PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As I don't eat meals as such, I just eat food and graze on a whim... today's scoffathon has so far been:

Chilli/rice
    A muffin filled with a squirt of salad cream and 4-5 small tomatoes.
    About 100g of choccies.
    2 packets of Walkers C/O crisps.
    2 hot sausage rolls.

That might be it for today ..... but as I've over-scoffed quite early today I might eat something later too... have to see how it goes.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all,

It's been gloriously sunny and warm around these parts! I spent most of the afternoon outside running around a playing field and digging in a sandpit with the little lad I've been supporting this week. Tomorrow will be my final morning with him, then I'll be off elsewhere.
    The teacher who usually works with him has asked if she can put me forward as their regular supply worker in the special needs class, which I was happy to agree to. It's easy money really, and although I've come home covered in all sorts of odd grime this past week, it's nothing a wash won't fix!

No tutoring for me tonight, but I'll be off to my choir rehearsal in about an hour. Everything is busy busy at the moment, but I'm enjoying it generally. Busy, but not "stressed out busy", which I have been previously.

I had an early tea that was all beige. Frozen potato croquettes (never tried the frozen ones before, but you get loads more in a packet, for less money than the fresh ones, and although the taste wasn't QUITE as good as the fresh, I wouldn't go back), and Bernard Matthews "Hamwich". Which I saw a few weeks ago, which looked just like the "cheese and bacon grills" my mum used to buy when I was a teenager! These were a bit smaller, and a different shape, but basically the same taste! Quite a fun re-visit of a "food from my youth!"
    I was going to have some beans or something as well, but when it came down to it, I couldn't be bothered to open a can!

One of the joys of CFO - just yourself to please. And when you can't be bothered, you don't have bother!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks Money I will look at that.
    I have no idea what the weeds are they are still tiny. I have hoed it over then a week or so later they had reappeared so I sat and pulled a lot out and pulled through it with a weed thing I have for getting weeds out of paving. I might need to leave until they are bigger so I can grasp them .
    tonight i had courgettes, mushrooms onions, and peppers. Used the 2nd half of a jar of pasta sauce with a bit of spice, and split into 2 portions I've had half with lo rice from Saturday . Then tomorrow I'll have the same but with pasta and garlic bread. I hope it tastes nicer tomorrow as it was a bit meh! !
    I called to see my eldest sister today , with another sister and my aunt was there ,she's like a 5 th sister so we had a nice chat.
    Had tea early and I've just done an hour tidying up the garden ,snipping and straightening. It's been lovely today and the forcast is good for the next 2 days whilst I'm in work. Then rain when I'm off at the weekend! !
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I was going to have some beans or something as well, but when it came down to it, I couldn't be bothered to open a can!

One of the joys of CFO - just yourself to please. And when you can't be bothered, you don't have bother!

So tough when there's never anybody present who would be able/willing to do these hard tasks isn't it ...

I'm always fine with opening a bean can if I fancy them - bothering to grate cheese is another matter. I cut the block cheese into fat sticks that fit into my manual rotary grater... so all I have to do is grab a cut stick from the bag and get the grater out and grate it... I just don't then fancy the next bit, where I know the grater then needs to be washed up :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

After day 3 of relentless wind & rain I'm fed up with it. I do hope the forecast for better weather tomorrow (for one day only before it gets rough again) is correct as I would like to get some fresh air instead of being cooped up indoors.

I've had a bit of a "meh" day, balance is a bit iffy - nothing major but enough for me not to want to do very much so putting away a grocery order and some minimal tidying up has been about the extent of it. Didn't get the length of making savoury mince so mince and tatties will appear tomorrow as I like the mince to have a nice, long, slow simmer. I'm definitely having one of those days where it would be lovely to have someone say "will I cook tonight, what do you fancy?" However, that's not going to happen so dinner tonight will be jerk spiced chicken thighs, baked sweet potato, roasted tomatoes/ mushrooms and some spinach or kale from the freezer. Nice and easy to prep and more or less takes care of itself cooking wise.
  • caronc
    Options
    Just noticed that Tesco "Indian Meals for One" - choice of chicken tikka masala or jalfrezi is half price until 30/10 @ £1.75. "Meal" includes curry, bombay potatoes, rice and bhaji. I might pop one in my next order.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Last time I weighed myself (about a month ago) I was 8 stone 4 lbs (52.6Kg).

I mostly eat pies, chocolates, crisps, chips ... and similar fodder.

It's not WHAT you eat that makes you put weight on, it's skimping/balancing the quantities. Eat smaller portions and you can have pie more often :)

Lucky you :D

I'm afraid my body doesn't like too much c*ap I end up feeling sluggish and blah if I eat too much fat or process food and it misses fruit and vegetables if I don't eat a regular supply of it :D so I'm with Stoke on a nice piece of fish with veg :) although a occasional treat doesn't hurt :rotfl: which is why I'm fighting a continuous battle with my weight :eek:

It looked a lovely day today but I was in a 3 hour meeting / telephone conference over lunch and didn't get outside :o there was an unfortunate moment where I had lost the will to live and was looking at work emails and wondering when I could eat when I caught my name :eek: last thing you want is 'and what do you think......' when you have only half been listening, luckily my colleague next to me was able to come to the rescue, thank goodness for the mute button :rotfl: there's two more long meetings booked this week, I can see a large glass of red by Friday especially as I'm also working Saturday.

I've decided I'm officially too short for this time of year :rotfl: the winter sun hits the windscreen just at eye level, there were a few times tonight when I turned a corner and was blinded :eek: just as well there were no cyclists :eek:

My very late lunch was minestrone soup, dinner was a using up of LO from the fridge. Bubble and squeak from LO Sunday dinner, the last of the bacon (left from my soup making) and a poached egg on top, it was very tasty :D sometimes it's the simple thing which taste so good, and with very little effort too :rotfl:

Thanks for the Indian meal tip Caronc :)
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Just noticed that Tesco "Indian Meals for One" - choice of chicken tikka masala or jalfrezi is half price until 30/10 @ £1.75. "Meal" includes curry, bombay potatoes, rice and bhaji. I might pop one in my next order.

Sounds ideal. If I were in there I'd buy one at that price. I don't do online ordering as I don't buy/spend enough ... and Tesco is a 16 mile round trip from here I think. I stopped going when they removed their 95p Korma Chicken Curry from their shelves, never to be replaced. I LOVE spicy curries, but that korma one was a really GOOD "cheap ready meal curry".

Lidl and Aldi used to do "takeaway bag style" packs of indian - tried them both, both were awful - and, now I think of it, I've not seen those for well over a year, so maybe it wasn't just me that thought it :)

I'm not usually a fan of supermarket ready meals for chinese/indian as I don't think they taste nice, as a rule.
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »

I'm afraid my body doesn't like too much c*ap I end up feeling sluggish and blah if I eat too much fat or process food and it misses fruit and vegetables if I don't eat a regular supply of it :D
    My "system" is the same and I hate that bloated/sluggish feeling if I don't get a decent amount of F&V and fibre or eat too much processed stuff. _pale_
    I'm not usually a fan of supermarket ready meals for chinese/indian as I don't think they taste nice, as a rule.
    They are definitely not as good as HM or a takeaway but handy as a stand by for a quick meal if you hit CBA mode. I wouldn't pay full price but reckoned £1.75 was ok:).
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    My "system" is the same and I hate that bloated/sluggish feeling if I don't get a decent amount of F&V and fibre or eat too much processed stuff. _pale_ ).

It's just as well I like to cook :D
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback