Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

Cooking for one (Mark Three) - Page 1333

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

edited 13 January 2018 at 8:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
13.5K replies 854.5K views

Replies

• caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening everyone, 
    Mushroom, spinach & filo sound my kind of thing CG yum :smile:
    Yes I've found the AF really good (and quick) for reheating things like sausage rolls Farway and whereas I'm loathe to pop the big oven on for a small item I'm happy to use the AF, though I'm not sure it's ideal for my waistline!! :wink:
    It's been a gloomy & cold day, it never really brightened up and with the clocks changing it was nearly dark well before the official sunset time - welcome to winter! :disappointed: . Apart from a bin run to pop out the food caddy for emptying tomorrow and a quick pick up some rubbish that blown into the garden I've not been out. 
    My son arrived back at his wee house okay and apart from it being cold all was okay, it's a tiny space so wouldn't take long to warm up once the CH was switched on. When he comes back up he'll set it so it comes on if the temperatures dip so there's no risk of frozen pipes. 
    I've taken some braising steak out to defrost for tomorrow to casserole.

• edited 25 October at 8:33PM
    BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 October at 8:33PM
    Evening all 🙂

as much as as I love my sister it's nice to have my house back 😁 and his lordship being a antisocial cat is happier as well 🙄

Farway the bad weather started early evening yesterday when it blew my mini greenhouse over blocking the back door 😳 and my BIL had a bad journey up from the New Forest this morning.  I think we are in for a wet week

Being a independent Brambling I picked up and sorted my greenhouse myself last night and seem to have tweaked my neck so today in feeling a little sorry for myself  :| I was told it was my own fault for not excepting help from my nephew, it was probably not helped by me attempting to clear the moss from my flat roof this morning, I was taking advantage of someone else in the house to scrape me up should I fall off the ladder 😁. 

Lunch was some brie and crackers, I was invited friends this afternoon and had tea and cake so dinner was LO chicken with salad, not exactly salad weather but it needs using up

Caronc I know you like Scandi drama, did you see DNA on BBC4 last night from Denmark? Worth watching 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Brambling, reminds me to remove cover from my mini greenhouse, it's a sheltered position but not immune
    Last winter my grapefruit blew over and I was unable to get the back door open, had to go out front and round the back to sort it.
    It's in same place and a bit larger now so could happen again I suppose.
    That's a hard Southern winter, blocked in by a grapefruit bush :D:

The Morries "best" bangers are as nice as the 4sda ones, nice to know I have a suitable alternative
    I'm still looking at the Approved Foods site, not a lot for me, did find OOD chutney which will be fine, and dishwasher tabs but will persevere
    A problem I've found is my basket empties over night which is PIA, it's not supposed to once signed in

Today's lunch is two more AF sausage rolls + brown sauce
    Dinner, use up, I've stale bread, plus tin of H's spaghetti on offer [50p], looking like tinned spag on toast but I may pop a couple of the bangers alongside once I get going

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hope the pizza wait was worth it PN. Most pizzas are OK though, have to be really bad to fail
    Reading your kitchen tales one can see how CV would quickly spread in student accommodation, with many never having had to cook / prep food before and just mingling in a kitchen with trial & error

Can't get used to times now with BST ending,
    At least the car clock is now right time, as is the CH timer which came on while I was in bed, as intended.

• edited 26 October at 3:40PM
    PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 October at 3:40PM
    Farway said:
    Hope the pizza wait was worth it PN. Most pizzas are OK though, have to be really bad to fail
    It was a Mr T 67p one :) 
    Pepperoni, for "cheap" it's the best I've encountered.  I've had quite a few in recent months, maybe 3-4. 
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299425011 
    It says ½ a pizza is 383 calories.  I scoffed the lot :) 
    But, it's the first thing I've eaten today, so not too bad overall. 
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good evening everyone, 
    Thanks for the heads up on the Scandi drama Brambling I've added it to my "to watch" list. :smile:
    It's bases on a lot of SM pizzas I'm iffy about (not always cheap either) some are so dense it's like eating the box!! I've found a couple I like so tend to stick to those though only buy when on SC
    Shared kitchen's are a nightmare and sounds as though not much has changed since my shared living days. It was the thing that drove my younger son to get his own place rather than just a smaller share even though it was a much more expensive option and his kitchen is tiny.  I admire you for sticking with it for so long PN <<hug>>
    Winter seems to have arrived here my fleece lined slipper boots have been looked out  as my feet were freezing, they're nice and cosy now :smile: .
    Braised steak with shallots and mushrooms in a beef and red wine gravy. I added lots of thyme and rosemary and it smells amazing. There will be a spare portion and by the looks of it lots of extra gravy which I'll freeze. I'm having it with mash, peas and baby carrots. Proper winter comfort food :smiley:

• caronccaronc Forumite
    6.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes finding somewhere decent to rent is hard especially if you are on a low/irregular/hard to prove income. Sounds as thopugh where you are is good as far as shares go and LL runs a tightish ship. Hopefully it wont be too long to you find a place to buy PN

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't help but think that's going to be cold in winter PN a friend of mine has a second lounge which the previous owners converted from the garage (they replaced the door) and it can get very cold at night and it's attached to the house

Farway I meant to say yesterday for pies etc in the AF put a strip of tin foil (double over) grease proof or parchment paper under it so you can use it to lift stuff from the basket, it doesn't interfere with the cook but needs to take the weight of the food.

Back to work and 300+ emails 🥺 luckily a quiet day to catch up. Weather was dry so I was able to get out in the garden lunch time to put a weed suppressant over my veg patch to try and defer the creeping buttercup and rampant celandine plus the b****y brambles from taking over by spring

Lazy food today lunch was a gammon sandwich, I cooked a joint when the oven was on for the roast at the weekend to utilise the oven.  Dinner was the second pizza sub to clear the box from the freezer with some HM chips

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all, another wet one here so I skipped going to check my volunteer border and self isolated in the front spare bedroom [office] while the cleaners were here.
    They don't "do" this room

Heard yesterday one of my nieces is in hospital with CV, Oldham way, she's 30ish, a nurse. :'(
    Seems all her shift caught it and are now ill or isolating. Shows how easily it transfers, and they would have been PPE'd up to the eye balls, can't be too careful can you?

More medical notes, 'phone call this morning from Dr's, would I like to book my 'flu jab?
    Yes please, Saturday 7th booked, need to go masked and SD queue until called but no doubt it will be well organised, my surgery is good like that being a small local practice
    Brambling, AF lifting items out, sounds good idea, but so far managed with tongs onto the rolls

Lunch last of the sausage rolls in AF
    Dinner, I could really do with Caron's winter food but may rummage & see what  comforting dull / damp day food can find in the freezer.
    I know there's some small pies in there, pie, chips + peas sounds good at the moment

• edited 27 October at 11:44AM
    PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 27 October at 11:44AM
    Farway said:
    PPE'd up to the eye balls, can't be too careful can you?

One of the studies/reports re transference, within Hospital environments, established that it's not the patients they're catching it from, but each other, from somebody being careless.  e.g. a relaxing coffee room, administrator comes round with an envelope/card because somebody's leaving .. BANG, there it goes. 

I'm going into the Mouth of the Dragon in a few hours.  Dental appointment :)