PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,326 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Bit of a sort out paperwork day today, nothing pressing but can't keep shoving it aside forever.
    Last night's CBA dinner eventually became a plate of HM AF chips with tom ketchup and a couple of pickled gherkins. Very healthy with two veg rainbows right there :)
    Porridge breakfast again
    Sown my tomatoes, I'll probably sow some climbing French beans later, loo roll innards on standby
    Dinner tonight is planned as cauliflower cheese, I got an offer cauli from L yesterday, all prepped & only needs sorting, and cheese sauce assembling using nuker
    Lunch, back to cheese toasty with use up bread
    candygirl said:
    Not sure what I'm eating yet.Have just got my shopping delivered, n there's Mexicana cheese n tiger bread  !What more could a Girl ask for? ;)
    Had to Google the cheese, I'm not a spice / chilli lover so guessing it's not one I'd choose, my taste buds were formed in the 1950s and honed by Vesta curries in the 60s :#

Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Farway
    edited 11 March 2020 at 3:24PM
    Options
    Climbing beans sown, listened to Budget, hooray Brambling, A303 cleared in budget, only about twenty years more & we can zoom through a tunnel after 15 years of roadworks to build the tunnel that is.
    Can't say I'll miss watching those free range pigs in their little arks near Stonehenge
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    I'm afraid sowing anything hasn't hit my to yet Farway, I'll need to go through my seeds soon though I think I have plenty for this year. 
    We have snow/ice forecast for later and it is certainly much colder today. My nephew is off to college but my sis is holed up in my dining room working from there today. I was going to hoover today but it has given me an excuse not to lol. 😉 Lunch was the LO meatballs and tonight I'm cooking lovely looking FR pork chops for us with HM cauli cheese, carrots and baked potatoes. I might just make a large tray of spuds and do something with the extra tomorrow. It looks as though my sis & nephew will be here until Friday if not longer so I need to have a think about the meal plan for another couple of days of not being CFO. My well stocked cupboards and freezers have been a godsend these last few weeks. 😊
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 March 2020 at 5:49PM
    Options
    Farway said:
    Brambling, A303 cleared in budget, only about twenty years more & we can zoom through a tunnel after 15 years of roadworks to build the tunnel that is.
    Can't say I'll miss watching those free range pigs in their little arks near Stonehenge
    I'll hold off booking my holiday cottage just yet Farway :smiley: it'll will get a lot worst before it gets better  :s

Caronc you are putting ideas in my head for the weekend as I have a FR thick pork chop in the freezer and a cauli in the fridge, i'll have to see if my sister & nephew reply to my invite for dinner over the weekend as I want to clear the rolled half leg of lamb from the freezer.  People laugh at our well stocked cupboards and freezers but we are proved right occasionally  ;) 

On my forage into W8itrose for a lemon lunchtime I saw that they had some toilet rolls on the shelves the first time in a week, the unrational part of my brain went 'buy some' then my more rational part of the brain reminded me I didn't need any so I left them all on the shelf.  I could see the majority of people seemed to have a pack in their trolley.  :|

Part of a discussion at work today was children don't seem so affected by the CV so I just made a comment about not letting the children take control having read The Lord of the Flies my young colleague seemed confused so I asked if she had read the book she said no but she had seen all the films ?? I'm assuming she had mistook what I said for Lord of the Rings! She did look slightly horrified at the suggestion she read it  :s  It was required reading at school when I was 12 or 13 'poor piggy  :(   Frequently us older ones educate the young'ums the important things from history -  ET, The Wombles, Close Encounters, Gremlins  and Siberian 'amsters two of us once did the whole it's a rat sketch to explain whilst another colleague had called the large rat visiting his garden Basil  :D

Lunch was the last of my HM chicken and veg soup.  Dinner will probably be the last of the 'meat' pizza I made of Monday
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • cornishchick
    Options
    dinner for me was the last of some bacon chowder I made on Monday, ( basically bacon bits, stock cube, what root veg I have and powered mash to thicken. tasted great.
    my partner is coming down to visit tonight, I've got him trained to bring me food not flowers lol and as he works for the sparks company I get some amazing treats, and he loves to see me happy so we will see what he brings tonight. 
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.

Living on my memories, making new ones.
    declutter 104/2020

November GC £96.09/£100.
    December GC £00.00/£100
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just been to see Military Wives,  which was brill, n got chippy tea on the way back ! Happy days 😋😂
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Farway
    Options
    Into town while still allowed :D. Usual Thursday shop & mooching but I did decide to replenish some of my frozen MFOs from Iceland, just in case the CV situation gets worse, I'm well in the "at risk" category so need to be a bit wary of mingling, luckily at the times I go shopping it's quite peaceful anyway
    PN, I've bought the £1 pack of fishcakes to sample them
    Topped up my pickles etc in W8rose before it closes, spotted one reason for lack of profit. I buy Coleman's mustard in a squeezey bottle. for convenience not MSE. Bought one this morning, Asda = £1 W8rose = £1.79
    Found a loo roll mountain in Savers so I bought my usual £3.99 pack, they are limiting to two max per person, good idea
    Lunch, back to cheese toastie
    Not sure about dinner, I've a volunteer meeting this afternoon, so will pop in Morries after to check out the garden stuff, I need a bag of compost but will take the opportunity for a YS Morries mooch and see if anything, apart from doughnuts, catches my eye
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    Lol re the Lord of the Flies /Lord of the Rings confusion😂. My nephew has just been cast as Piggy in his college production. I read book in my early teens and then again for O Grade. It mustn't be on the school reading lists anymore as it was new to my nephew and his peers.
    With all the emerging restrictions I'm hoping my younger son can get back from Bangladesh on Sunday 🤞.
    I have friends coming over for a cuppa and a catch up this afternoon, we'll avoid our usual hugs. 
    Crackers and cheese tonight and this evening dinner will be an easy option of breaded fish, coleslaw, salad and either hash browns or HM wedges. 
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 March 2020 at 7:38PM
    Options
    Farway said:
     PN, I've bought the £1 pack of fishcakes to sample them

For £1 you can't go wrong, worth a try.  

I went out early this morning, well, 9ish... popped into 4ldi.  Got some wine gums, chocolate, 2 jars of coffee, pack of veg samosas.  I've left the samosas in the boot of the car as it's cold, so they'll probably be tomorrow's food. 

I opened a naan bread pack and risked the nuker... final piece of cheese on top of that with a splash of chilli ketchup, nice.  That's it for the fridge.... I only ever had that cheese in there, now it's gone. I no longer use the fridge. Hurrah.  I've also opened the wine gums.

Re Mexicana Cheese, I bought that about 2 years ago. I thought it was tasty enough, but when you see the £/Kg you just think "I could just grate a chilli onto cheese cheaper" :) so I've not bought it since.  I used it in three meals, as a topping for a jacket spud with some chilli con carne too, to knock up a cauliflower cheese just by melting the cheese on the cauli as it's a soft/melty cheese, in a cheese/onion/potato pie. 

My "stocks" for lockdown currently include >2 dozen noodle pots, 6-8 cheapo packs of noodles, 8 pot rices, 2 packs of naan breads, 2 tins of rice pudding, 2 packs of honey/nut cornflakes, 8-10 pouch rices, a tin of peas, a couple of tins of fruit, 10 packs of flavoured instant mash :) 2 boxes of stuffing .. bound to be some other stuff if I dig around in the food bag, but that's the main bit.   I do need to pick up some gravy granules... if the SHTF then I'd like to be able to make stuffing + instant mash + gravy as a main hot meal :) 

My previous plan I was working was to use all you can eat  every now and again for a big meal - that's now off the cards.  Secondarily, browsing in a supermarket for instant food such as samosas, quiche, sandwich filler - stuff from the chilled section that could be eaten that day without using the fridge... that's also now off the cards, although still going into shops a little bit for now, that'll probably cease or reduce further.  

Chips were another idea... which will need consideration going forward.  

Before there were more options and alternatives, but the world got narrower.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have had two veggie burgers (without buns) and roasted tomatoes and mushy peas for breakfast. Bit of a weird combo, I know. :D

I had a Coop sandwich and a chip sandwich for lunch and dinner. I'm still a bit peckish now...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback