PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• silver-oldie
    Options
    joedenise wrote: »
    I use mixed beans to do the Jack Monroe goulash. Only spice used is a little smoked paprika. I usually serve with rice.

Denise

Thank you, looks really good,will try it tomorrow
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    just stuffed a nice large yellow pepper with dry fried diced mushrooms and a little onion and grated cheese and a dash of chilli sauce, and topped with dried stuffing mix and its in my remoska cooking in foil that's my dinner tonight sorted with a large green salad.Now and again I really enjoy a meat free Monday night's dinner, quick and easy and I have some fresh fruit salad to follow.Weathers been glorious today so I am making the most of the sunshine ,plenty of time for casseroles when the weather turns I am still in summer mode here in Kent :):)
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Back on the bandwagon - not that i really fall off but trying to be a bit more mindful.

OH is off on his holibobs with mates next week - always a good opportunity to get through stuff and it means no cooking :D Although tonight he is at footie and DD is working late so i've dug out a cheesy vegetable bake from the freezer for me. Made it in february so it needs eating (and in itself was made to use stuff up). I shall pick some beans from the garden to have with it.

OH out again tomorrow (at his mothers) so i shall have something freezery again, probably a fish pie with more HG beans. Thursday DD and I are going to a vegan 'pop up' restaurant. OH's mate is staying friday, which is more of a challenge as he doesn't like anything with any flavour :rotfl: so it'll have to be some kind of slab of meat with veg..
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Still haven't been shopping since last Friday so my purse hasn't seen the light of day :):) and have used up two more sauce mixes. :j I used a packet one on Sunday for a sausage & herb casserole and a jar of mushroom sauce on Monday for a tuna & mushroom pasta meal. Yes, I can make my own mushroom sauce but tbf this jar was one of my clearance bargains at 20p so I don't feel bad about it. :D

Tonight we're having a liver, bacon & onion casserole with mash and the last of the sprouts (liver and bacon bits from freezer).

Today I've made a bacon & vegetable bake using half a large courgette, a large carrot, a small onion, half a red pepper, bacon bits, some grated cheese and an egg. Enough for 8 portions in all and lots of bits used up.

I've also done an easy "malt" loaf using a recipe I spotted on one of the threads - not sure which one it was, but if the OP is reading along, thanks very much, it's fab and a doddle to do. :T

Tomorrow I shall sit and do next week's meal plan before I go shopping at the end of the week so I can be sure I'm only buying what I need. It will be mainly fresh F&V as there won't be much of that left by then. ;) Current stocks stand at: x5 small onions, x6 carrots, x5 tomatoes, enough lettuce for a salad, x6 eggs and one apple.

I've checked the weather forecast and think shopping day may be Friday. Thursday is forecast 16C with heavy showers :( and Friday is 12C with sunshine and light showers. Plus I can collect DH's prescription from the GPs, wait for it to be filled in the next door pharmacy and hopefully collect windfall crab apples on my way to Sainsbugs. There should be plenty as it's very windy here! :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,138 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you enjoy the malt loaf YorksLass, It's a recipe I was given about 30 years ago and always works :D

I made a version of minestrone soup on Sunday, using up two YS sausages by taking them out of their skin and making mini meatballs, the trimmings from fennel instead of celery and LO spinach instead of kale/cabbage. Most of my soups tend to be based on what's in the fridge or cupboard which needs to be used up :rotfl:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    YorkLass - could you put the recipe for malt loaf on here please? My DH absolutely loves it so would be great to be able to make one and know exactlynwhat's in it.

Denise
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 19 September 2018 at 6:43PM
    Options
    Ah yes, Brambling, it was you! :T This is the original recipe:

1 cup all bran
    1 cup milk (not skimmed)
    1 cup mixed dried fruit
    1 cup sugar (I use a dark brown but any will work)
    1 cup self raising flour

Mix the first 4 ingredients together (bran, milk, fruit & sugar) omitting the flour, cover and leave in the fridge overnight.

Add the flour and mix together, pour into a greased 2lb loaf tin and bake 190 (170 fan) for approx an hour.

1 cup = approx 250ml (same cup for all ingredients, level - not heaped)

As Brambling said, it's a very forgiving recipe as was proved by the tweaks I made. :D

I used crumbled wheat biscuits instead of All Bran, light brown sugar instead of dark, added one beaten egg with the flour and also 1 level tsp mixed spice. DH remarked today how nice it was, so I think it's definitely a keeper and it's now written in "my" recipe book. :):)

Considering there's no malt in sight, it's a pretty good substitute! Next time I might try adding 1 tblsp black treacle to the mix in place of the egg. I could even be tempted to buy a jar of malt extract when H&B next have their 1p sale!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks YorkLass.
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    I do love food hate waste and was getting cross at the size of the end slices in the white bread OH likes for his toast in the morning. For some reason the crusts are now twice the thickness of the rest of the loaf.
    I saved them up in a container in the freezer, and tonight made a bread and butter pudding. Cut them into small 'soldiers' instead of triangles. Very nice too with usual thin custard.
    I've also grated some of them into breadcrumbs, seems easier to do from frozen.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,138 Forumite
    Options
    I may have to try your tweaks next time YorksLass :D. I think I will have to dig out my tea loaf recipe which is another easy one using cups.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback