PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Somehow I've woken up with a sore left hoof, I can't think how that was caused, it's not like I've been out running / cycling etc. Most annoying nagging ache when I move it
    Just have to rest it more than usual now, thanks for memory jog JKS, I've recorded McD & D  so no problem resting the foot for today

Plenty of space in the fridge now the mushrooms & surplus eggs went in last night's omelette, must be nearly time for another shop
    Spot of "gardening " today, seed sowing indoors because I discovered an old [2014] pack of sweetcorn seeds so I'll try them this year and reduce the Runners

I've just taken a pre pack loaf out of the Panny, looks nice & should be cool enough for lunch time sarnie
    Maybe last of the tinned chopped pork [fake Spam] & pickle
    Dinner is frozen pizza time, probably Asda mixed veg which will be new one to me, sounds a bit healthier than bog standard, five a day etc

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    Hope your "hoof" isn't too sore Farway.
    Oh pork in cider, I used to make that or chicken & bacon in cider many moons ago not sure why I stopped as it's so tasty. One to to revisit at some point I think.
    Dull and wet here though not too cold just miserable, I'll not be doing any gardening today though might have an online noodle at bedding plants.
    A pan of ham, veg and lentil soup is in the pressure cooker and will be ready for lunch.  :) Yesterday's ham joint was gorgeous one of the best I've had. I was recommended a new  butcher to try by a friend and so far I've been really impressed with their stuff though they offer a fairly limited range online.  Although it was a small piece it didn't shrink and their was minimal waste yielding enough for two decent dinners, LOs for a couple of sarnies and good sized chunk to chop through the soup. It was definitely value for money and cost the same as the standard SM ones.
    Tandoori spiced chicken legs, with aubergine curry, rice and HM flat breads/naans for dinner this evening. 
  • justkeepswimmimg
    Options
    It was very definitely pork in cider rather than Normandy pork, it was literally an onion, the pork and the cider with a blob of creme fraiche stirred in at the end. I used to make it a lot and it was a bottle of cider that came in a case of wine that inspired me this time. Might try the chicken and bacon version another time, never tried that.

Not a bad day here, managed a short walk at the end of the day and although there was a chill in the air, the sun was out, really nice to be out in 🌞

Lunch was scrambled eggs and mushrooms on toast. Spinach, pepper and Stilton puff pastry tart with salad tonight. Felt like a spring like meal 😊

Hope you enjoyed McD & D, Farway - I find it very good Sunday evening watching.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I checked my old hand written recipe book which is probably 30 years old and it is called Normandy pork chop and was probably copied from a magazine, it's basically what you said JKS but with sliced apple which I used to leave out. I may have to add pork chop and dry cider to my shopping list soon 🤔 although I don't need to add anything to my freezers, any LO cider could be utilised as a cider cake which I also haven't made for years but is rather nice  :D

I hope your foot is better Farway, I've been hobbling on a aching knee today but that's just normal flare up of my joints 😐 it feels like it needs a good click to right it's self but at least it's just the one knee 🙂

I've been watching JO I thought they were repeats but don't remember watching this one, I liked the look of his gratin gnocchi but I'm sure the pan would be a !!!!!! to clean, the fillet of pork also looked good and I do have both pork fillet and gnocchi I the freezer.  Now I'm watching masterchef so definitely a cookery watching night 

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • justkeepswimmimg
    Options
    I drank my leftover cider....😗
  • Brambling
    Options
    I drank my leftover cider....😗
     It wouldn't be very MSE if you had wasted it  :D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    All this Normandy pork chop talk clicked in my brain, I remember that years ago, must have been one of those 60 /70 /80s sort of recipes, I distinctly remember the sliced apple on top, probably about the time we were bunging slices of pineapple onto grilled gammon steaks

Nice sunny day but due to go downhill tomorrow so I'll enjoy it while it's here, like JKS I think a spring like meal may be ideal for today
    Lunch probably cheese & sliced raw onion sarnie
    Dinner, defrost a salmon fillet and have fried in butter / EVO with salad & boiled "new" potatoes

With forecast of rotten weather I think I'll also defrost some diced steak out for a casserole or similar tomorrow
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone, 
    I think my recipe came from the Yorkshire TV Farmhouse Cookery (?) book from the 70s/80s which my Mum had (and is probably lurking here somewhere after clearing out my Dad's flat) and in my ancient note book is called "Somerset Casserole" though I'm not sure that is what it would have been in the book. The pork version uses thin chops or steaks, sliced apples  onions, sliced spuds, carrots and cider layered like a hot pot. The chicken and bacon version replaces the pork with chicken thighs and diced bacon and the apples with mushrooms. The spare cider was always the cook's perk!  :)
    Brambling, the gnocchi gratin/pork fillet is on my "to make" list, I think I do remember seeing it in the programmes last year but I'm not 100% sure. I haven't been watching them this time so don't know if they differ.
    Dull and dreary here today so far but dry thankfully as last night's curry (which was delicious) was lingering this morning so at least I could give the place a good airing. It's supposed to get wet and wild as the day goes on.
    HM lentil soup for lunch and tonight it's JO's broccoli and blue cheese risotto from 7 ways. We've made this one before and thoroughly enjoyed it so fingers crossed tonight's effort is a good. 

• Brambling
    Options
    I think the JO series is a repeat Caronc but I missed this one

Dull and dreary here and that's not the weather   :# typical ground hog day again so just ticking along biting my tongue to avoid snapping at a bossy colleague 🙄 

lunch was some HM veg soup from the freezer, it was just a bog standard end of week, what needs using up soup and very green, tasty but green so had to be good for me  :smiley:

dinner was the last of the roast beef with salad and new potatoes, I picked up some charred artichoke hearts in W8itrose on Friday so finished those off as well
  • justkeepswimmimg
    Options
    Oh no, Farway - pineapple should never accompany gammon, fried egg on mine please 😉

I was also very taken with the JO pork fillet and gnocchi gratin recipe. Looks like one to save for an unspecified date at some point in the future when I’m not CFO...

Lovely day here, even got some washing line-dried - why is that such a pleasure?

Despite the weather, very un-spring-like meals today - quiche and baked beans for lunch and leftover Normandy pork/Somerset casserole, mash and green beans tonight.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback