PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,294 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    'morning, quick clock in before off Lego watching with grandchildren

Rain is on the radar but sun's out just now, luckily where we want to be is in the greenhouse so rain not a problem

Brambling, none of my business but I used to get paid overtime and I piled it in when around, paid of the mortgage early, and retired early, so it was sort of time in the bank and two fingers to them as well

Caron, now I MUST have braised steak & onions, not had it for years, I cans see it now, with mash, cabbage & carrots I've also not got
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »

Rain is on the radar but sun's out just now, luckily where we want to be is in the greenhouse so rain not a problem

It's raining here.... not heavily, but it's definite "medium rain".

About midnight last night I thought "beans on toast" as I really fancied "something".... got to the kitchen, grabbed beans from the cupboard and spotted the chocolate spread... so the beans were put back in the cupboard. Reached for the bread (still going strong with a date of 4 February) and had a skinny crust and last slice from the bag :)
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    I hate "odd" smells.... maybe soon somebody will invent an app that identifies them, so you've a head start on what to expect or what the source might be :)

Trouble is, if you find nothing, you're none the wiser... an app could detect "somebody has bad wind", or "who has bad breath" as well as spotting "dead mouse expected".

Oh I wish this existed! I couldn't find anything at all anywhere but the sofas have both had a good vacuum and the floors underneath everything are clean at least. Maybe, as my Scots grandmother used to say, my nose is too near my ar#e :rotfl::rotfl:

Good morning to everyone.

In true CFO style last night I reheated the tuna pasta at about 8pm and ate it from the Pyrex dish I'd cooked it in :) As my son said when I told him 'living life there Mum' ;) It was very pleasant sat in my pyjamas munching away watching tv.

Hopefully today's meals will be served on a plate as I'm doing a cooked lunch for myself of roast chicken breast, mash, mashed swede and carrots, green cabbage, stuffing and gravy. I'm planning on mash and veg leftovers for tomorrow's evening meal which will be bubble and squeak with egg and beans. Tonight's meal will be boiled eggs and soldiers :D

General pottering here today and printing off lecture slides for the week. I have a shopping list made up but won't need any of until Wednesday or Thursday so don't need to go out.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 10 February 2019 at 2:04PM
    Options
    We all have choices in what we eat ... unless we're CFO .... then it's just endless LOs and drudgery isn't it.... eating what you've got.

So, I have this sausage casserole..... and I've already poked some bits of meatball out of it to make a pizza yesterday .... so I could've done that again today. Instead... I decided to cook up some spaghetti and reheat the entire LOs of the casserole (equivalent of three sausages worth) .... oh well. I'll at least see the back of that then :)

Might use up that other pizza base later, just to get shot of it. I've got a load of stuff I could put on it that need using up, or using in general.... e.g. 1 tomato, most of a bag of onions, peppers I froze, grated cheese, frozen chillies ... so not short of toppings.

EDIT: Half way through cooking the spaghetti, I thought "that's not enough for that large portion of casserole", so I've got two separate batches on the go now ... I'll join them together when the 2nd lot's caught up with the 1st :)

EDIT: Scoffed that. Not really a fan of spaghetti, but I'd already had the casserole with a yorkie, then with rice, then nicked some sausage bits for the pizza, so had to think of a 4th way for the final portion. Spaghetti's one of the easiest/quickest sides to cook, which is the only reason I tend to cook it. I only use about one pack of the 20p 500g spaghetti per year.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had 2 toast with PB.

I'm making leek and potato soup for lunch.:A

I might have black bean wraps again later as I have some salsa left.
    SunnyGirl wrote: »
    Tonight's meal will be boiled eggs and soldiers :D

It's strange as I made soup the other day and when I took the toast out of the toaster I had the impulse to cut it into soldiers. So I did.

I haven't done that in years.:rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    In true CFO style last night I reheated the tuna pasta at about 8pm and ate it from the Pyrex dish I'd cooked it in
    No point creating extra washing up! :)

Hopefully today's meals will be served on a plate as I'm doing a cooked lunch for myself of roast chicken breast, mash, mashed swede and carrots, green cabbage, stuffing and gravy.
    Blimey - that boat was pushed out a long way :) Needed a Yorkie though.

Tonight's meal will be boiled eggs and soldiers :D
    ...when I took the toast out of the toaster I had the impulse to cut it into soldiers. So I did.

I haven't done that in years.
    I had an egg & soldiers phase 2-3 years ago... :) ate them a LOT of times over several months.

I had to switch from buying 15 medium eggs in a box to buying 10 large eggs in a box ... as the L1dl medium eggs weren't quite wide enough for satisfactory dipping :)

That's why I now continue to buy the boxes of 10 eggs ... in case I fancy it again some time....
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thought I would post this to give everyone a laugh. Yesterday morning I woke up and decided to clean the oven while preparing a chicken soup/stew . Unfortunately I had just lobbed everything into the pressure king pro and added boiling stock when suddenly my counter top was flooded ! The electric blew as well! The inner pot was not in its the normal place (inside the PKP) so I spent half an hour mopping up , fiddling with the circuit board and fishing bits of food out of the pot.

Eventually I ended up with a cooked chicken and a big pot of soup with enough for today as well but so frazzled I could not enjoy it.

Looks as if family are not coming over so going to have soup for lunch and maybe put it on the hob to thicken it and add butter beans and then have chicken, mash and green beans tonight unless I have quorn sausages instead and make chicken and mushroom pasta tomorrow.

I have an entire punnet of mushrooms to use up and also green beans so hoping inspiration strikes. I have a real craving for sweets or chocolate but none in the house and CBA to go out. Maybe an options hot chocolate will substitute but does not really sound exciting.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    Elona What a nuisance but at least you rescued it :)

PN The boat was pushed out and it was gorgeous. I cba making any Yorkshire’s and am not keen on the bought ones (my parents are Yorkshire born so would be appalled at bought ones :rotfl:) so sadly gave it a miss.

The boiled egg and soldiers tea was something I used to do quite regularly on Sundays as I always made a roast at lunchtimes when the kids were younger. It meant I had a busy morning in the kitchen but could relax in the afternoon. Or iron all the school uniforms, work shirts and locate lost homework more likely haha.

I am going to load the dishwasher and wipe the work surfaces down then back to an excellent series I’ve found about cold crime cases being reopened years afterwards. It’s real life and I’m enjoying it.

Caron Are you better now?
  • PasturesNew
    edited 10 February 2019 at 4:44PM
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    The inner pot was not in its the normal place (inside the PKP)

That's always my fear with the SC.... although, truth be told, there is no other place for the inner pot except within the outer pot as I've only four small base cupboards, so it'd only fit in there.... and, to date, I've never used the SC twice in quick succession because once I've used it once the food's lurking in the fridge for 3-4 days as I have to eat it all....

Where was yours? Was it a case of "hadn't washed/dried put it away yet from last time, so still on the draining board"?

I'm currently dressed.... and expecting to go to 4ldi at some point in the next 15 minutes to get .... a minty "aero" :) ... and washing up liquid. If I don't do it I'll spend the entire evening pining for my lost opportunity. That'll be gone early tonight... might buy two :)

EDIT: Back. What a palaver.... but a good outing. I think I hit the shop at some hitherto unknown "busy period"! It was mental in there... they were like locusts sweeping through the shop as if it were peak time on a Saturday, not a Sunday! Not much reduced at all... but I did get a punnet of grapes and a 2.5Kg bag of baking spuds ... now ... I've actually "enough spuds thank you very much", but couldn't pass on a half price bag, so got them anyway.... expect many spud-based foods to follow in the next three weeks.

Got my minty aero... and a cheeky orange one :)

Then it was off into £land - spent more in there. I was looking out for needles/cotton, so got a pack of 7 assorted needles (large eyes), and a pack of about 30 or so regular needles ... and a 2-pack of cotton. Needed another pair of £1 specs, my last pair broke within 2 weeks! Then it was off to the chocs aisle for a bag of my favourites - and, finally, an unexpected find - wooden toaster tongs... for reaching down inside a toaster to pluck things out. Normally I turn it off at the mains, then carefully poke a fork in there, so I did have these on my list to get once I found them for sale at £1 or so ... and there they were in £land :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Top tip: If you ever have something in your hand, food that's supposed "to last" - and you try it and are under-whelmed.... best thing to do is to eat the entirety of the whole volume immediately... else it'll just lurk round for awhile and make you feel sad each time you see it.

I used that tip when I tried the orange "aero" just now :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback