PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yorkie cooked, mash defrosted/nuked, casserole ready/served.... added peas too. OMG that was good. Must use sausages more often.... really must.

Having had the Angel Delight idea planted in my head, I suddenly thought "what the heck" as the milk's date's tomorrow and it is the easiest way to get rid of it. Did a butterscotch one, into three portions.... already eaten one of those too :)

Casserole should do for four portions .... rest is boxed up in the fridge for now. It's probably 50-60p or so per portion.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,334 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Had a fright, the PC mouse died, no light, no arrow, just a useless bit of plastic on a wire:eek:

[STRIKE]Press the off button & start again[/STRIKE] Initiated master recovery plan, and now I'm back, the weather is atrocious, must be foretaste of Brexit Day:D [Joke BTW for any who may be triggered by mentioning it]

Cheesy beans on toast is a goer, tin of beans out, pan out, cheese out, grater on standby, toaster on high alert

Noticed my years old plastic / metal combo grater has bad case of the bends and major splits and looks like it may enter fail mode any time, another job when next in town:(
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    It's not even 6 o'clock yet .... but I've already managed to plough my way through all three portions of that AD. Oops. I did try to wait longer for the 3rd one. First one was always going to be an early scoff; second was OK as "still got one left" .... then came the time when I wanted the 3rd one, but feared regret later when I'll wish I'd not been so hasty .... but it was on my mind .... and finally I snapped and ate it :)

355 grams.... when AD sell their ready-made pots they're in 70g pots ... so it was four portions, but I've only got a set of 3 little dishes that "match", so it seemed best to just use those and not seek out 4th pot that was entirely different just to divide it into three. AD want 50p for a 70g pot, that's 71.4/100g. Making my own, even if I'd had the branded AD packed and I bought milk in a 1-pint bottle (so dearest way), it'd cost about 60p to make four....

I guess it's "mostly milk, which is good for you" :)

And, I've had a lot of veggies today for those 5-a-day/10-a-day recommendations, as I had: baked beans, carrots, onions, peas.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Some tasty sounding food in CFO land today, my dinner sounds very mundane in comparison - breaded pollock, peas & green beans from the freezer with a baked spud.
    Finished the chicken, veg & rice soup at lunch time, I'll need to think what next week's batch will be.:)
    Still blowing a hooley here and tipping it down definitely a night for a snuggle beside the stove and then my cosy bed.:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Farway these days it's not just alt, ctrl, delete or switch off it's clear the cache :rotfl:

Horrible drive home tonight I was glad I left at 4.30pm (either managers in :D) and went the longer route which is less likely to flood as there was a lot of surface water. Farway the wet and windy weather started mid morning and was horrendous to drive in but at least it was still half light. The last mile it was almost too hard to see out but it wasn't safe to park and wait out, The rain stopped about six and I assume the fireworks I can hear are for Chinese New Year, his lordship has retired to bed he's not sure about them.

Lunch was LO tomato and bean stew with purple sprouting and my stomach entertained the office by gurgling all afternoon :o.
    I had a cba moment re dinner but settled on airfried chips, quorn steak and sweetcorn not what I planned but better than the rubbish I was thinking of having :cool:

How are you feeling now Caronc? Once you've decided on you soup let me know I'm also looking for ideas for next week :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    Went to see the new Shakespeare film today, to get away from the fire saga for a bit.Came home n made HM cauli cheese n wedges, was lush :p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • PasturesNew
    edited 9 February 2019 at 11:28AM
    Options
    I got up early. I had a bath, I washed my hair, I got dressed. I'm sitting here in my jacket still thinking "bugg4h it".... Plan A had been to pop to L1dl for a couple of bags of their apricots which are the weekend special offer (49p instead of 99p)... but, while I'd really like these as I'm "slowly working towards having the ingredients in for a couple of things"... I really CBA and just think "so what if you go out and get them.... they'll only clutter up the cupboards - you've more than enough food in the house. Eat what you've got".

So now I can't decide if I should go and get some, or not.... at the moment "don't bother" is winning.

EDIT: "Don't bother" won :) I'd have only bought six sausage rolls if I'd gone out .... and I've food overload already.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    My dinner's evolving.... :)

It's gone like this:

Plan A: You made that sausage casserole yesterday, have that with rice today.
    Plan B: Look, there are two tomatoes that need using up - and those pizza bases that are troublesome to find cupboard room for, so they're omnipresent in the kitchen and perpetually moved... if you use up those tomatoes on a pizza base that could be two wins.
    Plan C: Start prepping stuff for a pizza. Onion out ready to chop. Got a few strips of frozen green pepper out to defrost from the freezer. Grate the last three chunks of cheddar ready to use. Make a pizza sauce base and pop it in the fridge.
    Plan D: If you scoop out some of the sausage from the sausage casserole and scrape off the tomato sauce bit ... you can can slice that up and do a meatball pizza.

I'm now at the stage of lunch being a meatball pizza... but umming and aahing over whether I now need those green peppers on it.... will probably toss them on anyway as they've pretty much defrosted.

:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,334 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Glad to hear you made it home safely Brambling, I'm guessing your weather was my LOs:) Wise move avoiding the flood prone roads

PN, AD, my lookalike is mainly potato starch, so maybe counts towards the 5 a day?, Nearly as healthy as blob of mash made with milk:D

Last night's beans on toast was not enough, finished up nuking a bowl of porridge later on:o I did stir a diced apple in though

More porridge this morning, for breakfast

Then out for an hour of gardening, wanted to crack on before the rain arrives.
    Managed to sort out the buddlias that have been bugging me to get pruned, one in my front verge bit is rotten to the core, I think it's had it. Not too concerned it was much too large for the position I planted it in.
    Thinking cap on for a useful but care free replacement

I finished just in time, rain is now here, in for rest of the day from the forecast I saw

Lunch will be another bacon butty

I've taken the savoury mince out of 'fridge, that'll go in low oven for my dinner, may do a few dumplings with it, but learning from the the other day, keep quantity low
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Brambling - I'm thinking pea or lentil & bacon soup wise but that could change and I do have a butternut squash needing used up.

My it was wild during the night and there is quite a bit of damage locally. Thankfully apart from the fence at the front between my neighbours and myself I can't see anything else that been affected. The fence was on it's last legs anyway and we had agreed to replace it in the summer so no real harm done. It's still blowing a hooley but seems to be beginning to die back slowly.
    I'm still feeling pretty wiped out so happy to have another easy day. I need to sort out a grocery order for the beginning of the week but other than that I've nothing that desperately needs doing.

I think I'll follow Farway and have a bacon butty for lunch and tonight I'm going with jerk spiced chicken thighs roasted with sweet potato, mushrooms, tomato and a mini corn cob.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback