PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• BucksLady
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »

This will be my last post for a few weeks, so take care, stay well and keep warm :). Bye for now :)

Have a safe journey and enjoy your time with family :).
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had seeded toast for breakfast. I went upstairs and burned the first two slices.:mad:

I have to go out about 2.45 so I will have lunch before I go. I'm not sure what to have yet. I might have a smoothie in a minute.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I never knew there were tinned kippers, can they be cooked like kippers? If so then they will be bought in

I'm another who didn't know they existed, quick search, bingo! https://www.john-west.co.uk/kippers-in-brine/ I suspect other brands are available

Sun came out this morning, [STRIKE]toddled[/STRIKE] drove into town, nothing needed except to get out of the house

Good news PN, £land have choc Santas, packet of three [where have I heard that before?;)] down to 50p. In a clearance basket, with Fry's Xmas sweeties boxes. I bought two for the grandchildren due over this weekend

The only other buy were YS pack of 4 mini pork pies from Adsa. I have been thinking of pork pies since before Christmas when the supply seems to have dried up

One pork pie turned into lunch

Not sure about dinner, may be another pie or more likely a nuked pizza. I found a box of 2 lurking in the freezer when I oiked out the unwanted beef burgers to bin them

I have never nuked a pizza before but noted these [Chicago town] have a foil thingy in the pack for nuking. Time will tell
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Afternoon All,

I made an early start this morning so just some bran flakes and stewed apples for breakfast. Then had a lovely long walk in the sunshine (needed to make up for the shortfall created last week) and feel loads better for it.

Dentist check-up and thankfully nothing needs doing and home for some lentil soup and toast for lunch.

I had thought to try out a Ken H0m recipe tonight but when I saw the price of steaks I had a very quick change of mind from beef to prawns. I don't buy chunks of cow very often, think its probably about 6 months since I did a bit of brisket in the SC and maybe 8-10 months since I bought a bit of sirloin steak which would have been on special offer, but no way was I paying the price they are asking at the moment.

Just finished doing my weekly plan and its a mixture of freezer supplies and fresh stuff =
    Mon - Prawns & Peppers in Oyster Sauce with fried rice.
    Tues - Kiltie sausages, sweet potato wedges, sweetcorn and tomato salsa.
    Wed - Peperonata Pasta and garlic bread slices.
    Thurs - Haggis, neeps and tatties (:D yummy)
    Fri - Fish Pie.
    Sat - Haggis Scotch Egg (:D even more yummy)
  • Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I'm another who didn't know they existed, quick search, bingo! https://www.john-west.co.uk/kippers-in-brine/ I suspect other brands are available

I'm sure I saw some in L1d! but didn't notice the price.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lunch today was the nut roast, neeps, tatties, carrots, peas, gravy.

Random Snack: a few tortilla chips.

Later probably 2 sausage rolls as I've still got two in the pack (of 6) and they're dated for today's date, so I should eat those.

I tossed a portion of mash (made 3-4 days ago) into the freezer. The fridge contains cooked neeps and carrots .... so they'll want eating in the next 1-2 days.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've got out of sync and got it all wrong ....

I'd frozen two small flat breads at Xmas. Took the pack out 2 days ago and ate 1. The other's on the worktop.... needs to be eaten.

I'd frozen a pack of 12 small scones at Xmas. Have been having 2-3 here and there but took the final 4 out to defrost. They are on the worktop .... need to be eaten.

The sausage rolls have a use by today date .... need to be eaten. I could freeze these, but would prefer to eat them.

So .... I have a lot of bready/cakey/pastry items to scoff through tonight :)
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been shopping today ,home bargains, and aldi, spent quite a lot but everything was on the list except the thermal tights. @£2.99 as I'm sick of sewing the holes in the toes up.

Home late for lunch but I'd bought some gfree cheese and onion rolls (like sausage roll but cheese) which I was planning on so they went in for lunch, cheese pies are the 1 thing I miss being coeliac and I was hoping they could bridge the gap. They were ok but needed a bit more cheese taste.

Don't know what tea will be yet??

Mr AP have a wonderful holiday.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2018 at 6:25PM
    Options
    Thinks - as it says on a Facebook page I'm on:

Courgette/spinach/carrots/a pepper/potatoes/sweet potatoes/tomatoes/mushrooms and a couple of types of nuts (cashews). Got cans of beans (eg chickpeas/kidneybeans).

Go hive mind....Go.

Any ideas on what's for dinner?

:rotfl:You seriously know you cba when your mind is struggling with that...

errrm....I've got various grains - eg couscous and quinoa are quick - as well and flour.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,310 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 22 January 2018 at 7:10PM
    Options
    Pie & chips then Money?:)

The nuked pizza was OKish, can't remember what I paid, but anything over £1.50 for a two pack would be theft IMO

Followed by the very last mince pie, all gone until December

I checked prices of tinned kippers, Lild is the dearest at 1.99, but it is a larger tin, nearly 190g Adas is the cheapest, 1.45 160g, followed by of all people W/rose at 1.50

Just checked frozen pizzas, Adsa again, offer at £1. May get another pack at that price, 50p each, ideal standby for a CFO CBA day, 3 minutes nuke, eat

PS, sort of food & shopping & everything related
    I heard the term "Sturgeon's Law" the other day. New one on me. Basically states 90% of everything is carp. Seems about right to me
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback