We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

1…24172418241924212423

Comments

  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,873 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper

    Hope you are recovered Wednesday.

    Chilly start but blue sky & sunshine, had to get watering again, trying to get the very last outside tomatoes ripened off.

    Lunch, LO roast chicken & stuffing sandwich

    Dinner, last of the LO roast chicken & stuffing, with HM potato salad & mixed green salad,,including some HG toms

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,986 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Good morning everyone,

    Glad you have recovered Wednesday.

    Another grey, cool and showery one here.

    Planned catch up ended up not happening, so we'll finalise things for our weekend via WhatsApp instead.

    For dinner I used some of the LO rice mix to make a sort of kedgeree with the addition of pollock, peas and a boiled egg. Very tasty it was too and there's still a bit of mix LO for lunch.

    Breaded salmon chunks for dinner in either bagels or baquette or as the basis of a katsu type curry. We'll see what we fancy later.

  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 9,158 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I’m on the train to London to meet someone for lunch so I only had a yoghurt. I wasn’t sure how warm it was today so I wore leggings and boots.

  • Seem to have been MIA for a couple of days, just busy really but not much CFOing either. Back to it yesterday with cumin roasted carrot, lentil and feta salad for lunch. Made chorizo, courgette and new potato traybake with chimichurri last night 😋

    Lovely sunny day here so load of towels washed and out on the line. I've also sorted rubbish and recycling, and done a grocery shop. Just made a salad with LO bits from last night.

    Looking forward to strictly tonight, will have a prawn and veg thai red curry with noodles to eat. There's rose in the fridge 😉

  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 2,259 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    I hope those who've been poorly or injured are on the mend ((hugs))

    Like JKS I haven't been doing very much cooking either, there’s been a bit of pressure to get bowling matches played before the end of the outdoor season so I’ve been eating out of the freezer most of this week. Thank goodness for my stash of hm soup 😁

    Yesterday in order to use up some veg and eggs I made a frittata for lunch then had chunky fish fingers, oven chips and peas for an easy dinner.

    Pear and blue cheese salad for lunch today and tonight a favourite Delia recipe of pork belly strips in barbeque sauce, with brown rice and a crunchy salad of ss peas and baby corn.

    2026 Grocery Spends
    Sept = £97.41
    Aug £66.17, July £110.59, June £92.28, May £71.67, Apr £119.44, Mar £ 104.90, Feb £90.58, Jan £74.05
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 9,158 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    It was more warm than I thought so probably should have worn sandals instead of boots. I had lunch at a Swedish restaurant and I had “meatballs”, mash, gravy and pickles with a glass of OJ. Very tasty!

    I wasn’t all that hungry after lunch so I just had cheese and crackers now.

  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 6,656 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    Bookshop day and it was busy without being manic, we sold loads of books 🙂 I think the nice day brought people out, it was still tee shirt weather.

    Unexpected detour on the way home as the road about four miles from Petworth was closed due to a accident, I ended up turning around and going back to Petworth town and then once I got a signal using google maps. I must work out alternative routes just in case, I use to know them but it's been years maybe decades since I used them. Google maps took me the scenic route home not good with the current price of petrol and once I checked a paper map way out of my way!

    Lunch a repeat of yesterday, salmon pasta salad. I've still not got much of an appetite so just scrambled egg and smoked salmon for dinner.

    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 15,873 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Homepage Hero Name Dropper

    Dull but mild start, rain is on the way, but I think it's more nuisance, showery, rain than the proper water the garden stuff

    Managed to take advantage of yesterdays sun & did a spot of gardening, including picking more apples and tomatoes, some not quite ripe but will leave to ripen indoors. Some apples had bird pecks, so I stewed those up rather than leave to rot

    Lunch, TBD, I think I've a couple of veggie sausages lurking in the freezer, if I find them, they are lunch

    Dinner, with the rain due, old fashioned comforting pie & mash. I splashed out on the Waitrose shop and bought a, probably over priced, Pieminister steak & kidney. Time will tell if it's worth it or not. With HM mash, fresh carrots & some other frozen veg

    Member of "Rubbish at Radishes" club
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,986 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper

    Good afternoon everyone,

    Grey, chilly and absolutely tipping it down here.

    Scrambled eggs for lunch and there's Spanish style veg, lentil, butterbean and chorizo soup defrosting for dinner. It will a soupy day as I want to get a pot of veggie lentil underway which will be part of my food contribution next weekend and make a batch of carrot and coriander for lunches this week.

  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 2,259 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker

    Wet and windy here, there was a beautiful full moon last night so we have a high tide with impressive waves rushing ashore too.

    Fruit bowl pears are perfectly ripe so I'll use them up in another salad with blue cheese for lunch.

    I have peppers that are on the edge of being past their best so I’ve sliced and frozen a couple and will use the others in a prawn and pepper pasta dish tonight.

    2026 Grocery Spends
    Sept = £97.41
    Aug £66.17, July £110.59, June £92.28, May £71.67, Apr £119.44, Mar £ 104.90, Feb £90.58, Jan £74.05
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.