Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    trixta83 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm saving for a house so have quite a bit stored away. Any ideas why the Santander 123 account is not listed in the top tables as getting 1.5% back on a easy access account is pretty good even taking into account the fees?

Because, when you allow for the fees, the resulting rate is not a "top" rate. Even with £20k, paying £60 per year out of the £~300 annual interest brings that rate down to, at best, an easily-beatable 1.2%.
  • madmum8335
    Options
    Apologies if this has been asked before.

OH and I have a joint Nationwide FexDirect account and the 5% interest rate has just come to an end (dropping to 1%).

If I opened a new account in just my name, would I be able to get the 5% for the next year?

TIA
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    madmum8335 wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before.

OH and I have a joint Nationwide FexDirect account and the 5% interest rate has just come to an end (dropping to 1%).

If I opened a new account in just my name, would I be able to get the 5% for the next year?

TIA
    Even if the T&Cs say not, somethings work due to loopholes in NW systems.

I'd try it and see...for both of you; there's a chance the first named on the joint ac may not get 5% and the other get it.

For sure you can each have 5% regular savers whilst having one joint account.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    soulsaver wrote: »
    Even if the T&Cs say not, somethings work due to loopholes in NW systems.

I'd try it and see...for both of you; there's a chance the first named on the joint ac may not get 5% and the other get it.
    The answer to the question is yes, if they haven't previously had a sole FlexDirect account paying 5% AER...isn't it?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 February 2019 at 8:13PM
    Options
    Best bank of 2019 easy!
    Join with the below link and get spam
    join.bozo.com/r/SPAMMER

Smell that :spam: :spam: :spam:
    ====
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,993 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The answer to the question is yes, if they haven't previously had a sole FlexDirect account paying 5% AER...isn't it?
    Got a link? :D
  • WeWereOnABreak
    Options
    I have several bank accounts with different providers. I’m assuming I can choose to switch any of them, and there is no requirement for that to be my main one (i.e. the one where I get paid my salary).

Is it therefore possible to use the switching service on several accounts individually to different new banks so I can take advantage of several offers? I already have standings orders set up across all my accounts to meet minimum monthly deposit requirements, so these can easily be amended accordingly to meet the new banks’ requirements.

Has anyone else done this with success? I feel like I’m missing something obvious!
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have several bank accounts with different providers. I’m assuming I can choose to switch any of them, and there is no requirement for that to be my main one (i.e. the one where I get paid my salary).

Is it therefore possible to use the switching service on several accounts individually to different new banks so I can take advantage of several offers? I already have standings orders set up across all my accounts to meet minimum monthly deposit requirements, so these can easily be amended accordingly to meet the new banks’ requirements.

Has anyone else done this with success? I feel like I’m missing something obvious!

Yes, looks like you have been missing out. Whilst many bank account may specify a minimum monthly deposit, that does not usually have be in the form of a salary.
  • Jami74
    Jami74 Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm looking to put away £100 a month for the next year or so and want to keep it separate to my other money, but need it to be easy access just in case.

I've been looking at the TSB Classic Plus account that pays 5% on up to £1500. The terms are to pay in £500 per month, be registered for internet banking and be paperless everything.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I just want to make sure I fully understand before I apply. Can I pay in £500 by standing order every month from my main account that my salary gets paid into, and then transfer back £400? Or, if I happened to have £1500 in there could I just transfer £500 in and then out again a couple of days later?
    Debt Free: 01/01/2020
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure