products/regular-saver/ says:
    Eligibility:

You must have one of the following HSBC current accounts: HSBC Premier, HSBC Advance, Bank Account, Bank Account Pay Monthly, HSBC Student Bank Account or Graduate Bank Account which you must maintain for the 12 month duration.

How to open the account:
    • If you have a HSBC Premier, HSBC Advance, Bank Account, Bank Account Pay Monthly, or Graduate Bank Account you can open an account via Online Banking, Telephone Banking or in branch
    • If you have a HSBC Student Bank Account, you can open a Regular Saver via Telephone Banking or in Branch.
  • liamcov
    liamcov Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eskbanker wrote: »

Thanks got there in the end - long story!
  • djd1965
    djd1965 Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Options
    I see that Scottish Building Society is now offering 2.00% p.a. variable on its 12 month RS, max £500 per month, operated by post or branch and seemingly not restricted to residents of Scotland. Please, any feedback on this BS, especially from any of its customers resident in England or Wales?

Would it not be better to put all £6000 now in a one year fixed rate account offering 2.01% / 2.02%? Or am I missing something?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Fine if you've got that £6k right now, but the optimum way of using regular savers is that you fund them from regular income
  • JamesRobinson48
    JamesRobinson48 Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 September 2018 at 8:32PM
    Options
    djd1965 wrote: »
    Would it not be better to put all £6000 now in a one year fixed rate account offering 2.01% / 2.02%? Or am I missing something?

Fair observation, deserving a candid response. I am personally reluctant to transact with any of the names that are currently quoting 2%+ for a one year fixed rate time deposit. I'm aware they are all FSCS protected, however for greater peace of mind I prefer to see a presence on the ground or at least an established reputation for efficiency, good service and treating customers fairly. Also, in the case of a variable rate RSA like this one from Scottish BS, in the current environment I figure there's a decent chance the interest rate on the account may increase before the 12 months is up. Oh, and besides RSAs I do indeed have a portfolio of fixed rate time deposits of various tenors, so the RSAs provide diversification.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mhoc wrote: »
    so a scan of your passport and a credit card bill with your name and address wont do? That was all I was going to send alongside a cheque which also has my name on.
    They want it certified
    https://www.scottishbs.co.uk/sites/default/files/downloads/SBS262%20Proof%20of%20Identity%20Checklist%20A4_130818.pdf
  • djd1965
    djd1965 Posts: 4,032 Forumite
    Options
    Fair observation, deserving a candid response. I am personally reluctant to transact with any of the names that are currently quoting 2%+ for a one year fixed rate time deposit. I'm aware they are all FSCS protected, however for greater peace of mind I prefer to see a presence on the ground or at least an established reputation for efficiency, good service and treating customers fairly. Also, in the case of a variable rate RSA like this one from Scottish BS, in the current environment I figure there's a decent chance the interest rate on the account may increase before the 12 months is up. Oh, and besides RSAs I do indeed have a portfolio of fixed rate time deposits of various tenors, so the RSAs provide diversification.

Thanks for taking the time to give a detailed response. It would be great if the SBS did indeed further increase the interest rate within the year beyond 2% but that seems unlikely having just gone from 1.6% to 2%.
  • alternate
    Options
    What is happening with the Virgin online reg savers - have they dropped them online or are we expecting one some time on some sort of schedule?

thx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport