Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Mike997
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    Banks do a lot more than just look at your credit files when they determine whether they want you as a customer. Their criteria for which type of customer they are looking for keep changing. You were just unlucky that you didn't fit the pattern HSBC were looking for at the time. HSBC are known to be picky, you aren't the first one being turned away.

As an aside, you still haven't explained why you'd have £60K in HSBC or Lloyds or Nationwide?

I did, I said above that I don`t want to keep anything above 85k with one bank (Lloyds in that case), to have my money protected under FSCS.
    eskbanker wrote: »
    You clearly see yourself as some sort of catch, over whom banks should be falling over themselves - you're no doubt seeing HSBC's rejection as their loss, and they won't exactly be heartbroken at missing the chance of a lifetime to snare a player, so everyone's happy!

Enjoy your 1%....

Well, seems like we have got very different definition of "service provider/customer" relation. I will stick to my one, you can stick to your one and everything is going to be fine.
  • Hi have a Lloyds account that pays £ little or nothing per month now so started switch to HSBC to get the £175 "brucie Bonus" my salary is paid into Santander 123 account and found out talking to HSBC that the "offer" of £175 only applies if you switch your salary payments into them ( even if your salary per month is less than the £1750 Pm they require you can top that up with payment in from another account ....however you cannot opt out to leave your salary where it is ( in this case Santander) without losing the bonus----
    Question is after qualifying time I assume one could ( should one wish to ) move the salary payments back to Santander and then fund the £1750 by "switching monthly" in and out of HSBC as I was doing with Lloyds ?

Anyway a heads up for you ref the HSBC you HAVE to have your salary going in to get the Bonus .....
    Now I need to check if removing my salary from Santander 123 means I lose privileges at Santander or not --me thinks not as I have 2 x 123 accounts and to get around the paying in I just transfer money from one account to the other so I don't think they are insistent on a "salary" as source of deposit per month ...unless you guys and gals know better?
    TIA
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi have a Lloyds account that pays £ little or nothing per month now so started switch to HSBC to get the £175 "brucie Bonus" my salary is paid into Santander 123 account and found out talking to HSBC that the "offer" of £175 only applies if you switch your salary payments into them ( even if your salary per month is less than the £1750 Pm they require you can top that up with payment in from another account ....however you cannot opt out to leave your salary where it is ( in this case Santander) without losing the bonus----
    Question is after qualifying time I assume one could ( should one wish to ) move the salary payments back to Santander and then fund the £1750 by "switching monthly" in and out of HSBC as I was doing with Lloyds ?

Anyway a heads up for you ref the HSBC you HAVE to have your salary going in to get the Bonus .....
    Now I need to check if removing my salary from Santander 123 means I lose privileges at Santander or not --me thinks not as I have 2 x 123 accounts and to get around the paying in I just transfer money from one account to the other so I don't think they are insistent on a "salary" as source of deposit per month ...unless you guys and gals know better?
    TIA
    The switch terms and account terms govern your account, not what someone told you. Hundreds on here, maybe thousands, don't pay their salaries in yet enjoy all the benefits of HSBC Advance.

And reference Santander, no mainstream bank in the country mandates that your salary is deposited there.

Glad we've cleared that up. :)
  • Marigold123
    Marigold123 Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Homer J, the HSBC Advance account has a minimum pay-in requirement, from an outside source, of £1,750 per month, but that can be from anywhere you like, and it doesn't all need to go in at once, or to stay there. You can move money in once a month, and move it out again, and it qualifies you for their monthly saver at the preferential rate of 5%. I keep a balance of £1 in there the rest of the month, and have never had any problems.

HSBC have an overseas call centre, who are normally pretty good, but I do find that not all of their overseas staff are as well informed as they should be, and can be, how shall I say this, a little bit inclined to give you their own interpretations, (ie. make things up). Not being able to get reliable information, first time, every time, is one of the reasons I wouldn't want to rely on HSBC for my main banking.

From HSBC's website:

To be eligible for HSBC Advance, customers will need to pay in a minimum of £1,750 per month or £10,500 over 6 months.

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/current-accounts/products/advance/

Hope this helps.
    A penny saved is a penny gained
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 September 2019 at 6:23PM
    Options
    Mike997 wrote: »
    eskbanker wrote: »
    You clearly see yourself as some sort of catch, over whom banks should be falling over themselves - you're no doubt seeing HSBC's rejection as their loss, and they won't exactly be heartbroken at missing the chance of a lifetime to snare a player, so everyone's happy!

Enjoy your 1%....
    Well, seems like we have got very different definition of "service provider/customer" relation.
    Not at all, I do see myself as a customer of service providers but understand that such relationships (as with any others) have to have something in it for both parties and so don't take it to the extreme of expecting them to fawn over me and satisfy my every whim while I throw my weight around like I was God's gift.
    I will stick to my one, you can stick to your one and everything is going to be fine.
    I wouldn't dream of sticking to one! Like many on here I use multiple current account providers for resilience and multiple savings providers to achieve decent interest on my cash pot, and am quite able and willing to move between providers as and when I choose.

Edit: perhaps I misread your post here, and you meant sticking to one definition rather than one provider?
    colsten wrote: »
    As an aside, you still haven't explained why you'd have £60K in HSBC or Lloyds or Nationwide?
    I did, I said above that I don`t want to keep anything above 85k with one bank (Lloyds in that case), to have my money protected under FSCS.
    That's not answering the question though! We weren't asking why you'd restrict the amount you'd have with a single provider (to which the answer is indeed FSCS coverage) but why you'd choose to put a large cash sum with a provider paying rubbish interest rates....
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Homer J, the HSBC Advance account has a minimum pay-in requirement, from an outside source, of £1,750 per month, but that can be from anywhere you like, and it doesn't all need to go in at once, or to stay there. You can move money in once a month, and move it out again, and it qualifies you for their monthly saver at the preferential rate of 5%. I keep a balance of £1 in there the rest of the month, and have never had any problems.

I wonder if they would accept First Direct as an "outside source" ? My money is with Marcus, who would transfer it to FD, and then I can transfer it in / out of HSBC (if the rules allow!) back to FD and back to Marcus!!!
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • Marigold123
    edited 1 September 2019 at 5:42PM
    Options
    I wonder if they would accept First Direct as an "outside source" ? My money is with Marcus, who would transfer it to FD, and then I can transfer it in / out of HSBC (if the rules allow!) back to FD and back to Marcus!!!

As long as it's from a different bank, which First Direct is, you're fine.

I like to move it out to a different bank from the one I moved it in from, as I don't want comments from anyone looking at my account who thinks it's their business to judge me. They know perfectly well that some people do it that way, and it's more than worth it to them to gain the majority of customers who don't, so it's just a personal preference for me.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I already move money in/out the same transfer account with another bank. Nobody has ever queried it.
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • Marigold123
    Options
    I already move money in/out the same transfer account with another bank. Nobody has ever queried it.

No, they'd have no reason to. I just do it the way I do for comfort. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure