PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've just had some squeezed pink grapefruit juice so far. I'm going to have baked beans on toast after my bath.:)
    Farway wrote: »

Blimey, it's nice& sunny here but not sitting in garden weather
    I opted for the conservatory, which was warmer than my lounge, sun is at back AM, front PM. Had my lunch of the last bacon / leek & Gruyere tartlette in there

I was quite surprised as my face and chest got a little pink from sitting out in the garden yesterday. The sun was really warm.

I mean, I wasn't topless, just my chest above my top.:rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 March 2018 at 9:57AM
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I want to make a shepherds pie...
    Ah, that reminded me....I'd intended to make a beef & bean chilli!

I'll get that on now.

Just beef mince, onion, tin of beans and a tin of whatever else I can find in the cupboard that's bean-like .... and a chilli and some chilli spices.

EDIT: Done, it's on. Found butterbeans so that'll do.

Beef, onion, baked beans, butter beans, onion (last one/bit small), mashed carrots, whole red chilli, splash of water, spices.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Another dull & damp day here but thankfully drier (so far) than yesterday.
    Will need to get wrapped up and get compost sorted out for the bedding plants.
    I had the usual toast & fruit for breakfast and lunch will be a salad sarnie. I have liver & bacon defrosted for tonight.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had a huge salad for lunch, romaine lettuce, red onion, cucumber, tomatoes and avocado as well as two leftover jacket potatoes from yesterday.:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,348 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 22 March 2018 at 4:26PM
    Options
    Yesterday meals turned into a calorie laden carb fest, after the cold LO pizza dinner, it was toast + last of the choc spread, then later greedy guts ate last of the L's bran flakes for late supper. :o

Just pot of tea & HM yoghurt + honey for breakfast, trying to make amends for yesterday's calorie overdose

Bit dull but mooching completed, only YS was in 4sda, Xmas kid's chocs, down to 25p. Still in date for a few months, by now my grandchildren are used to RFQS YS items at Granddad's. Training them in MSE ways early in life

Sun came out and lunch of tinned sardines in tom sauce on toast was scoffed in the conservatory. My stale loaf is slowly going down.

Caron, you jogged my mind, must get a bag of compost when in L's tomorrow. Not warm enough yet but nearly time for me to sow the runners in loo roll middles.

Dinner I had hoped to be a L's YS chilli con carne frozen a while back, but I forgot to take it out to defrost.:(

Found a couple of frozen YS bangers, now defrosting, so tonight's dinner is bangers, frozen chips and two of the well past use by eggs. Only one left after that
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I cooked that chilli, served a portion with chips for lunch and when I decanted the rest into a jug for the fridge there was a bit left over, so I ate that bit too :)

I weighed what I ate.... 300g for the first portion (almost a mug full).... and the 2nd "last bits at the bottom" portion was 190g.

Portions are funny aren't they ... it's so easy to spoon two out and fool yourself it's one. But then portion sizes/weights are variable, depending on how you feel, how hungry you are, what else will be on the plate and what else you ate or will eat today. There's really no "one size fits" answer.

Overall it was a good pot of nosh because it had five different thingies in it that count towards that 5-a-day thingy.
  • Terence05
    Options
    I would love some heart warming recipe ideas for a single old man har har. I mostly find myself having tinned soup or jacket potatos as they are simple and easy.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    What sort of foods do you like Terence?
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Terence05 wrote: »
    I would love some heart warming recipe ideas for a single old man har har. I mostly find myself having tinned soup or jacket potatos as they are simple and easy.

Welcome.

Here we mostly natter about what we're eating, which others read - and that then sparks off in them "the next big/great idea".

There are some who are "healthy eaters" using posh nosh - and those like me who eat far too many burgers, fish finger sandwiches and crumpets topped with random stuff :)

Over time .... keep reading and you'll be reminded of something great you forgot all about ... or even read something new that sounds exciting :)

I've just made a chilli today in my 3.5L slow cooker... with some mince and random bits and bobs in the cupboards .... but I really fancy a giant yorkshire pudding filled with some "dinner and gravy" soon....

Singles rarely do "recipes" because other people's recipes contain ingredients we never have/buy, which'd leave too many leftovers.... but we all like a good scoff and know how to make the most of our scoffing opportunities without leaving a wake of leftovers behind us.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone
    Welcome to CFO Terence, what sort of food do you enjoy? :)

144 baby bedding plants are all potted on and hopefully will thrive. It's such a fiddly job so I'm glad to get it done (well until the next lot arrive). I do like my summer flowers though so worth it:D. Apart from that and putting away a grocery order I've not got much done as the side effects from the increased meds have really kicked in today, hopefully they'll settle down before Easter.

Food has been as planned but I must get another meal plan done to take me to next Thursday when the family begin to arrive.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure