Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Cooking for one (Mark Three) - Page 1336

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

edited 13 January 2018 at 8:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
13.5K replies 854.6K views

Replies

• caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening everyone, 
    I'm afraid I rely on my kids when it comes to phones PN, my current one (a gift) is too clever by far as far as I'm concerned :lol: so can offer no advice. However, I do know that giff gaff sell refurbished unlocked phones which if you wanted something cheap as a spare could be worth a look.
    I was actually dry here today! :smile: Once Tesco had been I made the most of it in the garden and my brown bin is pretty much full now. I had hoped to get my begonias etc. moved to the greenhouse but by the time I got to that point I had run out of bendiness! The remaining tom plants in the conservatory have been composted. The toms from them have been added to the trays where they should ripen nicely. There's a lot more of the green ones picked from the greenhouse plants now ripe so I'll get them processed and frozen over the weekend. 
    Younger son has been to Betty's and is bringing Fat Rascals, parkin and curd tarts up the road with him tomorrow yum :yum:
    Lunch was a BLT and tonight I'm having a "posh" fish finger sarnie with tartare sauce, mushy peas and oven chips. 

• candygirlcandygirl Forumite
    29.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi guys .Have made P n L soup today,  n crispy potato peelings , with cheese n chilli .Autumnal comfort food 😋
    Hope you're all ok xx
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm another one replying on the young'ums to sort any phone problems for me 🙂 when I got this phone my nephew was working in a phone shop so 4 or so years later I've still got the family and friends rates until I change it so I'm nursing a dodgy battery as long as I can 😁 a lot of the guys (usually young) are very patient in phone shops 

Farway if Hampshire goes to tier 2 I fear we won't be far behind as there is talk of Brighton going the same way (2 universities in the city) and they're in the next county, we're also only 40 mins by train to London 😐 oh well what will be will be.  I'm sure work will continue to keep us busy if we lock down again.  My colleague in Holland emailed today to confirm that he's tested positive, he's been saying he feels as sick as a dog and off sick since Tuesday.  

Another grey damp day and the weekend isn't looking any brighter 😐 I need to sort out my mini greenhouse as I only stood it upright and threw stuff in anyhow when it fell over at the weekend and it needs putting straight and weigh down until Spring

lunch was a UFO HM RM from the freezer and turned out to be cottage pie with root veg mash, braised red cabbage, tenderstem broccoli and French beans (more veg than pie 😁). I cba to cook a proper dinner and it wasn't require so I crumbed some turkey strips in spiced breadcrumbs and cooked in the AF and popped them in a pita with lettuce.  Since then I have eaten the vanilla ice cream left in the freezer from Saturday I do like a good vanilla ice cream and it was on offer 😁
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Today's total scoff-fest has been: 
    2 crumpets/marg.
    Chips/2 fishcakes.
    Whole tin of rice pudding/jam. 
    Pack of doritos.
    4 squares of chocolate. 
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dull & wet  day out again, if the whole country goes into lock down next week as forecast it will not as easy for those with gardens with the dark / wet days,

Passed stage 2 & 3 of the "see a doctor" triage yesterday.
    Dr rang later, quick review of symptoms etc, said she would arrange a "Red Hub" appointment.
    Yep, never heard of them either

Just after four the Red Hub phoned, appointment at five, all very cloak & daggerish, turn right, park near red & white barriers, side door, knock & wait, & we'll phone your mobile.
    Mask on, Masked Nurse put PPE overshoes on me, hands squirted, into see Dr who was fully PPEd up
    Very thorough examination, mind you as it's only slightly easier to get into a Red Hub than it is Fort Knox I was the only patient
    Now I've got some tablets and next is blood & x ray, which may become harder if a lock down occurs, have to wait & see

Lunch the last PB baguette, with cheese & salady filling
    Dinner, not ideal but I'll use up the LO HM C of Celery soup, defrosting a few slices to dunk in
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • edited 31 October at 11:20AM
    PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 31 October at 11:20AM
    If we go into another full lockdown, here it'd be in the presence of two who "don't do social distancing", one of whom is a "it's a hoax/G5" nutter.  The resident LL isn't over-enamoured of the whole thing, but is keen to stick to the rules, thinking "it's better to keep to the rules than try to make a stand on a personal opinion".   One will be leaving in 2 weeks' time, I don't know if the rules would allow a replacement to arrive ... one is due to start a new job next week in retail, so they'd lose the job they only got yesterday.  One works in a care home so will be going to work as usual.  One works, but I have no idea what at, for whom, how long; might be a construction/public services type of worker, seems to wear a hi-vis and disappears about 6am... so they might/not keep that job + they might/not actually have another home somewhere else they'll go to. 

Mostly though, everybody stays in their rooms except to go to/from the kitchen.  There is a massive living room (probably 15'x25') that nobody uses.   We all "speak/hello in passing" but, mostly, nothing more in depth than that...  except there is one smoker so we do chat when our escapes to outside coincide (say 10 minutes once a day). 

The biggest "get together events" have been the two recent police raids, one was a full armed raid last week, so that was three of us out in the street having a nosey.  I was nosiest and got closer, saw more, wandered furthest/closest.... not too close, once you hear those assault rifles crack into position you think "I'll stay on this side of the road then"
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    Sounds like a bit of an ordeal Farway but at least the Dr was thorough.
    Very stormy here today, various parks etc. have been closed due to risk of falling debris!
    CFO ends today as my son should be back late afternoon. 
    LO mushy peas on toast topped with a poached egg & HP sauce - proper CFO food lol  :disappointed:
    Peri peri chicken thighs tonight with HM wedges, corn cob and salad. 

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dorset is definitely going downhill from when I was growing up PN, but I suppose that was the 70s and there was no university then ;)   

My annual thyroid  blood test is overdue so I called the surgery yesterday, the receptionist agreed but can't print the form off without my doc agreement (I've never seen my doc ) I should be able to collect early next week, I did query would I be allowed in as there are big signs on the door saying go away.  My flu jab was at the bottom of the stairs via the fire door, I was surprised that a blow dart wasn't used 🙄

I've had one of those days  :/ I drove out to the farm shop and half way there the skies opened, 8 people were queuing in the heavy rain (it's 2 at a time inside) so I turned around and headed home as the local radio reported a accident in town and a major road closed, I don't have to go into town to get home but it did deter me from going to the SM until after lunch.  Lidl was very busy with customers were trying to work around restocking cages and staff shelf filling and no cauliflower, broccoli or mushrooms. As I put the last item in my bags I remembered my card case was still on the dining table  :s and I had £5 and change in my wallet 🙄 luckily I live 5 min drive away, probably just as well I didn't go in the farm shop as that's 7 miles.  I picked up the veg I couldn't get on the way back in T Exp. 

lunch was cheese and coleslaw jacket potato.  Dinner was salmon, new potatoes, broccoli and runner beans (HG from the freezer)    I needed my glass of red with strictly 😁

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • edited 1 November at 9:28AM
    PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 November at 9:28AM
    Overall, the changes this makes to my life are few.  I bought loo roll in the week, so no worries there :)  

The main difference will be whether people put their houses up for sale or not - fewer will.... and it was already a quiet time of year for it.  One bungalow I don't really want (the one where the bus parks outside next door, so, if a bus is at the stop you have to turn in front of it and risk being T-boned to get on/off the drive) reduced yesterday by just £10k, so that's now £270k but I always just felt if I wait a bit longer I can do better.  Not after cheaper prices, I'm after one I prefer, a home I enjoy driving up to... not much to ask :) 

I can't change what's happening, all I can do is continue to stay in, wash my hands, not have expectations :) 

At the end of this month I have a "big birthday" occurring, one that ends with a "0".  I hadn't planned anything, so nothing will change there.  It's not even on a Friday or Saturday when one feels justified in getting a takeaway ... so I doubt I'll bother to "treat" myself.  
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nothing much will change for me either, except maybe harder getting a "slot" for delivery, it had become easier.
    My postponed W8rose slot in weeks time is looking like gold dust now, maybe I should bung it on fleabay?
    I had been tempted to cancel it & go elsewhere but not now
    Brambling said:
    My annual thyroid  blood test is overdue so I called the surgery yesterday, the receptionist agreed but can't print the form off without my doc agreement (I've never seen my doc ) I should be able to collect early next week, I did query would I be allowed in as there are big signs on the door saying go away.  My flu jab was at the bottom of the stairs via the fire door, I was surprised that a blow dart wasn't used 🙄
    I laughed at the image that conjured up. Next stage will be stand outside & poke your arm through a hole in the wall :)
    Rain & wind earlier but clearing now, I may venture into the garden to dispose of my accumulated tea leaves

Up late, didn't fancy breakfast by then so lunch is breakfast, overnight soaked porridge with sliced banana, yoghurt & honey
    Dinner, salad time.
    It'll be baked cheesy spud, with boiled eggs & usual stuff. With a quick boast about picking my own tomatoes in November >:)
    Just managed that part, the plants do not look good but the toms are fine