PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Well - I've just tried out "not so much a recipe - more a notion" thing of blitzing together porridge oats/ripe banana/bit of plant mylk/bit of cinnamon and "sauteing" as a sorta pancake.

The idea was for it to be served with frozen raspberries/frozen berries (may or may not be from my garden...unsure)/pour a bit of my Oatly "cream" over the top and chuck on a few hemp seeds artistically. Due to be Instagram worthy.

That was the plan. The reality was the "pancake" all went a bit clidgy - but I plonked my accompaniments with it anyway. Well - it tasted nice. Now I'm waiting for some toast to have as well. The "recipe" has been thrown out.

End result of trying (for the 4th time today - and I'm assured again it's sorted - with a sodder).....and then I headed off to buy some beer to console myself for doing a task 4 times to date that I shouldnt have had to do once.

I am making headway at getting the "Existence" side of Life under control - in order to get on with "Life as I planned it". I'll get there....
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    I've had a fairly lazy day apart from clearing up after last night. The lurgy seems to have reappeared and I'm back to being all bunged up despite my nose running like a tap. It's a shame it's the wrong time of year but I reckon I'd make a very good "Rudolph":eek:. He had popped to Morrison's to get some groceries for himself after the dentist and returned with random but much appreciated pressie for me - a globe artichoke:D. These are usually like hen's teeth here so I'm looking forward to having it for lunch with lots of lemony butter this week:D:D.

My son headed off with the LO veg and mash as well as some beef and gravy so he's for another "roast dinner" tonight but this time without all the cooking;).

My lunch was a very enjoyable roast beef, mustard and lettuce roll. There's enough beef left for another tomorrow and portion to freeze as well so although it was an expensive roast we've got a fair bit out of it so got our moneysworth!

Tonight I'm for griddled spuds, mushrooms, fried egg and tinned plum tomatoes as I want something simple but tasty. I did manage to put a loose meal plan together for the week though they'll be no haggis on Thursday as I'm due to be out so plan that at the weekend instead.
    Meals planned for the rest of this week
    • various veg in a creamy gorgonzola sauce with pasta
    • corned beef hash
    • HM donner meat, halloumi bake, greek pitta bread
    • spiced salmon, pepper stew and wedges
    • haggis, neeps and tatties
    • plus one yet to be decided
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The John west kippers are the dogs dangly bits of the prepped kippers

They are never salty, and I've never found a bone

Just open the tin - ring pull for pure ease- drain, tip on a plate and nuke ( I use a cover over the plate as they can sometimes explode a bit ). Sprinkle with vinegar and black pepper, add a poached egg if being really greedy, a couple of slices of brown bread and butter and enjoy :)

They aren't cheap at £1.49 but I sometimes find them in B&M and the like for slightly less
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Options
    I'm sure I saw some in L1d! but didn't notice the price.

Lidl tinned fish is the only thing I don't buy. I've always been really disappointed by the quality
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had another batch cooking for the freezer day. I did a beef stew in one slow cooker and a chicken one in the other, and made chilli and cottage pies. I then couldn't decide what I wanted for dinner (too much available choice), so in the end I had a portion of the chilli with a naan bread that was lurking in the freezer.

I have kept a portion of chicken stew out for dinner tomorrow.

I also made a cake for my niece as she was calling in this afternoon and as the oven was on made some soda bread and scones for the freezer. I shall warm some of the soda bread up to have with some cheese for lunch tomorrow.

The freezer HM ready meal stocks are quite good now, but after my recent unexpected time in hospital I feel happier that I have plenty of quick easy meals in the freezer that can go from the freezer to the microwave if necessary.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oh thanks suki, I love kippers and to have a few tins put by, well that is a real treat and thanks for the instructions

A messy day wrt food yesterday and was glad to have had a `good` breakfast as in healthy. I was very busy in the morning, had a lot of communal paperwork to sort, it has been niggling at me for weeks. Took over 3 hours but got done. By then I cba and dived into the shed for an emergency add boiling water pack, a vegetable/rice noodle soup, the veg was a paste. Tbh it tasted nice but I daren`t look at the ingredients, two just rol cinnamon slices minus icing (nice), one slice of dark chocolate. I got myself on a bike ride after that, hoping to re-set the food body clock.

Last meal was a normal meal, last of the lentil soup with chunked ciabatta in a bowl. Strange how that kind of meal stops any of that niggling mouth or stomach hunger. Again slept 7 1/2 hours, all through and I am so grateful to be sleeping well again. I think it has taken 3 years to get to this stage

I made a small loaf yesterday, in the small bm. Half ancient peasant flour and half strong normal, looks lovely, made the dough in the bm, then left to prove in a tin in the fridge for hours. I have been craving a ham and picallili sandwich, so ham is out the freezer. Ratatouille is also out, a small one, so will have that with defrosted turkey sausages, heated up to hot, altogether for last meal

In betweeners: dark choc, home bottled gooseberries with yoghurt, small parkin and lots of a very special green tea all day
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    It'll be flatbread and scones today because food never goes away....

Yesterday I couldn't have eaten them all, I just had the two sausage rolls. So that means that today I HAVE to eat the flatbread and 4 scones because they've been frozen/defrosted....else they'll go green.

That's the trouble when you get out of sync.

I also have swede and carrots that are cooked so will need eating today or tomorrow. I might just do those with gravy to get them eaten and gone.... offhand I can think of nothing I have in the freezer that'll go with those.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I'm struggling to find my oomph this morning so I'm noodling on here still in pjs and drinking decaff:o. still I'm not expecting any visitors and don't need to go anywhere so will just take my time;). Must take a crusty roll out of the freezer to defrost for lunch. The last of the beef and the last of the lettuce will do very nicely as a filling and I'll pop the bone and some pot veg in the pressure cooker for stock. Tonight I think I'm going to have the pasta dish from meal plan though I might bung corned beef hash in the slow cooker will see how I get on.:)
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    Cereal with almond milk and a yoghurt for breakfast.

I'm making tofu scramble with peppers, garlic and onions, HM potato wedges and grilled mushrooms for lunch, maybe with a slice of seeded toast. I'm looking forward to it. I will probably have it about 1 o'clock as I feel full at the moment.

I'm going to make some green tea in a minute.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    yay, my hibiscus herbs have arrived, I will be making a herb concoction for some special and lovely tea later. All in a small kilner and kept in a dark cupboard. So nice to get back to simple things after the christmas stodge

I decided I had to make more soup and am liking the new book by hugh FW, basically the veg I would use but perhaps a better twist. Only made this one with a pint of water but the pan is full and having a good veg soup handy covers all bases

A small piece of chewy, molasses rich, parkin is being eaten and a very special green tea. Ooh that ham sandwich awaits for my lunch, with that picallili and the soup. I`ll have the soup first, then the chocolate afterwards. Oh so cosy and that leads me to father brown

I love the afternoons taken at leisure, if I have managed to do something constructive in the morning. Today I dug leeks and picked parsley from my allotment, re-positioned ropes around the soon- producing and tall purple sprouting plants. Very sticky soil up there but I feel glad that I went
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback