PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yesterday, made cake with sherry (nearly used it all up).
    Cooked homemade pie and homegrown veggies. Followed by homemade/ homegrown Apple and raspberry crumble.

Today we had roast turkey with a onion and sage stuffing, which I added 4 sausages from the freezer and some homegrown red currants. Home grown veggies and some more crumble.
    Tonight we had 'left over' supper. A miss-mash of things needed to be used up from the fridge.
    Tomorrow we are having a 'Boxing Day' type meal. Left over Turkey and stuffing with salad, homemade pickles etc.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Rubber chicken week here :D - roast yesterday with the usual trimmings and this morning I stripped the remaining meat off the carcass. There's enough nice slices to have with salad tomorrow and plenty of chunks for a korma curry later in the week. The carcass is in the sc to make stock that I'll use for soup making. Not bad for £2.75. ;)

Breakfast this morning was poached egg on toasted ys cheese & black pepper muffins and for lunch we had a tuna mayo sandwich followed by grapes.

Tonight we're having a beef casserole with mash and spring greens; looking forward to it as the weather is definitely cooler. The "beef" is meatballs I've made from some freezer burgers that I was determined not to waste. I usually make my own burgers but had bought these to try. They were OK-ish but I'll not buy them again. Banana and custard for pud if wanted.

Collected some windfall crab apples last Friday and have made x5 1/2lb jars of crab apple jelly from them. :):) It's a lovely clear pale pink colour with a definite jelly "wobble". I still have "free" blackberries taking up space in the freezer but I don't think I have enough sugar left to turn them into jam so they'll have to stay there for a wee while longer until I do an online shop next week. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,968 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a bag of salad leaves that will be going off soon - and i am not going to eat them, so I think i'm going to turn them into Jack Monroe's 'salad bag pesto'... worth a try.

Tonight's tea is the left over risotto from last week. i had a lot of dental work done yesterday and can't face anything hard, i am also going meat free this week (luckily going veggie goes well with eating soft) so it's perfect. All i ate yesterday was banana and custard, followed by tinned peaches and custard, and fish pie for tea. Easing some space in the freezer...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Gem-gem I'd love the cake recipe to use up some sherry I have a small bottle someone brought back from Portugal called
    'Favaito moscatel do douro'
    Its in a 55 ml bottle and as I am not made keen on sherry-type things to drink I was thinking about putting it in a cake, anyone tasted it at all ? it's been sat on the shelf since Easter taking up space, and I was wondering if it could be used in cooking at all.

Yesterday's lunch was a stuffed yellow pepper and salad and I was so full, that last nights dinner was just a few crackers and cheese with fruit.

Tonight its pub quiz so no cooking for me tonight I am slowly getting a bit of wriggle room in my freezer at last so fingers crossed by Christmas there will be even more room. Seems to be a fair amount of fush in there so this weeks menus will be quite fishy I think :)

Onwards and upwards chums

JackieO xx
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 September 2018 at 1:01PM
    Options
    Last week of the month, which is "cereal week" for me once I have used up what I have in the fridge and fruit bowl :). I didn't eat at all yesterday as I had some serious dental work done, and bought some milk for the week first thing in the morning as I was by that time gasping for a cup of tea. I actually have quite a bit of salad in the fridge, plus some plain yoghurt which might be handy to mix ripe fruit into. I predict this might last me until Friday until I have to start on my spartan moneysaving Weetabix / muesli regimen. I wonder if I can extend it for a week?
    JackieO wrote: »
    Gem-gem I'd love the cake recipe to use up some sherry I have a small bottle someone brought back from Portugal called
    'Favaito moscatel do douro'
    Its in a 55 ml bottle and as I am not made keen on sherry-type things to drink I was thinking about putting it in a cake, anyone tasted it at all ? it's been sat on the shelf since Easter taking up space, and I was wondering if it could be used in cooking at all.
    I'd be tempted to make what we always called a "Canadian fruit cake" with it, recipe carefully handwritten into my Mum's recipe book. IIRC we used whisky but I think the pineapple will go well with sherry. As long as you get the basic cake ingredient proportions correct, you can add any dry fruit that you like to it. The juice from the cubed pineapple (tinned is actually better than fresh on this occasion) will keep it moist. Memories of happy days...!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,598 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    There's always sherry trifle!

Denise
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    There's always sherry trifle!

Denise

Probably the one thing I struggle to eat is sherry trifle I remember having some years ago and I think the person who made it was a bit heavy handed with the sherry and it tasted revolting and put me off forever :):) maybe a cake would be better the Canadian fruit cake one sounds quite nice as I like tinned pineapple, would the recipe be online do you think VfM4 ?

dug some fish out for dinner tonight ,not too sure what fish it is but it hopefully be revealed as it defrosts :)

JackieO
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,598 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Sherry trifle was a bit tongue in cheek 'cos I can't stand it either - for the same reason!

Denise
  • How about using the sherry in a chicken dish. Onion chopped fine, garlic if you like it, cube the chicken, stock cube, pepper, small mushrooms and a few dried apricots.

Brown the onions in butter, then seal the chicken and allow to brown a bit, add the garlic, sherry and stock cube, allow to cook for about 5 minutes to cook off the alcohol, just leaves the flavour behind, add enough water to almost cover the meat and put in the apricots. Season with pepper allow to simmer for about 40 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 10 minutes. Thicken the sauce with slaked cornflour. Serve either with rice or vegetables.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    DH & I have had chilli 4 nights in a row with crusty bread or tortilla chips or boiled rice with one portion left for freezer. Hm pizza for DSis - 2 night’s & last night I cooked her chicken in butter, with dry fried mushrooms, boiled new potatoes & green beans & there is enough for her to have same again tonight :)
    Today I made a large pan of soup using lots of bits from the freezer & los from the fridge & I will have for lunch today with hm croutons - I have no idea what DH & DSis are having :rotfl:

I have a bit of wiggle room in one freezer now :T

LFHW

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £166.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback