PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have one already MTSTM from my various hospital visits so it it just needs updating:)

Don't think I'm going to get my trundle it's now absolutely tipping it down :mad:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One of the ingredients is "red pepper flakes" (half teaspoon worth for 2 portions). These "red pepper flakes" crop up in quite a few recipes and I still haven't quite figured it out.
    I've got something like that, pepper flakes. Rather than being a fine powder of pepper, they are larger "flakes", very fine and small pieces. I know they weren't expensive as I've got some :)

Breakfast this morning was half a bread roll (just the lid part), topped with baked beans (already open) and scrambled eggs (as I have eggs). So that's the end of those bread rolls I inadvertently allowed to defrost.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been cycling, still cold out but was lovely. Have put the bin out, changed, tidied a few things back to garage and lunch is on, rather the burger is cooking in a frying pan with a lid on top, just got to stir fry the veg. The sun is out although there are plenty of lurking clouds but I am expecting full sun later. Oh I love this, best time of day for me, lunch and recreation whatever that might be, sitting with the sun on my knees. No radio or babble
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got something like that, pepper flakes. Rather than being a fine powder of pepper, they are larger "flakes", very fine and small pieces. I know they weren't expensive as I've got some :)
    I like those little 'birds eye' chillies but there isn't much shopping choice locally. One of my best buys ever was some dried chillies (from a certain well known online retailer.). They are good used whole in stews, curries etc but sometimes I just crumble a bit up. I think my stock of chillies may well outlast me! :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    ....sitting with the sun on my knees....

I don't get that at my house.... my room is east facing, so it gets the sunrise and that's your lot, then it moves past the neighbours' houses and you're done.... and the setting sun never gets seen as that's behind other buildings. Sitting here, if I specifically look out of the window I can see it's sunny out there, but it's not sunny in here, ever.

It's not that I didn't want that ... but you can only have one of the houses available right the moment you're desperately looking :)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I had peanut butter on GF toast for breakfast and HM tomato soup for lunch with a lemon Nakd bar and 2 tangerines afterwards.

I've just been sitting in the garden in the sunshine! :cool: I was trying to read but then my dog jumped up on my lap so I just sat there with him getting some vitamin D.

It's absolutely lovely after the horrible cold weather.
    caronc wrote: »
    Wednesday - at least you know it is "only" mice and with your pets hopefully they are only in the attic!

Yes, exactly.:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,270 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Up earlyish, with time for a pot of tea, porridge, HM Yogurt and "getting fed up with it now" mock maple syrup

A lovely Spring day, decided to mooch in Sainsbob's today, not been in there for a bit and wanted to try their frozen chips, and broad beans, I've been told they are the tastiest, but not the cheapest. Plus I had a coupon for a free tin of pilchards

Kittie, good thought about Guernsey milk, may try that one day. By coincidence in Sainsbob's I bought some live Greek yoghurt, all sorts in it including Bulgarian, which I think you mentioned. I'm going to try it as a starter for my next batch
    I've just been sitting in the garden in the sunshine! :cool: I was trying to read but then my dog jumped up on my lap so I just sat there with him getting some vitamin D.

Blimey, it's nice& sunny here but not sitting in garden weather
    I opted for the conservatory, which was warmer than my lounge, sun is at back AM, front PM. Had my lunch of the last bacon / leek & Gruyere tartlette in there

Dinner will be the other half of yesterday's pizza, cold. Not sure if I'll have it with anything or just as is. I've got half a stale loaf for emergency toast & marmalade if required later
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    There has been absolutely no sunshine here today, in fact it's now almost dark. It is blinking cold as well:(

MTSTM - if the recipes are American it may well be sweet (bell) red pepper flakes they are referring to rather than chilli flakes. You can get them on Amazon etc.

Pouring or not tomorrow I'll need to venture into the garden for compost. I had ordered a load of bedding plug plants which were due by the end of April. Part of my order arrived about an hour ago so I have 144 of the babies needing potted up:eek:.

Tonight's plans for liver & bacon casserole are deferred until tomorrow as the casserole is still a frozen lump. I don't want to defrost it in the microwave or heat from frozen as I think it toughens the liver. I'm not sure what to have instead possibly cumberland sausage and a baked spud with roasted veg but I'll decide when I'm ready to prep it. :)
  • caronc
    Options
    I opened my hall door to nip to the loo and next door's cat strolled through. I've not had the back door open since lunchtime:eek:, suspect he has been having a lovely snooze on my bed:rotfl::rotfl:

Cumberland sausage and roast veg it's going to be as CBA thinking about making anything else:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 March 2018 at 8:34AM
    Options
    I do love the fact that I have gone back to yogurt to top my breakfast, used to have that but got out the habit. It makes breakfast, low fat hm granola/hemp/berries/walnuts, feel like a very satisfying pudding. Obviously then I will not be getting through milk fast enough but I do know that frozen milk is good so will be freezing it in ice cube trays since I only have milk in my morning tea. I need to find my ice cube trays, I have some with larger spaces, somewhere

Farway, I used semi milk for my yogurt, it is not rich and creamy, I could have added some powdered milk but would rather use proper good guernsey milk, which is what I used to use. Anyway it will fill me for longer and will be lovely on top of crumbles. Btw the crumbles are mostly fruit, with just 2 tbs of unsweet crumble on top. Making 4 in cups was good, it made sure I ate the fruit each day and was filling

I have an egg out for mid morning and a banana in an hour. Lunch? I am very much liking the kale and garlic stir fry, so will make the same with added fennel and spinach and some soya beans for protein. If I get bloating then will know it is the soya. Having a veg juice ensures I get my fill of veg for the day, yes I am making it, carrot/beetroot/lemon/ginger/celery. Snacks to pick at, pistacheos, black chocolate, one slice of cake

I want to make a shepherds pie, I have 400g of good organic lamb mince but it is expensive and I need to stretch it so will add a whole tin of pinto beans, which should arrive today or tomorrow. I will top with sweet potato mash and porton to freeze. I think I will cook in a larger enamel dish and portion when cooked, probably tomorrow. Last snacky meal, oatcakes and scrapes of peanut butter, then 12-13 hours with no food, just water and a very small strong chamomile before bed

Looks like insipid cloudy weather the rest of the week and I am not wanting to put any heaters on, worked out that the next monthly bill will be much higher than normal
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback