PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    good food so far today
    mid morning protein boost +fatty acids etc, sardines loaded onto small slice of toast. Loved it :cool:

lunch: leek quiche from freezer (last piece) nice with steamed cabbage and carrots. Strip of very dark chocolate

yukky day today and I have candles burning plus electric heating on, I would be inclined to watch a film but would really rather get on with my audible detective book plus easy knitting

As per my usual roam around rightmove, I have today seen several very suitable and nice homes in exeter, good for buses, shops etc but not at all good for `leave the house with a bike` cycling. Too many busy roads around. Nice to see though

Last meal: thick lentil soup with a broken up piece of ciabatta in bottom of the bowl, ultimate comfort and filling food for me and all made and ready

Thanks caronc, nice sardine link and I am hoping everyone else is having at least a calm day. Seeing my 40+ adult children yesterday, so looking forward to retirement and so stressed with work, made me very grateful to be in my position

lOL kittie how many children? know what you mean though. I am so grateful to be retired now especialynot having to go out in dire weather. Hope you had a great birthday.
    Slimming World at target
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: Best confess, my name is Caronc and I love sardines, pilchards and marmite. Suspect I may be beyond help:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

That's two of us at least, time to start a FB group? Or start #lovesardines?[just kidding]

I finished up with hammy salad baguette for lunch, thought at least I should have something fresh & green today due to baked spud / salad smear fail for dinner

Plus some of my stewed apples with Greek yoghurt

Slight addition for dinner, will now also include LO stuffing from the early 2018 Christmas dinner
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    meg72 wrote: »
    I am so grateful to be retired now especialynot having to go out in dire weather.

Definitely one of the blessings of retirement that one is:T.

The whole if one wakes up feeling tired/ill/the weather is god-awful = you don't have to go out to earn a living regardless:)

Anything I feel I "have to" do could always involve a quick phonecall to the local taxi firm I use in case of need and a very cheap lift to whatever-it-is:)

If anyone is out round here today taking beach walks/putting up photos saying "Isn't this nice?:)" on Facebook and/or beach-cleaning today - I don't fancy the thought of joining them.

It's surprising/pleasing just how many people will turn out in this area for cleaning all that blimmin' plastic off the beaches that the sea leaves there - and they always look clean to me (despite how much gets picked up at pretty frequent intervals).

Dinner = I havent thought yet.

Personally - I'm slowly making my way through doing the springcleaning at the moment (well you gotta figure out how you're going to spend spare moments during the "worst weather" months of the year here :rotfl:). You soon learn what they mean here by "cwtch up" indoors. Must finish my current book that my book group has chosen too...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lol meg :D

money I am getting fed up with supermarkets only supplying those awful plastic bags for fruit and veg. They should be supplying paper bags by now. I could put fruit etc loose in the trolley but I sometimes see children standing in them with goodness knows whatever on their shoes
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Definitely one of the blessings of retirement that one is:T.

The whole if one wakes up feeling tired/ill/the weather is god-awful = you don't have to go out to earn a living regardless:)

You soon learn what they mean here by "cwtch up" indoors. Must finish my current book that my book group has chosen too...

Good word, cwtch. It also means to cuddle someone in close to you, so if someone offers to give you a cwtch, be aware. :D

My job is totally home based, and never have I been so grateful. I can't really walk, anyway, so working outside the home would be physically very difficult. I have breakfast in the kitchen, finish my coffee, and thirty seconds later, I'm at work, in my armchair, with my laptop on my lap.

I wasn't very hungry earlier, but gosh, I fancied bread, and I have very little in. Made some flatbreads from just flour and oil, dry-fried in a pan. Left me feeling really satisfied. It's so quick and easy to make. I also have yeast for 'standard' bread, but when you want something to fill you now, the pan bread can't be beaten.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 21 January 2018 at 11:24PM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    lol meg :D

money I am getting fed up with supermarkets only supplying those awful plastic bags for fruit and veg. They should be supplying paper bags by now. I could put fruit etc loose in the trolley but I sometimes see children standing in them with goodness knows whatever on their shoes

There are several ways emerging currently to push supermarkets harder and faster than they otherwise would on this:
    - parcel up their unwanted packaging and send it back to them at a Freepost Customer Services address (certainly Tesco has one - in Dundee)
    - several of the others also have Freepost Customer Services addresses and these are starting to get publicised
    - handing them back their packaging at the supermarket
    - boycotting them until they stop this and buying our food elsewhere
    - firms are starting to go back to traditional glass milk bottles (Daioni seems to be the first of the bigger ones afaik - and are currently in process of it).

cwtch seems to be a bit more catch-all meaning (as far as I can make out) to personal level cuddling up....more of a "cosy up - as in somewhere snug". But what do I know - I don't speak Welsh LOL? Don't think I need concern myself that I've found some people have been addressing me as "cariad" recently (ie dear/darling and I'm taking it as the equivalent of our West Country terms like "my lover/my treasure/my dear/my 'ansome". It don't bother I - though I speak very standard English LOL.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: Best confess, my name is Caronc and I love sardines, pilchards and marmite. Suspect I may be beyond help:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I'm with you on those

If I take breakfast it's toast and marmite, and non work days lunch is either sardines on toast ( plain ones mashed with a bit of vinegar) or tinned kippers

The tinned kippers are so much nicer then fresh or vac packed one, no bones

I also love smoked mackerel

Cheap and cheerful way of eating oily fish regularly
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd not mind trying all those tinned fish if there were a table laid out with a gazillion ritz crackers and a little bit on top of each one .... but I'd never wish to commit to trying/buying a whole can, not knowing what was inside or what it tasted like.

If you have a tin in your hand and are about to open it you've already decided what you're eating. Once it's opened you're committed and have to eat it as you've everything else lined up to go with it. It's a major commitment and investment in decision-making to get to that point.

The disappointment of excitedly making tea, tasting it and thinking "this is rank" and having to either go without food, or force yourself to eat it all, or completely choose/start again with a new meal is just too much. Better the devil you know and all that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I never knew there were tinned kippers, can they be cooked like kippers? If so then they will be bought in

Haven`t got any idea for today, breakfast was as usual and a healthy start, last meal soup with a soaked piece if ciabatta. Stomach likes that, I have slept a full 8 hours on that soup as last meal at 5.30. Am enjoying sleeping all the way through

Now lunch?? mmm Has to be something from the freezer, no idea and don`t want meat as I ate my weeks fill in two days at the weekend

I just found a pack of jus rol cinnamon swirls in the fridge. Oad but they will be fine to bake and I will freeze them as grandchildren are staying 1 night beginning of feb. I am planning ahead for that, tbh don`t want to use my carefully portioned and very expensive grass fed meat but I do want to use my stores and am thinking a sausagemeat plait with veg for one meal and baked potato wedges (LO) with beans as a light meal before they leave next day. It is so tempting to drive out and get the fish fingers and chips that children love but I am not doing that, their mum is also staying and I am child minding while she works nearby. One child is a fussy eater

PN, sardines on a pizza are lovely and they are broken up so they don`t look like fish. So much goodness in a tin and so cheap
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    I had lovely evening with the family and the food worked well despite the beef (even though we all like it on the rare side) taking longer to cook than I thought. Still it was worth waiting for:). A few wines were had but thankfully I've no "sticky" head this morning.
    I'm back to CFO today as my son heads back after he has been to the dentist. There's a few LOs but nothing that wouldn't get used up and I suspect my son will take some with him;).
    I'm not sure what I'm having food wise today, will decide once I've got the place back into some sort order and I must do a meal plan as I am finding it helpful.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback