PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Hopeless_Case
    Options
    I came back from my holiday to some monster courgettes in the garden, and as I already have almost as shelf-full in the fridge I'm mostly eating courgette this week :rotfl:

I bought a carton of UHT milk before we went away so we could get a cuppa when we got home :o (funny how when we were in Spain it was coffee coffee coffee and as soon as we hit the motorway leaving the airport, we started longing for a cup of tea :rotfl:), and I ended up opening it the day before we went as we ran out of milk - I was a bit worried as I know once it's opened you're supposed to treat it like fresh, but a week and a half later it's still smelling and tasting fine :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I retrieved some mackerel from the freezer and defrosted it and sad to say it was revolting and it had to be binned, It was completely tasteless and its the first bit of food I have binned for months ,but no point me keeping it as it really did taste disgusting, can't even remember why I bought it as I normally only get the peppered smoked one, this was plain and I had to eat some ginger nuts to get rid of the taste from my mouth
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I prefer the smoked peppered mackerel too, occasionally buy fresh if y.s., and I think it`s possible to be brainwashed into "it`s so good for you" thoughts, but never enjoy it.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    :( JackieO, what a shame, although I have to say that I do try to have mackerel twice a year but only if DH requests it :rotfl:
    The mish-mash soup I made yesterday doesn’t look very appealing but it is delicious especially with hm croutons :drool:

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £166.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,598 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got a pack of mackerel in the freezer but haven't included it in my menu plan as I'm not sure whether I'll like it, LOL! I know DH likes it so I will try to include it when I do my next menu plan which will be after my holiday next week to the Isle of Wight.

Denise
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have some herby mash from the freezer and some sweetheart cabbage and a couple of sausages for dinner tonight it will hopefully get rid of the taste of the fish which although I only ate a small amount before binning it left me with dreadful indigestion and a horrible taste I have even been gargling with mouthwash to try and get rid of the taste.yuk :)don't know which was worse and my teeth have been cleaned about three times and are sparkling :):):)

JackieO x
  • Working_Mum
    Working_Mum Posts: 560 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 28 September 2018 at 12:50PM
    Options
    I buy smoked mackerel from our local H3ron for £1.89 and I make a pate my daughter loves!! I add either sour cream or soft cheese (depends on what I have in) along with Dijon mustard and horseradish. No two batches are ever the same but she loves it as a snack when she gets in from school!

Tight week for me as a customer hasn't paid me a lump of money so I have been eating anything from my fridge and freezer which needed eating up! Good job I am not fussy!
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Sunday night’s dinner was from freezer, fridge & larder

Oven cooked - sausages & last of the tomatoes, packet of bacon - fried, last of the potatoes boiled & mashed, lo new potatoes sliced & fried, fried up the last mushrooms & used up 2 onions. DH & I also had a fried egg. Very scrumptious.

One portion of hm soup out in freezer as well.

Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £50.00; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Hopeless_Case
    Options
    Had a really good using-up lunch yesterday, I found some left over burgers in the freezer and used the last few sad potatoes to make potato salad, and made a rice salad using the green ends of spring onions, the last bit of a red pepper which was going a bit soft and some mushrooms which I had to cut a lot as they'd got a bit smelly in places (I bought them reduced on Friday and they had a very short shelf life left, but I did manage to salvage most of them) - and everyone said it was lovely :):)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Today I am making a honey & beef stew which is simmering away nicely as I type & has had the addition of half a red pepper & the small portion of lo fried onion & bacon which were lurking in the fridge:rotfl: Now I definitely have NO los :rotfl:

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback