PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I had a lovely evening out last night. :) The cold pretty much behaved itself.
    We popped into a "new to us, but recommended" pub, where we were told their gin selection was good. They were right. :) Really friendly staff, nice clientele, and a lovely strawberry gin. It's a shame it's so far away, because I'd go there again in a shot.
    Then we went to the Indian, I'm wobbling along, because gin always hits my head like a ton of bricks. Had a lovely meal! Played it safe with a tikka masala, because I'm not a huge lover of spice, special fried rice, and a naan. The best masala I've had anywhere in a while. Apparently, this restaurant has a branch in my town, so I'll have to look it up.
    Rolled home shortly after 11, so well past my bedtime. Currently feeling the effects of the combined food/alcohol/cold/late night combo... I managed to get dressed, despite originally thinking I'd have a PJ day, but I do always feel tons better when I get into proper clothes, albeit "comfies".
    I'm currently out of milk, having used it up in my coffee this morning. So I think I'll get some fresh air and walk up to the shop for a new pint.

Not sure what to do for lunch... Haven't really got any "lunch stuff" in the house, apart from one slightly old egg. I think I'll hard-boil it, and maybe grab a tin of soup while I'm out, and get some salt/sugar into my system for a perk up.

I've got a chicken breast defrosting on the side for dinner... I'm going to cover that in pesto, bake it, and do mash and the remaining half of a tin of mushy peas on the side.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just cooking yesterday's YS pizza. Hot American, £1.18 after 51p knocked off.

Trifles have set, I'll stick some custard on those in a bit.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,193 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Finished up with cheese & sliced raw onion sarnie for lunch

Mini gardening, sowed more French beans & beetroot, only in pots, nothing strenuous

Def beans on toast for use up CBA dinner
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening eveyone,
    Hope all the recovering poorlies are feeling better tonight.
    Snap whmf00001, I also like to have full cupboards/freezers and plenty of choice
    A holiday in North Devon sounds just the biz Brambling, a good chance to destress and chill out.:cool:
    Glad the jelly set PN:)

Another early awake for me at 4.30am, was still awake at 6am when I feel asleep over my book and snoozed until just before 8am. Overast here and on the cool side but dry- good gardening weather so made the most of it. All my cordon tomatoes (27 of them:eek:) are in their final greenhouse position and I got pots arranged and planted up along the bottom stretch of my flower garden. I'm not sure I'll get much done outdoors tomorrow as I want to get the place clean & tidy for my elder son & his fiancee arriving on Tuesday and prep a sour dough loaf to bake the following day.:) I might get some potting up done later on but nothing too bendy/lifting as my back is protesting again! Over lunch I decided on and placed a grocery order - playing it by ear a bit as I'm not sure what their plans are. I've a notion to make a ricotta and asparagus dish featured in today's Guardian so I've ordered both of those. I reckon it will scale down okay if I end up making it as CFO.

I defrosted a few fish sticks and had them in the last deli roll with lettuce & mayo with a heap of cucumber sticks and radishes for lunch. It was really good. Lovely looking FR chop for dinner tonight with veg & new spuds. :)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I see a lot of tomato sauces in your freezer by the Autumn Caronc :rotfl:

I can relate with the full cupboards WHMF :D. I was born to older parents who were married during the war and I've inherited my mums need to have a well stocked cupboard :cool: although mine is a lot different from hers :). it does mean as Caronc says always plenty of choice :D. My sister has reminded me should Brexit mean food shortages she has a key :rotfl:

Flubberzing where I had lunch yesterday had a bottle of rhubarb and ginger gin behind the till if it hadn't been lunchtime I would have been tempted :)

I woke midnight to a smell of smoke in the bedroom :eek: i checked the house first, then stood outside in my dressing gown to check the neighbour's, the worries of a mid terrace :cool: no sign of anything but there was definitely smoke in the air. I shut the bedroom window and eventually went back to sleep listening to the sound of my wheezing :o it seemed late for a bonfire :huh:

I should of done some gardening today but it was damp out after early rain and on and off drizzling so just indoors pottering. I cooked some chicken noodle soup for lunches and the freezer this afternoon. Brunch was boiled eggs and soldiers and a bowl of berries. I marinated the pork fillet in honey, soy sauce, five spice, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and chilli and stir fried with plenty of veg and served with jasmine rice. Very tasty and LOs which I'll have Tuesday as I wouldn't have much time to cook before going out
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    edited 19 May 2019 at 9:06PM
    Brambling wrote: »
    I see a lot of tomato sauces in your freezer by the Autumn Caronc :rotfl:
    Fingers crossed - I aim to make enough passata to last me to next harvest:D. Just need to work on the freezer space :rotfl:
    PS - the smell of smoke is always so worrying especially in a mid-terrace, it sounds as though someone has either has very late bbq or thought it best to burn garden rubbish late. Here you're not supposed to light a garden debris bonfire until after dark though most folk do it early evening if the neighbour's washing is in.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,113 Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    the smell of smoke is always so worrying especially in a mid-terrace, it sounds as though someone has either has very late bbq or thought it best to burn garden rubbish late. Here you're not supposed to light a garden debris bonfire until after dark though most folk do it early evening if the neighbour's washing is in.

I think here it's no bonfires between 7am and 7pm. There are bungalows with big gardens backing onto the Close so maybe it was one of those? One of life's little mysteries :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Overcast but dry here this morning.
    Just off to do "part 1" of my sourdough and then I'll spend some time in the greenhouse.
    Egg salad for lunch, probably pasta tonight. Last night's pork chop was lovely, it was quite a big one and I thought I might have LOs but nope managed to scoff the lot!:)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,339 Forumite
    I had a cheeky slice of leftover pizza for breakfast along with some fresh fruit, to cancel it out?:rotfl:

I'm making mushrooms and onions marinated in my usual tamari, hot sauce and maple syrup and having it with grilled asparagus and the leftover lentil pasta from yesterday.

Veggie burger with a salad, gherkins and carrot sticks and salsa for dinner.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone,

I was meant to be working this afternoon, but they cancelled on me, which is a bit frustrating. But hey-ho.
    I went to Lidl first thing for the food shopping, spending £13.38. The only thing I got that wasn't on the list was a 4-pack of those Cadburys split-pot mousse things for £1.99. They are a real treat, and I only ever get them if I see them on a good special offer. They are currently about 80p in most shops, if you buy them as individuals.
    The rest of the shopping was things for meals... I'm about to have my "cheap week" of "things on toast", which I do once a month to keep my food shop total down.

Breakfast was a bowl of rice crispies. Not my usual fare, but out of yoghurts and bananas.
    I think I'll do fried eggs on toast for lunch shortly, then perhaps have a bag of crisps and some fruit just before I need to leave for a 2-hour tutoring session at 4:30. Then I'll have the remains of yesterdays soup and one of the mousses when I'm home from that at about 7:15.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills