PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sunny, but very very windy here today .
    Am making leek n potato soup , and a stir fry, mushroom n veg creation for later .
    Hope You're all ok x
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • justkeepswimmimg
    Options
    Windy here too, and the sun gave up late morning. Still haven’t managed fresh air but did do a workout before starting my working day 😇

Another busy day where I was glad of lazy easy CFO meals...goats cheese and pesto filled pasta (ready made) with sun dried tomatoes, leftover chicken and baby sweetcorn for lunch. Egg fried rice with more of the chicken and various bits of fridge veg tonight. Bored of chicken now so remaining two portions gone in the freezer 😂
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You can't beat proper bacon Farway  :) I don't mind spending extra at the farm shop for it  :)

lovely day weather wise, first day in ages where it was bright and sunny and when I pottered in the garden lunchtime it was quite mild especially for Feb.  I had a small pack of seeds sent by one of my sisters today, no covering letter just a random package 🤔 she buys a garden magazine which has free seeds. I won't use all of them but will offer to my other sister and anything left like the lemon balm seeds I'll have to think what to do with, I think there use to be a seed swap in town?   I did go through my seeds and worked out what needs dealing with and when and I'll have to get some more compost 

I think my sinuses are playing up again, my left eye feels bruised and my balance is a bit wobbly tonight which I think means it's effecting my ear as well  :|

Lunch was broccoli soup with grated cheese,  I've a couple of portions in the freezer and it's as good as the last one. I intended to make Singapore noodles with the last of the pork but ended up making a peanut / satay type sauce instead.  Very taste although it could probably have done with a bit more chilli.

chicken soup has been made for the next few lunches 🙂 

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Brambling said:
    lovely day weather wise, first day in ages where it was bright and sunny and when I pottered in the garden lunchtime it was quite mild especially for Feb.
    It was gorgeous wasn't it? I was also pottering in the garden and very warm in the sunshine, gave me chance to really look at things and there are green tips on lots of buds and I've a clematis that has romped away. Not long now before everywhere turns green again B)

Today's meals sorted
    Last of the yummy bacon in a lunchtime BLT sarnie
    Posh FR lamb steaks out to defrost for dinner, plan is full on roast style with steamed fresh veggies + mint sauce
    I'm having to defrost two leg steaks because they are frozen & stuck together & I can't prise them apart, bummer, means I'll have to eat the other one tomorrow :D

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Hope your sinuses/ear are feeling better today Brambling 
    The weather is a tad calmer this morning but it's still a pretty horrible day. Fingers crossed this is winter's last kick .
    I'm surprised you all didn't hear me turning the air blue yesterday, I lifted a full box of soap powder out of the cupboard under the sink and the bottom fell out creating a dreadful mess. Once I got it cleared up a quick inspection identified there was a slight leak from the sink and the cardboard had got soggy. Salvaged powder is now in a plastic cake box and my son seems to have fixed the leak though I'm keeping a bowl under the pipe just in case for a few days.
    Sausage, mash, neeps and HM onion gravy for dinner this evening. 
  • justkeepswimmimg
    Options
    Great minds, caronc - sausage, mash and onion gravy here too. I find making onion gravy strangely relaxing, bit like stirring a risotto...Cabbage with mine (the joy of a CFO Savoy cabbage, they go on forever!) Realised too late that the mash (from the freezer) was horseradish flavoured so was probably supposed to go with beef casserole or similar but beggars, choosers, etc 😜
    Poached eggs and avocado on toast (hipster brunch as I call it) for lunch.
    Another fail on the fresh air front today, tomorrow looking more promising...
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,224 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 25 February 2021 at 9:46AM
    Options
    'morning, bit dull out at the moment but on the plus side my Asda order is on the way, amazingly I did it yesterday afternoon & there was a slot for this morning, that's a first for me
    I only went online on the off chance because my milk & salad bits have nearly run out & was thinking I needed to go to the Co-op for a top up today, but once I spotted a delivery slot today it all clicked into place [see what I did there? :D ]
    Only a slight sub, ready sliced fresh mushrooms in place of whole ones, makes no difference to how I intend to use them. I secretly hoped any mushroom sub would be button ones, but failed there

Lunch, some sort of salad sarnie
    Dinner, depending on use by dates on the shopping delivery it may be roast chicken or salmon fillet
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    JKS I start my onions in the baby slow cooker so no stirring needed which suits me these days before finishing it in a pan once they are cooked.
    It's sunny and mild here so the garden beckons and I really must clean the patio doors they are absolutely filthy!
    Grocery order to finalise later and that is about as exciting as today is going to get, roll on the time when the highlights of the week aren't just "meal plan Wednesday" and Tesco delivering lol.
    Cauli & macaroni cheesy pasta bake for dinner tonight. Lunch is tbc probably a sandwich or toastie.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 February 2021 at 5:45PM
    Options
    My sinus issues have moved from my left side of to right   :/ I've started taking my antihistamine tablets as sometimes they will help although I didn't really want to start taking them this early.  I dozed off last night in the chair and woke up uncomfortable about 8.15pm and took myself to bed, I woke up about 11pm and had problems getting back off to sleep afterward so today I'm still a bit fuzzy brained  :s  His lordship who is a creature of habit was a little miffed with me as he likes to come downstairs just after 9pm every night for snack and a cuddle and I denied him that  :)

My internet connection has gotten gradually worst during lockdown and following a really bad skype work call yesterday I bit the bullet and called Sky to see what we could negotiate.  As I had never got around to moving my land line from BT  (slapped wrist) I seem to be saving the cost of the land line plus a little extra on top and I'm getting a lot better internet speed and a booster (my line is bad) it does help that I don't need anything more than the basic TV options.  It won't happen until the 10th March so I'll probably be almost back in the office  :*  But I did question the poor guy a couple of times that it included the land line, just goes to show I should have done it a while ago when my nephew was nagging his mother and me 

Lunch was a bowl of my chicken soup which has come in handy at the moment, as you know it is medicinal  :)  Not sure about dinner as I haven't taken anything out of the freezer today, it could be AF fish and chips, eggs or something vegetarian as I've a lot of veg in the fridge, It will depend what time i finish work we are currently not on a call but one of my colleagues has a habit of calling the team just before 5pm 

My cameila buds survived the cold two flowers out and just one fallen off, but lots of healty looking buds.  A trip around the garden lunchtime and i spied a few daffodils and narcissus in flower 

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • justkeepswimmimg
    Options
    Been a gorgeous sunny day here and finally managed a lunchtime walk, tbh it’s the only thing (apart from the cheeky end of working day gin 🍸😉) that’s kept me sane today. Quick and easy quiche and beans at my desk for lunch and then after a very long day, I threw together prawns and feta in a tomato sauce, served with salad and crusty bread.

I am truly grateful to still be gainfully employed but I wouldn’t mind just a couple of days of watching box sets and baking banana bread...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback