PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2018 at 2:47PM
    Options
    Feeling a bit cba - but I'm cooking up a chickpea crepe and plan to have that with sauted onion/garlic/bit of a pepper/courgette/canned tomatoes/canned kidney beans.

The chickpea crepe recipe is from a folder I've been accummulating of "My recipes/notions". Had to add a lot more water than recipe said - so recipe binned - but general concept to be kept.

So - I've now got 2 folders of recipes/notions I've written down from t'Internet to suit me personally and shall be trying out my way through them. Easier to "make myself bother" if I'm just picking out next page in my own folder....
  • Irenadler
    Irenadler Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ay oop me ducks!

Thought I'd throw in a bit of local dialect, since some of that has crept in.... :rotfl:

MIA yesterday due to hospital appointment (mine for a change); won't go into graphic details, but lets just say food was kept to the light side, humph!

Porridge
    Beans on toast
    Soup then yogurt

Now the digestive system is no longer under assault, today is:

Porridge and banana - way hay, push the boat out!
    Singapore spicy hot chicken noodles - nuked and boy they were hot. Yogurt to cool down.
    Soup, of the vegetarian variety....

Happy to say the dog and relatives, are, well relatively ok.... Trying not to blench or heave at all this talk of stinky sardines/pilchards...Gah....
    "...when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth..."
    "Mastering a low budget lifestyle now, means you are set for life" quote by 'Miss Babs'

Dog's 'Pot o' Gold' = £23.85
    Household maintenance = 0
    Prolific Academic = £41.64
    edited 23 January 2018 at 3:50PM
    Options
    Duly eaten my tomatoes/peppers/etc/etc concoction with a bit of what-was-meant-to-be chickpea crepe (oops!).

Well it tasted nice - partly courtesy of throwing the "kitchen sink" in with the tomatoes/etc "sauce" including the particular hot sauce recommended by previous poster on here.

That chickpea pancake did not work out though....it was edible and tasted fine - but broke up. Think I'd better ask a friend of mine for his recipe for this - which I tried out back along (introduces own bit of dialect here:rotfl:) and it came out as per his instructions.

You live and learn.

I'm hoping my stomach isn't going to tell me it's hungry again later - after a recent thread on a Facebook group thread of a woman asking why she isn't nearly so hungry since swopping to a wholefood/"vegan" diet and being told that often happens (because the body has got all the nutrients it needs - and therefore doesnt have to make you feel hungry for more and doesnt) and not to worry about it basically. Two meals a day would be such a help to lose that 2 stones surplus....

I shall carefully ignore another thread on same group where a much younger woman reckons she's correct weight at the same height/weight as I currently am - as I've been through the 1970s/1980s and the old "height/weight charts" so thankfully I do know her/my current weight is on the plump side thankfully and I have to get back to 1970s slim. There has to be some advantages to having lived that bit longer/being that bit older....
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,253 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon all

Raining again, no breakfast even though I had plenty of time, just not fancied
    Lild mooch this morning. Basic bread etc, found YS sliced Bavarian ham, a new one on me but at 67P worth a punt, five days left before BB date so no idea why YS.

Reading Kitties ham & piccalilli sandwich has given me an idea of a twist on my YS ham

Lunch was another mini pork pie & mustard

I think dinner may be a repeat of lunch, or the ham & piccalilli option?
    Freezer full of stuff but dithering thinking about it
    Really the weather is the stew and dumplings sort, but non in freezer & CBA to sort something now

Either way some stewed apple & Greek yogurt will finish it off
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Thankfully its brightened up here, it was a very dull grey and wet start this morning and after getting even more depressed with the news programme = elderly malnutrition yesterday and childhood obesity today - I took myself off to the kitchen to boogie with ken bruce, made Peperonata for tomorrow and did a freezer/fridge tidy.

I needed to get some butter and marg so popped out to the SM also managed to pick up a YS 750g pack of pork mince, I'll freeze half and make kofta kebabs with the other half, when I can find the note of the spice mix I made up for the last lot, they were good.

Breakfast was a slice of toast with PB and the last of the shrivelling satsumas, I used up the last of the feta in a lunchtime salad with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce on it which means I can have some tinned fish on toast tomorrow, I think its mackerel but not sure :D

Took myself off for a good stretch of the legs after lunch and came back to find the for sale sign had gone up on the house next door, so all change again.

Anyway I'm managing to stick to the menu plan so far this week with tonight's offering being the last of the christmas stash of Kiltie sausages, I'll cook the large sweet potato in wedges, eat some/freeze some and have a zingy sweetcorn and tomato salsa on the side.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I shall carefully ignore another thread on same group where a much younger woman reckons she's correct weight at the same height/weight as I currently am - as I've been through the 1970s/1980s and the old "height/weight charts" so thankfully I do know her/my current weight is on the plump side thankfully and I have to get back to 1970s slim. There has to be some advantages to having lived that bit longer/being that bit older....

I've always said "I was always a little plump growing up", being probably 0.5-1 stone more than'd be ideal at all ages.

I now say "I've not changed, but everybody else has become SO large that now I actually get described as slim!" :)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I really liked my lunch today. The mushrooms I made were very nice. I marinated them for a while in Frank's hot sauce, garlic puree and soya sauce and then grilled them. I will make the same thing tomorrow as it was tasty.

I found some lemon sherbet sweets and have had a few while I was trying to decide what to make for dinner.:p

Out of interest, why are you trying to get to the same weight as you were in the 1970s? It seems like a strange aim.:rotfl:
    Options
    I've always said "I was always a little plump growing up", being probably 0.5-1 stone more than'd be ideal at all ages.

I now say "I've not changed, but everybody else has become SO large that now I actually get described as slim!" :)

Oh yeah...I can't find one single person to agree with me that I'm overweight currently - but the facts havent altered - and I know darn well I still am (if not by vast amounts).

Try watching films/tv programmes/etc from, say, the 1960s and 1970s and you'll "get your eyes re-trained as to how things are supposed to look" or study the old height/weight tables and pick a weight somewhere halfway in "your" range and that will be it.

Don't forget - a 5'4" woman of medium build is due to be 8.5 stones - bang in the middle of the old height/weight tables for that sex/that build/that height. Add 4 lbs per extra inch of height. So a 5'5" woman is "bang on" at 8stone 10lbs and so on.
    edited 23 January 2018 at 6:08PM
    Options

Out of interest, why are you trying to get to the same weight as you were in the 1970s? It seems like a strange aim.:rotfl:

Totally realistic to want to look reasonable imo. - not in the slightest bit strange ....

- slim not plump
    - less weight on my knees
    - able to fit back into the majority of my clothes again
  • Izadora
    Izadora Posts: 2,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't forget - a 5'4" woman of medium build is due to be 8.5 stones - bang in the middle of the old height/weight tables for that sex/that build/that height. Add 4 lbs per extra inch of height. So a 5'5" woman is "bang on" at 8stone 10lbs and so on.

I thought the reason that there was a range was due to the fact that people carry weight very differently.

My mum and I are both 5'6" but are the same clothes size when I'm a stone and a half heavier than her.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback