PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Cooked some lovely fish last night from ALDI with veg. Dead healthy. Can't really go wrong with fish and veg. Tastes nice, and truck loads of nutrition.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ....still using my El Cheapo sofa (£250 from one of those cheaper manufacturers) whilst I can clearly see my more recent sofa (made with the fabric I wanted/converts into narrow double bed/etc) that cost me 10 times the price and is a "world of difference" in comfort.
    Keeping the other one "for best" :)

I popped into L1dl... sausage rolls and Walkers crisps obtained. Sitting here eating crisps now.

While browsing in there I noticed a few things:
    - they are still not stocking/selling their own brand 2l ginger beer (been gone since end of June).
    - their packs of 40 cooked cocktail sausages (highly recommended) were in 4 flavours. Regular, Hot/Spicy, Cumberland, Lincolnshire. I was partial to the Cumberland and Lincs for my cooked breakfasts - they're currently only stocking the Regular ones.
    - "While stocks last" in the freezer - there was an interesting looking roulade. Never bought a roulade, but I was killing time - I can't remember the price, but it wasn't staggering ... two flavours, Kir/Black Cherry and a Strawberry/Prosecco one. Might be worth a look if anybody's looking for a dessert that's a bit different.
    - their Offer of the Week Chilli meatballs are vaguely tempting, but I didn't bother to get any as I've just made a chilli and if I buy meatballs then I'd have food overload/similar food overload.

There have been a few items I'd have liked to have bought at L1dl lately, from the special offer price weeks/weekends, but I really am trying to reduce food spending and get through what I've got ... else what's in the cupboard just languishes.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    ...truck loads of nutrition.

The food groups I tend to favour are: Treat, Happiness and Joy. Keeps the mental health in order :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,328 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you are able and willing .... you know fried tastes better and will have a lovely texture :) Maybe some crispy bits.

FRY!!

Yep, that was just what I did, fried, complete with brown crispy bits on the bottom.

Lovely summery day here, nearly hot in the sun

Can't stay, I've got hospital appointment, bit of prodding & poking, nothing invasive, just reviewing before booking me onto waiting list one fine day
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Popped to £land for choccies :) Checked the WP pies and there were three twin-packs reduced to 50p. So one came home with me. I've put them in the freezer. One small annoyance that only a CFO would notice is that the pie edges touch when in the packet - so to avoid them freezing welded together I've had to slit the end and put the opened pack into the freezer with one of them "at an angle". Once they've frozen I can nudge it back into the plastic tray, but it's annoying as it means the pack is open and there's insufficient wrapping to effectively clip it shut. Didn't really want to remove them from the packet and wrap/freeze individually as it's easier to see what you've got if you can retain/use the original packaging.
  • Stoke
    Options
    The food groups I tend to favour are: Treat, Happiness and Joy. Keeps the mental health in order :)

Not sure I can do that.... my weight :( ?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Treat - yep...quite a variety of things with a nice bit of West Country clotted cream:D. Dark chocolate:D

Joy and Happiness - not particularly words I associate with food personally.

Makes the World look a more "comfortable" place - after a particularly nice meal/comfortably full stomach etc.

Escape - well that would be a couple of glasses of wine to try and "lighten mood" when Life is being a hassle/problem.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,328 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 9 October 2018 at 4:39PM
    Options

Joy and Happiness - not particularly words I associate with food personally.

How about not finding a maggot in an apple, would that count?

PS, pizza for dinner
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Stoke
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    How about not finding a maggot in an apple, would that count?

PS, pizza for dinner

Lucky!! I want pizza :(
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    Not sure I can do that.... my weight :( ?

Last time I weighed myself (about a month ago) I was 8 stone 4 lbs (52.6Kg).

I mostly eat pies, chocolates, crisps, chips ... and similar fodder.

It's not WHAT you eat that makes you put weight on, it's skimping/balancing the quantities. Eat smaller portions and you can have pie more often :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback