Cooking for one (Mark Three)

edited 13 January 2018 at 9:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
14.2K replies 904.6K views

Replies

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Car serviced and MOT today although it had done very little mileage this year 😐  Not too bad just one new tyre which I was expecting and a rear wiper. They came and picked it up at 8am, it was worth the £10 it cost me for them to do that especially as the garage is the other side of town and was easier than begging a lift.

I had booked a Asda delivery for next Thursday but realised last night the only fresh fruit in the house was a apple, a orange and a lemon and frozen pomegranate seeds and the veg drawer was down to a couple of carrots and 2 types of cabbage.  I went out to W8itrose at 7pm for a change, it was lovely and quiet, I used their click and checkout scanner which did have the advantage of making me put back some of my more expensive choices like the half leg of lamb and steak  :s I did take advantage of their 33% off offers on a small beef joint and salmon. A few YS on F&V but only 50ps off but it was stuff I was going to buy anyway and £2.50 for 500g of Aberdeen Angus mince from the meat counter 🙂 More money spent than my delivery would have been 🙄but it's only the third visit in a year and sadly I enjoyed the trundle around, I did think of you Farway when I saw  their 33% off gammon 🙂.  I must remember to cancel the delivery or the fridge will be a bit crowded 😁

lunch was a egg and cheese salad using the odds and sod salad bits from the fridge. I wasn't hungry once I got back from shopping tonight so haven't eaten any dinner, I may have a bowl of cereal before bed if I feel peckish 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • edited 6 March at 11:18AM
    FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 6 March at 11:18AM
    Brambling, Ahh, the 1/3 rd off W8rose gammon, I doubt I'll see that again, even more so as there's never any W'rose delivery slots round here now and a Chichester visit is who knows when in these CV times?
    I'm beginning to wonder about my farmers local free range meat delivery options as well, they have just introduced a "super bargain" monthly fee, sort of prepaid delivery option which is no use CFO requiring just a couple of deliveries a year.
    Used to be free delivery over £XXX but I suspect it is set price delivery now, time will tell, I'm still munching my way through the XCFO stuff
    Talking of which I've taken a FR lamb steak out to defrost for dinner

Lunch, tinned pork type meat & pickle sarnie
    I was fuming this morning, found my new jar of Branston ready for lunchtime and found the anti tamper button on the lid had popped up:rage:
    I always checked in store but not for delivery. Had to bin it as the whole point of anti tamper is just that.
    I had to bin it because I just can't be sure these days that someone hasn't tampered with it, which was why the pop up buttons were introduced a few years back

Dinner, the defrosting FR lamb, grilled, with boiled new spuds, steamed broccoli, cabbage & carrots, & maybe some frozen green beans?

• justkeepswimmimgjustkeepswimmimg Forumite
    79 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    Very different weekend, weather wise, here. Have just briefly ventured out to the postbox but now safely back on the sofa with James Martin 😉

Lunch yesterday was roasted pepper and tomato soup (decided it was time to use one of the emergency tins I bought just before lockdown 1) with cheese on toast. Not usually a fan of tinned soup but this was really quite good. Did gnocchi in a bacon, broccoli and Stilton sauce last night, was yummy 😋 
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone, 
    I'd email the SM Farway and let them know that the button had popped, could be a defective batch.
    Yes I've noticed a few of the online retailers I use have stopped free delivery, delivery on my last order was £3.99 which I felt was reasonable.
    I got most of the meat sorted out yesterday, just two chooks to joint today. There a small gammon joint in the fridge to slow cook then glaze and roast tomorrow.
    Zooming again this evening with the family to "share" a meal. We're having HM jerk chicken burgers and my son has a batch of dough proving to make some HM sub rolls.

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening all 

another quiet day, just a bit of gardening and tidying indoors. I caught up on some reading and TV late afternoon.  As I'm now allowed to (just :) ) I've booked my CV vaccines this morning 16th March and 1st June, as I used the NHS online booking it's at the hospital in the next town and not here, if I waited for my 'invite' I could get it at the largest Dr surgery in town but it's only 7 miles away and the car will appreciate the trip down the dual carriageway and at least it's all booked  :D

Lunch was jacket potato with tuna Mayo. I fried the vension haunt steak I took out the freezer for yesterday and had it sliced over a vegetable stir fried rice with a 'Chinese' style sauce.  The trip to the SM last night gave me a good selection of vegetables 😋
    79 posts
    Snap, Brambling - jacket potato with tuna mayo for lunch here too 😀 oh, snap on a quiet day too, although I did have the excitement of a bit of ironing...

Prawn and cherry tomato spaghetti, served with salad and garlic bread, tonight 
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good you've got your CV jabs booked Brambling, seems to be running smoothly doesn't it? Round here a lot have been saying just how cheerful the centres are, a lot are volunteers and are "happy to help", like Asda colleagues ;) , plus well organised
    I'm still waiting for second jab booking but not worried because so far it's been well organised & no reason to think it won't happen

Hard overnight frost but nothing planned anyway except a bit of reading / watch TV & mooch about on line

Meals are going to be very CBA today
    Lunch I intend opening a tin of Asda own P & H soup, never tried that one, but can't ever see me making P & H soup anytime soon and just fancied some as i was clicking away the other week
    Dinner, maybe mushroom omelette + cheesy chips + beans

• caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    I've had a very lazy start to the day but have been busy for the past hour or so cleaning up the kitchen and doing some laundry. If it stays dry (doubtful) I might get a bit done in the garden this afternoon. I'm just having a quick cuppa before doing some prep for dinner. The gammon will be slow cooked for a few hours so I can get stock for soup then I'm going to roast it glazed with mustard, dark brown sugar and pineapple . My son has requested cauli cheese as a side and as the oven will be on I'll make roast spuds. With some steamed green beans and carrots it should be tasty.
    LO jerk chicken for lunch with salad in the last HM roll for lunch. I have to say the rolls my son made yesterday were his best ones so far shame he only made a 1/2 batch! 

79 posts
    Lunch was a piece of cake while out on a lovely walk 😉, was another beautiful day. 

Pork shoulder steak in cider and creme fraiche sauce tonight, served with mash and green beans. Plenty of leftovers...

Just need to wash the pans then I can settle down to McDonald and Dobbs 😀
  • edited 7 March at 9:11PM
    BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 March at 9:11PM
    It seems us 56-59s crashed the nhs online booking this morning, I'm glad I did it yesterday 🙂 

i borrowed my sister's muscles today 😁 to help move three items from the lounge to the garage which is in a block behind the garden, once things open up again I'll get a charity to collect them.  I think I owe her lunch now 🙂 we won't talk about lurking dust bunnies  :smile:

She didn't leave until after 1pm so lunch was a quick tuna Mayo salad using up the rest of the tuna from yesterday lunch.  Dinner was roast beef, I brought a small joint 1/3 off in W8itrose on Friday and feeling a little CBA I took root veg mash and braised red cabbage with cranberries from the freezer with some HM runner beans, rather than roast potatoes I did roast parsnip using the last small bendy one I found under the cabbage 

JKS - I haven't made pork in cider for years, I use to have a recipe for Normandy pork I used a lot, I wonder where that's gone 🤔