Cooking for one (Mark Three)

edited 13 January 2018 at 9:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
14.2K replies 904.6K views

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dentist's first thing for a check up, passed OK so all's well there until December, and goodness knows where we'll be Covid wise then so not something for me to even think about for now

Made inroads into the LO chicken yesterday, now only a bit left which I'll use in a PB baguette for lunch today
    Dinner, spoilt for choice but I have smoked salmon trimmings from last week's delivery and getting perilously close to Use By so I have a ciabatta in the Panny, trying a herby one this time, all being well it's smoked salmon herby ciabatta sarnies for dinner, no doubt I'll pop something in the sarnie, like salad bits

• caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    Yes the frickadellar were really good Brambling much better than the sum of their parts, definitely on the make again list and easily scaled for CFO. I didn't make the sauce as my son is less keen on mustardy ones but used a lurking pack of OOD IKEA meatball sauce which worked well. It was BBE Dec 2018 but perfectly fine. We had them with mash, carrots, green beans and sugar snaps as that was what I had in the veg drawer. 
    I've Unforgotten on record JKS after thoroughly enjoying the previous ones. We are watching "To the Lake" on Netflix just now, quiet good if you go with the subtitles rather than appalling dubbing! I've yet to catch up on Masterchef but have it on record.
    Domestics for me today again, the boiler folk are coming tomorrow and I want the place to be spick and span in case they need a look about. I'm just having a quick cuppa before tackling the dusting. 
    Last of the HM soup for lunch today and this evening it's a bung in peri, peri chicken & veg tray bake.

• justkeepswimmimgjustkeepswimmimg Forumite
    79 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    I think Nicola Walker is brilliant, caronc. I’m no good with subtitles and gave up on The Woods because the dubbing was terrible (I thought the story was too slow as well).

Poached eggs and mushrooms on toast for lunch today, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Very easy option of reheated vegetable risotto (leftovers from the freezer of course) tonight. I crisped up the last bit of chorizo and sprinkled over the top...nom nom 😋

Another zoom social tonight, that’s two in two nights! Very much looking forward to actual meet ups soon...
  • BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I must check with my dentist as I've had a hygienist appointment last August but haven't had a check up since January2020 I'm not sure what their policy is at the moment but would hate to lose my NHS status  

I also have Forgotten recorded as I enjoyed the previous series, masterchef will be watched later after landscape artist of the year. I don't mind subtitles if I'm not tired especially the Scandi dramas but there are some good police dramas from other parts of Europe as well.

I was joined by his lordship on my zoom call this evening, looking all cute and cuddly until the devil got in him (probably because I was ignoring him) and he bit me 😬

I went out for milk after my call just before 8 and was surprised how foggy it was.  

Lunch was more of my artichoke soup with the last of the ham hock crumbled in.  Dinner was a HM lasagna from the freezer with a little salad.  It was a summer lasagna in such as it had a lot of grated courgette hidden in the meat  :D
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bit dull & damp but sun's been spotted so fingers crossed
    Brambling, NHS dentist. I read that the Government offered dentists extra dosh to get patients through PDQ after last year, £XX per patient seen up to this April I think it was
    Dentist are opting to clear check ups first because it's same bonus for a 10 minute check up as for two hours of remedial work, who ever would've thought they'd do that ;) ?
    Mine contacted me to say I was overdue & they were starting up again, worth a call I'd say

It's use up meals today
    Lunch, cream cheese & last of the use by smoked salmon trimmings sarnie
    Dinner, I've LO roast spuds + some LO beaked beans, depending on how many there are I may try heating spuds up in AF and having them as chip substitute with the beans & whatever, maybe a mushroom omelette as I have plenty of both?
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone, 
    I don't mind subtitles JKS, in fact as my hearing can be patchy at times due to tinnitus I sometimes prefer them. 
    Cold here today and it's just started pouring.
    Boiler grant chap has been to do the eligibility survey and I qualify   :)
    I've not much planned for today though a butcher's order is due to arrive this afternoon so that will need sorting out for the freezer. Apart from the usual daily chores I've done all the cleaning I'm going to do this week so I fancy a lazyish day though I really should do a spot of ironing. I don't think I've had the board up since the Autumn! 
    Easy meal tonight - Jamie Oliver's Masala Eggs and flatbreads from his "Comfort Food" book. It's more of brunch dish rather than main meal but it hopefully means I'll have space for Christmas pud afterwards. :yum  I bought a small one for Christmas that never got used. 

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Farway, I'll try and remember to call them tomorrow, it doesn't say on their website it just says their online booking is closed 

great news re the boiler Caronc 🙂 I hope you enjoyed your Xmas pud

lunch was another mug of soup 🙂 I think I'm all artichoke souped out now with some cheese and crackers.  Dinner was a vegetable risotto with a pan fried salmon fillet on top and broccoli 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • justkeepswimmimgjustkeepswimmimg Forumite
    79 posts
    10 Posts First Anniversary
    The problem with subtitles is you have to concentrate...I’m terrible for multitasking whilst watching tv 😉

Quiche and baked beans for lunch. Made Nigella’s spaghetti with spicy mushrooms tonight. Served with tender stem broccoli to make sure I had something green. Did have a square of decent chocolate with my cuppa though...
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Out in the sun earlier, just to collect my prescription but took the opportunity to pop into Costcutter Premier Store for top up milk etc and found tonight's diner as well
    YS MFO chicken Korma, £1.29, I've had them before, OK for that price but not full price £2.60ish

Lunch last of the delivery C & O pasties
    Dinner, as mentioned
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    Dull and very chilly here today. The Christmas pud is still in the cupboard, the masala eggs were more than enough, very rich and filling. A tasty though somewhat more faffy take on scrambled eggs and toast but one I'd definitely make again and easily scaled for CFO.
    Tesco has been and the groceries sanitised and stashed. I'm not sure the wiping things down with Milton is strictly needed but it makes me feel more COVID secure so for my peace of mind worth doing. Butcher's order was didn't arrive until late afternoon so apart from the stuff that could go straight in the freezer is sitting in the fridge needing portioned and vac packed. In are two chooks which I'll break down into component parts before freezing. I also got some beef bones for stock,  they were massive too big for my SC or widest pot so my son was in full "serial killer mode" sawing them up lol to more manageable chunks.  :D I did suggest I could slow cook them in the oven as they were but he was for having none of it lol!
    Cheese and ham toastie for lunch and something easy from the freezer for dinner. I'm video calling with some pals early evening so will want something quick when that's over.