Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just going to resurrect an old discussion; mainly because I can't see anywhere else to put my post.

I have been with First Direct for a very long time. I am very happy with them, if I have ever had a problem (very infrequently) they have resolved it for me. However, looking at the incentives offered by some other accounts; is there a way of taking them up, but not closing my FD account? Alternatively open a new account - get their incentives and sneak back to FD ?!
    Thank you for reading this message.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just going to resurrect an old discussion; mainly because I can't see anywhere else to put my post.

I have been with First Direct for a very long time. I am very happy with them, if I have ever had a problem (very infrequently) they have resolved it for me. However, looking at the incentives offered by some other accounts; is there a way of taking them up, but not closing my FD account? Alternatively open a new account - get their incentives and sneak back to FD ?!
    Search the board for the term donor account.
  • camaj
    camaj Posts: 504 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This weeks email, and the banking section of the site, both incorrectly say you need to pay-in £1,500 a month to get the Nat-west/RBS £175 switch deal. AFAIK you only have to pay-in that amount once, they even tell you that they'll pay the money soon after.

I can't see anything on the RBS/Natwest offer page that prevents you from opening up an account for both and switching two accounts! Has anyone seen any indication that they won't pay for that?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    camaj wrote: »
    This weeks email, and the banking section of the site, both incorrectly say you need to pay-in £1,500 a month to get the Nat-west/RBS £175 switch deal. AFAIK you only have to pay-in that amount once, they even tell you that they'll pay the money soon after.
    No, you're confusing two separate things - the £175 switching deal (to a range of accounts, including Select) necessitates a one-off £1500 but the Reward account in particular earns cashback if £1500 is deposited monthly.

Hence the correct statement in the email (and similar in the article):
    For the £175, switch, pay in £1,500+ and log in online by 12 Jul (NatWest) or 2 Aug (RBS). Then use your debit card at least once a month. For the cashback, pay in at least £1,500/mth
  • quirkydeptless
    quirkydeptless Posts: 1,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 24 April 2019 at 7:13AM
    Options
    camaj wrote: »
    I can't see anything on the RBS/Natwest offer page that prevents you from opening up an account for both and switching two accounts! Has anyone seen any indication that they won't pay for that?

https://personal.rbs.co.uk/personal/current-accounts/select_account.html?intcam=PC_PC_HP-TB-EX-DESK_NS-DEF

Click on switch details

"We're sorry but if you've had cashback for switching to Royal Bank of Scotland (or NatWest) since October 2017 you won't be able to get it again. " :(

The switch needs to be done by the 28th of June, and on the 14th of June, there will be be a number of Tesco Current accounts looking for a new home ;)
    Retired 1st July 2021.
    This is not investment advice.
    Your money may go "down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... down and up and down and up and down and up and down ... I got all tricked up and came up to this thing, lookin' so fire hot, a twenty out of ten..."
  • Gaz1967
    Options
    I have a nationwide flex account and want to upgrade to the flex plus account. With the referral offer nationwide have can a friend refer me so I can upgrade and we both get £100?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Gaz1967 wrote: »
    I have a nationwide flex account and want to upgrade to the flex plus account. With the referral offer nationwide have can a friend refer me so I can upgrade and we both get £100?

There’s a referrals board for that...
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Gaz1967 wrote: »
    You can't benefit from the recommend a friend offer unless you're switching in a non-Nationwide account so an upgrade wouldn't count:
    Once the recommended friend receives the link from the recommender they must then complete a full switch using the Nationwide Current Account Switch Team to transfer an existing current account with another provider to a Nationwide FlexAccount, FlexDirect or FlexPlus current account
    Not massively difficult to work around this if you open another account elsewhere first though....
  • Dewpoint
    Dewpoint Posts: 147 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm always suspicious of any bank that has to offer bribes to get your custom. First Direct/HSBC work for their shareholders not their customers, and if their "customer service" is so good they shouldn't have to bribe people to open accounts.
    Personally, I've had a savings account with FD over the past few years and I've not been impressed at all. I've banked with Nationwide for 20+ years and in my opinion nothing beats them.
  • I-LOV-MONEY
    I-LOV-MONEY Posts: 1,267 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What do you consider wrong with FD?
    Thank you for reading this message.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts